Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 07:57 AM

12,788 posts, read 15,017,507 times

Advertisements

Well, it was done on the day I said above & it's running so far, so good...it should since I just got it done. I don't really drive far, freeway distances (2+ hr of driving) too much, maybe for 1 day about every other week, so that's good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
To the OP, when was the last time you had your Tranny flushed? My understanding is that you need to have it flushed every 30K miles. If you don't, you are asking for problems.
I'd have to look through my routine maintenance documents, so I don't know off the top of my head. My car has 70 something thousand miles on it, so it probably was done twice by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 12:29 PM

17,269 posts, read 15,458,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Well, it was done on the day I said above & it's running so far, so good...it should since I just got it done. I don't really drive far, freeway distances (2+ hr of driving) too much, maybe for 1 day about every other week, so that's good.

I'd have to look through my routine maintenance documents, so I don't know off the top of my head. My car has 70 something thousand miles on it, so it probably was done twice by now.
From what I recall, lots of shops will tell you (falsely) that the fluid in the CVT transmission is a "lifetime" fluid. Absolute hogwash. It's one of those things where one often has to ask to get done.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:17 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,008,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
From what I recall, lots of shops will tell you (falsely) that the fluid in the CVT transmission is a "lifetime" fluid. Absolute hogwash. It's one of those things where one often has to ask to get done.
EXACTLY !

Still meet folks who believe that the automatic transmission fluid AND the CVT transmission fluid don't have to be changed ever. Even those with "lifetime" automatic transmission fluid needs to be changed.

They just don't get it. And they know of a Joe or Jane who never had the transmission fluid changed and lived to tell the story. So that is "proof" that no one needs to change the fluid. All hogwash.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:38 AM

712 posts, read 531,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Get the CVT transmission flushed.
FLUSHED. Not just drain/filled.

It's an easy and relatively cheap "fix."

I can pretty much guarantee you this will solve it. No, you do not need to replace the transmission.
The fluid is worn, and gets too hot, thus losing its lubricating properties, causing the final bearing to "slip," resulting in loss of power after extended driving at higher speeds.

That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.
The people on here have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. If the cvt is whining or going into fail safe it means that there's already damage to the internal parts of the transmission. Putting in new fluid might help with that symptom temporarily, but really it's on it's way out.

Op: If you have less than 120k miles I think you're still under warranty. You should have not spent a dime to waste money on a cvt flush. You should have made a warranty claim. Go to the nissan dealer after you've driven for 2 hours uphills in hot weather and it's a mess so they can "reproduce" it. Then they will put it in a remanned transmission that will last way longer than the bandaid approach of a flush. Flushing can also cause more problems since your smashing all kinds of debris around when you do that. If you that with dirty fluid it will cause more problems than it solves.

Oh and it's Nissan itself who says the fluid is lifetime. They engineered the transmission.

There has already been damage to op's transmission. It will fail eventually.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:58 AM

^ BeyondtheHorizon, yes after one particular day of about 1 hr of freeway driving, then I was parked for about 1 - 1.5 hrs, THEN another 3-4 hrs of continuous driving all around the surface streets, a bit of pretty steep uphill driving too PLUS it was a VERY HOT day & I had my A/C running the whole time, that's when the deceleration & delayed gas pedal reaction happened, which is why I made the Nissan appt right away & I was still under warranty to have them fix it & didn't have to pay a dime.

For some reason, Nissan did NOT make this matter an actual recall. They only want to fix it IF & ONLY IF the driver has trouble w/ their particular car about it. I'm just glad this happened while I was still under warranty!

I got my document here of what they did below & they had to order a couple of things in which I had to wait a few days until they came in:

- cooler kit auto transmission installation

- valve body replacement

- NS-2 CVT transmission fluid (doesn't say if flushed, drained, filled, etc. unless NS-2 stands for whatever they did)

After this, I tested it & went on a long, freeway drive in hot weather w/ A/C on a few days later (not as rigorous as the previous drive) & it was fine.

THEN, oddly about 3 wks later, my 5-yr car battery completely conked out on me after exactly 2 yrs in which I got that replaced ASAP. I wonder why a 5-yr battery only lasted 2 yrs when I don't drive that much. Did the above actions have anything to do with the quicker draining of my batter perhaps OR is it just the case of things simply not being as good a quality & not lasting as long as they used to yrs ago??

Old 08-17-2018, 11:04 AM

712 posts, read 531,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
^ BeyondtheHorizon, yes after one particular day of about 1 hr of freeway driving, then I was parked for about 1 - 1.5 hrs, THEN another 3-4 hrs of continuous driving all around the surface streets, a bit of pretty steep uphill driving too PLUS it was a VERY HOT day & I had my A/C running the whole time, that's when the deceleration & delayed gas pedal reaction happened, which is why I made the Nissan appt right away & I was still under warranty to have them fix it & didn't have to pay a dime.

For some reason, Nissan did NOT make this matter an actual recall. They only want to fix it IF & ONLY IF the driver has trouble w/ their particular car about it. I'm just glad this happened while I was still under warranty!

I got my document here of what they did below & they had to order a couple of things in which I had to wait a few days until they came in:

- cooler kit auto transmission installation

- valve body replacement

- NS-2 CVT transmission fluid (doesn't say if flushed, drained, filled, etc. unless NS-2 stands for whatever they did)

After this, I tested it & went on a long, freeway drive in hot weather w/ A/C on a few days later (not as rigorous as the previous drive) & it was fine.

THEN, oddly about 3 wks later, my 5-yr car battery completely conked out on me after exactly 2 yrs in which I got that replaced ASAP. I wonder why a 5-yr battery only lasted 2 yrs when I don't drive that much. Did the above actions have anything to do with the quicker draining of my batter perhaps OR is it just the case of things simply not being as good a quality & not lasting as long as they used to yrs ago??
I don't know about the battery.
I would have liked them to replace the entire tranny(since you're under warranty), but maybe they got certain code with their scanner that it indicated just to replace just the valve body(a much cheaper job obviously).. Hopefully it's a good fix for you and you don't have any more problems.

You also have to wonder why they are just NOW installing an auxiliary transmission cooler. That's an extra transmission cooler that your car never had before. They are thinking these things are overheating. Why wasn't it there to begin with when they manufactured the vehicle if overheating was the issue? Didn't they test these vehicles out before mass production. Just bizarre.

Last edited by BeyondtheHorizon; 08-17-2018 at 11:15 AM..

Old 08-17-2018, 02:57 PM

I've personally had my car for 10 yrs (next month). I don't drive that much or that far, but if I did, I'm sure I would have gotten the car fixed like this sooner.

I will probably never do that kind of driving again that I did for another 3-5 yrs that caused me to go to Nissan to get it fixed. But yes, that doesn't mean my car doesn't deserve to perform correctly.

Tomorrow (Sat.), I'll be doing about 2.5 - 3 hrs total of driving w/ 2-3 hrs of parking in between, so I have no worry that my car will be good.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
The people on here have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. If the cvt is whining or going into fail safe it means that there's already damage to the internal parts of the transmission. Putting in new fluid might help with that symptom temporarily, but really it's on it's way out.

Op: If you have less than 120k miles I think you're still under warranty. You should have not spent a dime to waste money on a cvt flush. You should have made a warranty claim. Go to the nissan dealer after you've driven for 2 hours uphills in hot weather and it's a mess so they can "reproduce" it. Then they will put it in a remanned transmission that will last way longer than the bandaid approach of a flush. Flushing can also cause more problems since your smashing all kinds of debris around when you do that. If you that with dirty fluid it will cause more problems than it solves.

Oh and it's Nissan itself who says the fluid is lifetime. They engineered the transmission.

ACTUALLY, Nissan may deny you your warranty claim, as their service schedules recommend transmission fluid changes every 60k miles under most driving conditions, which is a very vague term. It needs to be changed. Per Nissan. If the manual isn't clear on this, their service spec sheets certainly are. (But hey, what do I know, right?)

SECOND, the whining sound is due to thinned out transmission/CVT fluid that is losing its cooling and lubricant properties under high stress. No, it does not mean that there is damage.

No, the transmission is probably not on its way out, and if you know how a CVT works, you would know that.

You're right, people on here "have no idea what they are talking about."

Last edited by Arcenal813; 08-20-2018 at 03:20 PM..

Old 08-20-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I don't know about the battery.
I would have liked them to replace the entire tranny(since you're under warranty), but maybe they got certain code with their scanner that it indicated just to replace just the valve body(a much cheaper job obviously).. Hopefully it's a good fix for you and you don't have any more problems.

You also have to wonder why they are just NOW installing an auxiliary transmission cooler. That's an extra transmission cooler that your car never had before. They are thinking these things are overheating. Why wasn't it there to begin with when they manufactured the vehicle if overheating was the issue? Didn't they test these vehicles out before mass production. Just bizarre.
1. As I mentioned earlier, judging by the symptoms described, there wasn't any particular damage to the main components of the transmission. The fluid breaks down from excessive heat and failure to replace in a timely manner, the valve body gets dirty/clogged with gunk, and there, you have the problems described above.
They are not going to replace an entire transmission if it doesn't need it. That's like replacing an entire engine if your throttle body goes bad.

2. The older CVTs did not have a separate cooler, but instead ran lines directly through the radiator, which proved to not be as efficient as the newer design with the auxiliary cooler. So they added an auxiliary cooler.

But again, yeah, no idea what I'm talking about.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:

No, the transmission engineers never said this.

http://aamcoftp.com/sites/aamcotech/...cvt-manual.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti