Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 10:04 PM

911 posts, read 2,599,691 times

Advertisements

am i the only one who hates people that do this very thing and then you have to hound them to get YOUR money back?

currently here now, a co worker decided he wasnt going to pay me back after i had to pay for his lunch because his card was declined.

thoughts? similar issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 10:13 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
am i the only one who hates people that do this very thing and then you have to hound them to get YOUR money back?

currently here now, a co worker decided he wasnt going to pay me back after i had to pay for his lunch because his card was declined.

thoughts? similar issues?
There was a thread nearly identical to this one a few months back in the Relationships forum. I agree with many people there who said that if you loan someone money, do not count on getting it back. Some people are responsible about paying their debts and some are not. If you can't do without the amount the person wants to borrow, don't loan them the money.

I do agree, acealive, that it's crass and annoying when someone borrows money and does not pay it back. The only way to avoid the situation is to never loan money in the first place. As Ann Landers used to say, "No one can take advantage of you without your permission." If you're anything like me, though, sometimes you just can't help unwittingly giving people that "permission"!

Old 06-04-2011, 10:17 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
He needs to pay you back, it's common curtsy. If I lend some money I like to get something back. Or like for lunch the other person to get me the next time. If I borrow I will always payback. But when I lend money for a small amount I don't expect it to be replenish.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:26 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,624 times
If I had the money and that person was hungry, of course I would pay for his meal. If someone continually doesn't have lunch money, I would distance from him in the lunch line. I hate to think that I get angry because people want to borrow all the time, but sometimes I do.
Charity is a virtue, but giving and regretting it is not charity.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:14 PM

911 posts, read 2,599,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
If I had the money and that person was hungry, of course I would pay for his meal. If someone continually doesn't have lunch money, I would distance from him in the lunch line. I hate to think that I get angry because people want to borrow all the time, but sometimes I do.
Charity is a virtue, but giving and regretting it is not charity.

it was one of those rock and a hard place things, we were in the drive thru and im like "ok now what do i do?"

Old 07-03-2011, 09:17 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Live and learn! Some people are just that bad...

Old 07-04-2011, 12:19 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,043 times
Personally I don't mind giving because I think it's the cure for greediness. I do think that we ought to be careful and not give them permission to take advantage of us at the same time. For me, I would be worry if it was a bigger amount like $40 and over.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:09 AM

61,706 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Why hate people that borrow money?? Some are honest, some are opportunists.
Instead to hate them, better just stop lending money - or lend only so much you are able, without any grief, afford to lose.
People can only take advantage of you if you allow them to.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:55 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,673,736 times
I don't loan money, I give it. I never give more than I can afford to give. That way if the person gives it back or reciprocates by paying for something you bought you are pleasantly surprised. If you never get it back you were not expecting it.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:36 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,423,548 times
I learned a long time ago never loan a person money and expect it back.
As far as the lunch thing goes chalk it up to you helped a person out that had no lunch.

I also refuse to lend out books for the very same reason.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships