Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 04:19 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,676,902 times

Advertisements

Let's face it--someone who is 50 and someone who is 22, don't have a whole lot in common from the social angle. There is usually something else that fosters these widely spaced relationships. For some it's sex, money, attention, validation, stability. Sometimes hobbies and sports attract a wide variety of people of different ages, but I rarely see them hanging outside of those events.

Edit: I read a few other posts about some widely spaced relationships with older people. There is truth to that. Older people have the advantage of perspective, and that's often a valuable thing to someone who might need a bit of advice. It probably works both ways. I just see people 15 years my junior as being needy. Below that, they're bordering on children, and I never really wanted to raise children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 04:45 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,130 times
I`m basically talking about a 30 year difference. A 50 yr old and a 22 year old. Not people who are 30 hanging out with a 45 year old or even dating,etc. I`m talking about someone who is old enough to be the parent and they hang out and do stuff together. A 50 year old has lived life, a 22 year old barely understands what life is all about.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:01 PM

830 posts, read 2,711,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Let's face it--someone who is 50 and someone who is 22, don't have a whole lot in common from the social angle. There is usually something else that fosters these widely spaced relationships. For some it's sex, money, attention, validation, stability. Sometimes hobbies and sports attract a wide variety of people of different ages, but I rarely see them hanging outside of those events.

Edit: I read a few other posts about some widely spaced relationships with older people. There is truth to that. Older people have the advantage of perspective, and that's often a valuable thing to someone who might need a bit of advice. It probably works both ways. I just see people 15 years my junior as being needy. Below that, they're bordering on children, and I never really wanted to raise children.
No, that's just the thing... what I have in common with someone is MORE important than how old they are. I did have a lot more in common from the social angle with my 50 year old friends when I was 24 than I would have had with other 24 year olds at the time. Other 24 year olds were not doing what I was doing at that time in my life. Hobbies and activities were the defining thing and, yes, and I would hang out with those people outside of those events.

It was never an advice or advantage of perspective thing in my situation.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:05 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,553,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
I`m basically talking about a 30 year difference. A 50 yr old and a 22 year old. Not people who are 30 hanging out with a 45 year old or even dating,etc. I`m talking about someone who is old enough to be the parent and they hang out and do stuff together. A 50 year old has lived life, a 22 year old barely understands what life is all about.
One of my friends actually graduated high school with my mom!

Old 08-17-2010, 07:16 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,557,465 times
I have to agree with several of the posters, including Iamrita; to limit yourself to one age group is to miss out on lots of the riches of diversity. I find I can learn from so many people, regardless of their age. We all have experiences and stories that are worth sharing, or questions someone can answer -- you don't even have to have a lot in common in order to enjoy the company of someone of a different age. I think that is a big problem in America - we generally don't value older people, and think people younger than us are children...we miss out on a lot that way. I have friends of every color and age, and I'm richer for it.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:22 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
I have always been drawn to people older than I am. It might've started because I grew up as an only child and was surrounded by adults most of the time. It translated later to my attraction to older men. That preference is not as pronounced as it used to be, but I just find them more interesting, intriguing, funnier, wittier, wiser, and having more experiences to share.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:26 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,118,057 times
The bulk of my friends/acquaintances are in their mid to late 30s. We have a lot in common with each other so alas, we're growing closer. I can talk to them about anything and they got my back just as I have theirs (within reason). I have very few, if any friends my age because for one thing I'm 28 and folks my age are still relatively childish, they haven't grown up yet so I place myself around elders that will teach me valuable life lessons.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:33 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,774,863 times
A very good friend of mine was 33 years older than me. We were friends for almost 25 years. Never a dull moment.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:37 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,492,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamrita View Post
I am in my mid-fifties and usually find that "hanging out" with people in my age group bores me. Some of the reasons are:
1. They are not open to new ideas.
2. Tend to be judgmental.
3. Not open to listening to new or alternative music or bands---they like "oldies"...
4. Wear clothes, hairstyles, etc. that they never think of updating.
5. Are generally too serious and uptight about life in general.
6. Act older than their chronological age.
7. Have little to no interest in exploring new hobbies or learning new skills.

So I am usually thought of as the "odd one or weirdo" in a group of my peers even though I personally don't suffer from terminal uniqueness. On the other hand, when I am in a group of people 20-30 years younger than me (in a college classroom, or photography workshop, or acting class), I'm energized by their youth and creativity. Quite obviously being the oldest in the group, I'm initially regarded with some caution and occasional giggles, but after a week or two I have acquired many friends usually commenting on how "surprised" they are that someone "my age" could still-- fill-in-the-blank---paint, act, draw, write, dance, dress, etc.

To sum it up, I think age distinctions are boring. The thought of living in an "Over-55" community to me seems like "the kiss of death". As long as they let me I'll be hanging out with younger people forever and enjoying every minute.
I love this post!!! Right now, I'm attended a community college and am one of the older students in my class. For the most part, I am accepted by the younger students. I do get chided for walking downstairs slower than they do. But then in turn, I return the comments as I tend to have more stamina , and also get better grades.

I do go out to lunch with some of the "older" young students: typically 35-45, with some of the 20's thrown in the mix. But we have a common bond, classes.

The people who seem to get older faster, are those who only hang out with their own age group as they age. It's always better to have a mix of friends agewise.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:40 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
What do you think of a person who is 50 hanging out with a 22 year old? What in the world does a 50 yr old have in common with a 22 year old?
I'm 40 and have friends anywhere from 23 to 75+. My 23 yo friend is hillarious and free spirited...they think I'm funny and I'm sort of a father figure to them.

My 75 yo. friend I just use for sex because they have alzheimers and so I save money on roofies.

Seriously though, it's not my problem that you are either trolling or clueless as to how people of various ages can have shared hobbies or interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships