Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 06:59 AM

925 posts, read 4,707,294 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Today while going to work when I tried to turn my car it made loud rubbing noises. Even if the car is stopped at a traffic signal and I try to move the wheels to either left or right the sound was coming.

I did some research on the web and some people said it was making noise because of cold weather. It is not that cold outside. I live in Houston, TX. Anyway, the sound went away in a while.

But, now I am worried what kind of sound was that and why did it come and why did it disappear after a while.

Any ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 07:04 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,328,631 times
Check the power steering fluid.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:15 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
What Mr. Cat said.

If it's a moaning sound, when you're turning the wheel, you're either low on power steering fluid, your pump is getting weak or (most likely) your rack & pinion steering pump is getting weak.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:19 AM

Thanks!

But I don't understand that if it was the power steering fluid then why did the sound go away after driving for 5 minutes OR after the car heats up.

I watched some more videos on the web and checked the power steering fluid and I can see there is little liquid in the attached bottle.

Any ideas!

Old 12-01-2009, 07:33 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
Thanks!

But I don't understand that if it was the power steering fluid then why did the sound go away after driving for 5 minutes OR after the car heats up.

I watched some more videos on the web and checked the power steering fluid and I can see there is little liquid in the attached bottle.

Any ideas!
Well... Here's the good news and the bad news.

Hopefully, you're just low on PS Fluid. Filling the reservoir will solve the problem.

The bad news is that the fluid is going somewhere. You probably have some sort of slow leak.

But here's some more good news... You can buy "power steering leak sealer," and sometimes it actually works! It might not work, but it's not going to harm anything, so it's worth a try. I've used Lucas Oil Power Steering Stop Leak. You can get it at pretty much any auto parts store. Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak : Lucas Oil

I cannot explain the technical details behind it, but the reason your power steering will moan when it's cold is because the fluid is thicker at lower temperatures.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:37 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Bad CV joints.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:38 AM

Thanks for the information!

Not sure how much this all is going to cost me but I think I will go to the meineke today.

Thanks,

Old 12-01-2009, 07:40 AM

@Ovcatto,

I don't think it is bad CV joints. I am not hearing the following sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLOASjhT6nU

Old 12-01-2009, 07:41 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,328,631 times
Just ad PS fluid. Wait until it gets cold again then start it up and see if it makes the sound (which probably won't). Why go to meineke and pay someone to ad PS fluid. They probably will tell you you need a new PS pump.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:09 AM

Hi Mr Cat,

Are you a fortune teller or something?? Because if you are you are 100% right! I took my car to Good Year since Meineke was busy. I told them about the noise and also told them to do a car service.

After 20 minutes they came out and told me that it is the pump that is leaking and I need to replace it. Now, I am not sure if they are lying or not but anyways.

So, I came home after the service and I checked the steering wheel fluid and it seems to be below the min. This is kinda strange because I told them to fill up the steering wheel fluid.

Does anyone knows how much should I fill? There is min and then there is max. Also, my car is Nissan Altima 2000 which steering fluid should I use?

Also, they said it is going to cost $600 to replace the pump and the pipe that goes to the pump!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti