Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 05:40 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Yeah, I get it. People seem to almost always take things so personally. I guess its the nature of lesser beings to do this. I'll post a comment like "Oh, I never date fat/obese women because I find them to be unattractive", then you'll get a bunch of henrietta hippos chiming in attacking me for saying I wouldnt date someone in a category that they just so happen to be a part of. Like Im saying I would them THEM specifically. Its unfortunate, but hey, thats how people are.

What is the absolute worst for me, is people developing a hatred to another person because of something he/she said in another post, on another date, about another topic, long long time ago. I call it holding an e-grudge. Not everyone is like this though, there are some cool people here who may have hated or disliked me for some of my comments, but they are cool enough to give me reps points to a comment I made on another topic.
The problem with your argument is that you assume that everyone who finds your comments offensive belongs to the group you ridicule--and calling people "henrietta hippos" is indeed ridiculing people, Lao. Not everyone who finds your comments offensive is obese. I'm certainly not. Indeed, I'm stronger than I've ever been in my life, and live as healthy a lifestyle as I can.

You also keep bringing up the same crap over and over and over again, in as rude and obnoxious a way as possible. The whole forum understands that you prefer muscular women. There is a way of expressing that without sounding like a jerk. Indeed, when you carry on about it over and over, it gets people to wondering if you aren't overweight, yourself. When people obsess about other people's bodies, it's usually to compensate for some flaw of their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 06:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Employing social skills well is a fine art...some people come by it naturally, others have to learn it and employ it very intentionally. Whether you are the person who frequently easily offends, or who is frequently easily offended, chances are that your social skills could use some work.

Reacting to something emotionally is not the sign of a person who is incapable of rational thought. Reacting to something rationally is not the sign of a person who has no emotions. Well-adjusted people balance the two and navigate life all the better for it.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Yeah, I get it. People seem to almost always take things so personally. I guess its the nature of lesser beings to do this. I'll post a comment like "Oh, I never date fat/obese women because I find them to be unattractive", then you'll get a bunch of henrietta hippos chiming in attacking me for saying I wouldnt date someone in a category that they just so happen to be a part of. Like Im saying I would them THEM specifically. Its unfortunate, but hey, thats how people are.

Bahahahah! "People always take things so personally...especially those lesser beings and a bunch of henrietta hippos!"

Really? You don't say! People take personal digs personally? WHODATHUNKIT????

Old 02-13-2012, 06:10 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
The problem with your argument is that you assume that everyone who finds your comments offensive belongs to the group you ridicule--and calling people "henrietta hippos" is indeed ridiculing people, Lao. Not everyone who finds your comments offensive is obese. I'm certainly not. Indeed, I'm stronger than I've ever been in my life, and live as healthy a lifestyle as I can.

You also keep bringing up the same crap over and over and over again, in as rude and obnoxious a way as possible. The whole forum understands that you prefer muscular women. There is a way of expressing that without sounding like a jerk. Indeed, when you carry on about it over and over, it gets people to wondering if you aren't overweight, yourself. When people obsess about other people's bodies, it's usually to compensate for some flaw of their own.
Great example ^^ I love how she hands me my a$$, but yet makes it like she's giving me gold and teaching me a lesson at the same time. But, I may something in another thread altogether on a completely different and random comment, and she may give me a rep for that, if its rep worthy. Some folks just wouldnt bother and think "I still hate that guy even though he makes a great point".

Thanks Yzette.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:24 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Quote:
Great example ^^ I love how she hands me my a$$, but yet makes it like she's giving me gold and teaching me a lesson at the same time. But, I may something in another thread altogether on a completely different and random comment, and she may give me a rep for that, if its rep worthy. Some folks just wouldnt bother and think "I still hate that guy even though he makes a great point".

Thanks Yzette.
That, indeed is a great example
Wow, way to take things personally

Btw, Lao...keep up your posts- I think the way you come across is direct, positive, informative & really cool

Old 02-13-2012, 06:49 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
Quote:
Are you sick of people always taking things personally?
You started this thread because of me, right? C'mon, admit it.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:51 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:

Thanks Yzette.
No, no. Lao. You're supposed to come at me now!

Seriously, though. A good point is a good point, and every day is a new one. There are folks with whom I initially clashed who are now my favorite people on here.

My rule is to give everyone the benefit of the doubt until they prove they aren't worthy of it, and even then, there's always room for peace, especially with the Relationships crowd.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:10 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
There are two answers to this problem:

1) There are indeed people who go about life looking for ways to be offended, no matter how trivial the remark or action might be. Get these people out of your life, for your days will otherwise be the equivalent of walking on eggshells, watching every word that comes out of your mouth.

2) There are also people who have no intervening gear between their brains and their mouths, spewing out thoughts without consideration, no matter how stupid and offensive it might be. If you find yourself in that category, try pausing an extra second and asking yourself, "Is saying this REALLY a good idea?"
Good summation. Believe it or not sometimes in the same person.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
No, people have a problem with me not taking things personally enough..
Which shows how many people do take things very personally.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Employing social skills well is a fine art...some people come by it naturally, others have to learn it and employ it very intentionally. Whether you are the person who frequently easily offends, or who is frequently easily offended, chances are that your social skills could use some work.

Reacting to something emotionally is not the sign of a person who is incapable of rational thought. Reacting to something rationally is not the sign of a person who has no emotions. Well-adjusted people balance the two and navigate life all the better for it.
Yeah I find people taking things too emotionally more of a problem. I think that's the reason why a lot of fights start. Personally I try not to offend but the few times I do, it's usually because someone takes something really personally. I almost never intentionally insult people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships