Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 08:36 AM

662 posts, read 1,048,482 times

Advertisements

Okay, some of you may have remembered me asking if I should buy a new car or fix my current one. I chose to do the latter.

HOWEVER, after paying a $88 diags fee from Nissan (Meh, I had to because I wanted the ''official'' answer) they determined that I have to get my spark plugs changed. Horray! Good news right? Nope! They said it'll cost:

wait for it....

$500

Nope, and they said that's not guaranteed to fix the problem. Apparently I have to take half the engine apart, which I'm willing to do if I can save $400 (thank you Nissan for your ingenious design!).

Now, I'm wondering do I have to just replace the spark plugs, or do I have to change the ignition coils too? I got a diags code of P0300.

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 08:55 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
If you are going to save the money in doing it yourself, invest that money into buying new coils. They will probably run you $100-$150. Putting money/work into older car means you have plans to keep it a bit longer. Fix it once, especially if you are a DIYer.

Changing the plugs on your car does require additional work but that's typical of modern vehicles. Just make sure you invest in a torque wrench when you start doing work on your own car.

GL.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:07 AM

85 posts, read 432,507 times
Youtube is your friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMVaEi2UVeo
Spark Plug / Ignition Coil Replacement

How many miles on these plugs? Check your vacuum hoses as well to make sure you don't have a leak. I wouldn't do the coil packs, your code is not specific to one cylinder.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketir View Post
Youtube is your friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMVaEi2UVeo

How many miles on these plugs? Check your vacuum hoses as well to make sure you don't have a leak. I wouldn't do the coil packs, your code is not specific to one cylinder.
From what I am told, they are the original plugs (bought it used). 134,000 miles.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
If you are going to save the money in doing it yourself, invest that money into buying new coils. They will probably run you $100-$150. Putting money/work into older car means you have plans to keep it a bit longer. Fix it once, especially if you are a DIYer.

Changing the plugs on your car does require additional work but that's typical of modern vehicles. Just make sure you invest in a torque wrench when you start doing work on your own car.

GL.
But I would need to get six new coils right? Their $100 each. Damn.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:25 AM

85 posts, read 432,507 times
at 134k platinum plugs are wore out, but not sure they would throw codes.
Check the second link,

I didn't realize the intake manifold needs to come off. If your not comfortable with that it may make sense to have the dealer do it. There are a lot of vacuum and coolant lines than need to be removed. If you do DYI take lots of pics and take a tape and mark where every hose goes.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:25 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
FWD transverse V engines require extra time to get to the back plugs. It isn't just Nissan and this is one of the reasons long life platinum/iridium etc plugs were invented, so you wouldn't have to do this but once every 100k miles or so.

Next time buy a 4cyl or a RWD vehicle with a longitudinal mounted engine if you want it to be easier.

$500 does seem high though, so doing it yourself is okay, you just need to take your time and make sure you have all the tools you need and that the car is cold. You have less chance of misthreading the plugs and introducing a whole new set of problems.

PO300 is random misfire. Probably should change the plug wires too, if it has them. And yes, the coils could be bad also. That vehicle is 13 years old.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:50 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,467,077 times
I had a P0300 on my car a year ago. it went away and I never had a problem since

Old 09-03-2014, 10:06 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
But I would need to get six new coils right? Their $100 each. Damn.

It's up to you. The problem is P0300 is not specific to which coil. It's multiples misfires. Can you check the log to see if there are other codes that has the specifics coil (if that is part of the problem).

The problem is changing the plugs is extensive work (especially the back ones). So once you have it out, you can elect to not do the coil. The problem is once you put it back, do you want to spend the time to tackle it again if you find out if some of the coil is bad?

People who are on the budget and have extra times tend to tackle one at a time. The other option is to replace all the plugs and coil so you know that it's not the problem. A nother thing to consider is since you are not the original owner, did someone replace those before and were then OEM?

Yes. Coil packs are expensive.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:32 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Yep, my dads BMW e46 Inline 6 is easy to change out plugs. It's literally in your face once you take off the plastic covers. My Lexus you have to remove the intake manifold
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti