Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 09:39 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,091,944 times

Advertisements

This weekend I'm going to pick up my brother in Kansas, a small town out there, but is not able to find suitable work.
So I asked him if he would like to come and stay with me while he gets on his feet out here.
My brother took up my offer.
I have 4 older brothers, this one right here would be there for you with no questions asked and has helped me out when I needed it.
My other brother is somewhat upset, because he asked if he could previously live with me, and I said no. The reason why I said no was because he dont like to pay bills or work and just likes to mooch off people.
Does anyone have a sibling who has no matter what dont understand the charity plate is broken for them?
I did tell my brother he can have dinner ready for me when I get home from work until he gets a job..lol.

How do you set limits for family members?
I just say no when I know Im being used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 10:34 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times
And this is why I don't miss having siblings.. LOL I don't blame you though and you sound like a smart girl. I would have said no to the mooch brother and yes to the more responsible one too. If your other brother has a problem oh well, he'll get over it.
Good for you for helping out the one and helping him get on his feet.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:16 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,760,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
This weekend I'm going to pick up my brother in Kansas, a small town out there, but is not able to find suitable work.
So I asked him if he would like to come and stay with me while he gets on his feet out here.
My brother took up my offer.
I have 4 older brothers, this one right here would be there for you with no questions asked and has helped me out when I needed it.
My other brother is somewhat upset, because he asked if he could previously live with me, and I said no. The reason why I said no was because he dont like to pay bills or work and just likes to mooch off people.
Does anyone have a sibling who has no matter what dont understand the charity plate is broken for them?
I did tell my brother he can have dinner ready for me when I get home from work until he gets a job..lol.

How do you set limits for family members?
I just say no when I know Im being used.
Yes, I know *exactly* what you mean (I myself have a sibling *and* a dependent parent, who are on the financial gravy train, here)...and saying "No" to them, while I have done so before, isn't a pleasant experience by any means

How do I set limits with them? With a firm "No". "No" means "No" (which they don't always get or understand for some reason, either).

Old 02-09-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Yes, I know *exactly* what you mean (I myself have a sibling *and* a dependent parent, who are on the financial gravy train, here)...and saying "No" to them, while I have done so before, isn't a pleasant experience by any means

How do I set limits with them? With a firm "No". "No" means "No" (which they don't always get or understand for some reason, either).

lol..We've been called money hungry when we ask for the money back that we have loaned out...to the moocher brother

Old 02-09-2011, 09:13 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Siblings are people like anyone else. "Blood" connections (and responsibilities) don't ring in their heads like we would like sometimes. Maybe we watched too many Brady Bunch and Partridge Family episodes as kids, when in reality there are more families in America like Rosanne's and The Simpsons.

I feel somewhat lucky in that my family are almost quite literally, Vulcans. Pretty cool emotionally, and while we do connect and stay in contact on a basic level, I haven't physically seen any of my siblings in years and am ok with it. At the same time, we don't share "drama", either.

By contrast, my best friend's family would cause me to jump off of a bridge. He has one responsible Brother who has a job, family, good work ethic, etc. His younger Brother would steal anything from your house if you allowed him in the door and hasn't held a job longer than 3 days in his 38 years of existance. His Sister regularly has her utilities shut off due to nonpayment and tries to bum money off of him, though she strangely always has the money to party . He would not hesitate to allow Brother # 1 to live with him should hard times warrant a need for it - he would not however, allow Brother # 2 or the Sister to move in with him because they would be moochers and take advantage of the situation in a huge way.

There is not politically correct way to handle situations like that - you simply tell them like it is. The responsible Brother "gets in", the irresponsible one gets a "no", and you tell him why. Will he grow/learn from that answer? Probably not. But don't stress over it - it's his personal demons that raise a red flag to keep you from taking that one in, and the other one's considerate behavior that allows him to get help from you. If he flakes out once he's in, give notice like you would a roommate and "boot".

Old 02-09-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
lol..We've been called money hungry when we ask for the money back that we have loaned out...to the moocher brother
Lol, you're lucky there, my friend You are "loaning money", to them.

Me? I am expected to "give money" to them, essentially the same as a gift...no loans whatsoever

Old 02-09-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Lol, you're lucky there, my friend You are "loaning money", to them.

Me? I am expected to "give money" to them, essentially the same as a gift...no loans whatsoever

Oh we wont lend him money no more..We just laugh when he tries it and tell him get a job

Old 02-09-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Oh we wont lend him money no more..We just laugh when he tries it and tell him get a job
LOL!

Good for you jeepgirl!!

Old 02-09-2011, 03:30 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,310,461 times
Everytime I've lent a certain sibling money, it has ended very badly for me. One time I almost died as a result of me not having enough money for myself and having to get odd jobs for cash - a very long story and not a very direct causation, but still associated with bad memories linked to having lent out money to said sibling rather than keeping it for myself.

Any friend I've ever lent money to is no longer my friend today. From now on my policy is - no doing business or lending money to family or friends.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:58 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
I "loan" money to one of my sisters every now and again but I never expect to get it back. I don't mind at all as it is always an extreme circumstance in which help is needed; I live alone with no dependents so I have the ability to help out. That's what family is for, at least that's the case in my family. That said, if I felt one was a loser who was just begging for cash out of laziness, I'd probably have a different opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships