Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 02:44 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times

Advertisements

Its been 10 years since they moved in and have been what i would call acquaintance type neighbors,never said much other than small talk pleasantries when meeting outdoors, their kids have been blasting their stereos the whole 10 years,i talked to them in passing about the noise a few years ago and was told by him that he doesnt hear any noise and by her that kids will be kids,
When i did a 3 day kitchen renovation last summer i went over and told them what was going to happen and apologized in advance for the 3 days of upcoming noise. Nothing reciprocal on their basement reno/
Now because i had the audacity to go over and ask them how long will there project last i get greeted with profanity and abuse,
i now have to live with neighbors who basically hate me and my family.
Very stressful.
If aliens landed in my back yard and wanted to speak to the quintessential representation of a trailer trash family i'd tell them to go next door
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 06:52 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,862,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Seems my neighbors are building a room in their basement and as we share a common wall the hammering , banging and sawing everyday for 3 weeks is getting annoying. So as i thought we've got along over the 10 years we've lived side by side i thought i'd go over and ask them how much longer the project is going to take..Big mistake
Wife comes to the door and is immediately aggressive telling me its going to take as long as its going to take and thats going to be a long time growl,hubby comes to the door also aggressive telling me if i dont like the noise to call the police growl i respond with =
Dude i was just wondering when the project was going to be done?.
None of your effing business was the terse response, meanwhile the wife is in the background yelling curse words in my direction.
So much for friendly neighbors ..
Should i have just said nothing and put up with the constant daily noise from 10am to 7pm everyday?.. I realize doing a project like this is going to be noisy but my family is getting stressed and irritated, i thought knowing when the project would be completed might relieve some of the stress.
This thread was not at all what i expected it would be about, and i suspect mr cat feels equally let down. :-D

Old 10-23-2010, 07:20 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,621,557 times
Do you own or rent? If they're doing major work like this I get the feeling these units are owned. If not, get the landlord involved.

Trying to pacify someone like this, as has been suggested here, usually doesn't work. I've been in a few situations like this, and no matter how nicely you choose to speak your ****e-bird neighbor will respond aggressively.

Your earlier encounter concerning their kids' music was the tip-off.

I see only two choices if you're "stuck" there - creative revenge or moving. Both involve risk and inconvenience; one involves possible retaliation, which you would need to be prepared for.

A third choice - just grin and bear it - might work in the short term, but then you'll have your new-found enemy at your side 24/7 - not a workable option, IMO.

Good luck!

Old 10-23-2010, 08:51 AM

They are rental units. and i'm not into a 24/7 war with the neighbors so i guess my options are move or accept the fact that there is now bad feelings between us, the hammering and banging and power tools racket has increased since the incident occured, not sure whether he;s hurrying up and finishing or its his way of rubbing salt in a situation he now knows irritates me, i suspect the latter.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:24 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I once had these psycho neighbors, the strange this is that they went to church each Sunday. Well, the guy, he starts talking to my BF once, who was out on the patio, and asks him if he knows how many guys I sleep with in a week...HELLO! The funny thing is that my brother had been staying with me on and off, and this nieghbor thought it was his business to tell my BF about this other guy who was staying with me...then, he used to jack up the base on his stereo, so all I heard was "Pound, pound", then, he was so psycho...i complained to the landlord, who told me to MYOB...well, okay, then the psycho deflated all of the air in the tires in my car, all four were flat...Weird...well, I was done with this psych neighbor, and the landlord who did not care, so I jammed out of there...the funny thing, is that this guy had to be evicted for non payment of rent, and stole all the appliances ouf of the apartment, and left the place completely trashed...ha ha to the landlord...Anyway, been there, sympathize with you...frustrating to live next to wierdos...

Old 10-23-2010, 01:01 PM

Yeah know all about bass on stereo's as his kids have my china rattling in the china cabinet for an hour or two every evening..
Guess its the price i pay for renting in an urban environment and not having to deal with suburban rush hour commute every day,ya just cant win..

Old 10-23-2010, 01:15 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Next time you want to make love to your SO, get out the Karaoke Machine microphone, crank the volume and point the speakers at your neighbors wall.

Tell your wife to scream her head off and you're only doing it to get back at the neighbors.

May not do any good but you'll get laid and feel better about the all the banging going on.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:18 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
They were jerks for responding to you as they did. I don't like to bother complaining about things I have no control over but if I had to say something about this, I'd have tried to make them feel like heels for being jerks by replying with, "Ok, I was wondering if you could use a hand".

Old 10-23-2010, 02:27 PM

At this point trying to talk to them again to make things right would be a lesson in futility as i doubt they'd understand the concept of reconciliation.
They are dumb hicks who have no clue..

The woman reminds me a lot of the aggressive woman in the video attached to this news story..

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/the_edge/dying-girl-taunted-by-neighbors-in-trenton (broken link)

Old 10-23-2010, 02:35 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,206 times
Wait? Did I understand right these are rental units both of you are in? Since when could renters get by with remodeling a place? If he was that combative about it I'd wonder if he was building a pot growing greenhouse in the basement. Most people are proud enough about their remodeling efforts where they want to brag about what they are doing. People I know who remodel there place always talk about it. The fact you all were friendly before yet he never mentioned he was going to be working on a project sounds suspicious what his little project may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships