Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 01:04 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

Having too much time on my hands I was browsing some profiles on facebook, look at their pics. It seems that many young women love to obsessively post photos of themselves, in a sexy or 'glamorous' pose, and that you always see them showered with compliments by women as well as men fawning over how 'gorgeous', 'beautiful', 'sexy', hot'.etc they are. Of course straight women do that with each other, at least the ones do now a days, but it got me thinking about that in general. It happens in real life too. We're a generation of attention whores, so much so that women in particular invest all their self-esteem in the superficial. To say a woman ISN'T 'absolutely stunning' is like calling her a horrible person. And it feels so shallow and hollow.

I think sexuality is become like this too. A worship of youth...okay I didn't want to discuss this, but women are also beginning to view other women more as sex objects. I don't hear women compliment other men sexually as much, surprisingly. Not questioning their sexuality, but it seems girls these days just love to tell each other how much they love each other. Not only the compliments but the 'hun, darling, xxx' after reading a few pages of comments I'd had enough. Also some young girls seem to obsessively show affection with one another. Not saying there's anything wrong with it, but it just seems a little strange...but yeah, for the compliments, I find myself not really being interested in socializing with most people when I read the vapid comments like that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 01:59 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
I've always found that odd as well, but I think it's just a way to show your girlfriends that you love them. A woman's appearance, sadly, is far more important than her accomplishments, so many of them rely on these comments to hike up their self esteem.

I have 4 photos on my facebook. Two don't even have me in them (my dogs and the last plane I flew) and one is a close up of me flying with the sky reflected in my glasses. It's an awesome picture

I forbid tagging as well, if I'm in a friends photo. I know people who post a TON of pictures of themselves (one girl has over 800 pictures!) and I can't help but think if they had high self esteem they wouldn't feel the need to constantly be complimented by others.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:03 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I've always found that odd as well, but I think it's just a way to show your girlfriends that you love them. A woman's appearance, sadly, is far more important than her accomplishments, so many of them rely on these comments to hike up their self esteem.

I have 4 photos on my facebook. Two don't even have me in them (my dogs and the last plane I flew) and one is a close up of me flying with the sky reflected in my glasses. It's an awesome picture

I forbid tagging as well, if I'm in a friends photo. I know people who post a TON of pictures of themselves (one girl has over 800 pictures!) and I can't help but think if they had high self esteem they wouldn't feel the need to constantly be complimented by others.
There's this certain young lady I have on my facebook who is an old classmate - actually my sister's old friend, and she looks very different to how I remember her. She's totally into dolling herself up, and her pouty photos with the hips and the posturing, it's borderline ridiculous. Personally I don't think she's attractive even with all that makeup so I didn't comment but there are like 20 comments of how gorgeous and sexy she is.

Then another girl, a couple of girls were saying faux lesbian things, one said 'I want you' and another was like 'I'm not a guy (obviously)' but ____. Are these compliments bordering on flirting from bi women or are they just playing around? I don't know.

Maybe I should delete some of these people so I don't have to 'follow' them when I don't want to, but it would be kinda petty and there are so many of them. Yeah I know those who have sooo many pics of them, it's plain annoying...I have tons of pics of my travels, a lot of them without me, whereas I notice some people only tend to have pics of themselves or close friends.

It's good to express positive feelings for one another but I just feel all this constant praising for looks...it's like eating too much chocolate or something, I'm sure it loses it's appeal. Maybe these girls are hungry for compliments about how sexy they are. Anyway what if someone says something that's not so nice? I've seen some girls can downright nasty when some uncomplimentary comments were posted.

But yes, appearance definitely seems to define a lot of women. It's probably also women like this as well as men that make things annoying for women like you, Jet. Who cares, though, people like us don't need to buy into the shallowness of it all. I'm not saying it's bad to care about looks or want to be pretty, but should it be such a huge priority? Maybe I'm in a grumpy mood today, but other people...bleh...sometimes I don't relate, I really do not.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:29 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
My wife has a group of friends who do this, and it really does cross over into ridiculousness. Even my wife is a bit turned off.

They're all 40+. Every other word is "fabulous...marvelous...diva" oy my f'in god I want to vomit. And they all seem to need to go out in vaguely old-fashioned dress, touted up, not slutty at all, just...I dunno...phony and an affectation. After they're done complimenting and celebrating each other I am shocked they have time to talk about anything else. Oh and so much of it seems to be in a falsetto voice.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:40 PM

885 posts, read 1,881,465 times
You should see what my girl cousins do. 12/13 years old, post pictures and they get 80+ comments from girls about how sexy they are.. it's sickening.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:48 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,398,602 times
how do men compliment each other? "Lookin good there"?

Old 07-14-2012, 08:26 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times
Mehhh...why complain?

At least these women aren't displaying the more typical destructive behaviors females of all ages tend to display--like being catty and jealous of women whom they deem to be a notch or more above themselves, etc.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:40 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
I just grab their boob and say good game.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:52 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,937,731 times
Yea women always shower each other with compliments, god knows why. My theory is that they want to later get complimented so they give what they get. They don't do it as much to men because that's interpreted as sexual interest sometimes. Guys don't do that because they'll be made fun of for acting homosexual. A guy might say he likes a guy's jacket but he won't be like "wow those jeans make your butt look tight" unless he wishes to get into that guy's jeans.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:36 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
All women aren't like this. The people being complained about are obviously shallow and don't have enough to do, but that isn't all women. When people are actively involved in constructive behavior that is outside themselves (a job, making a home, raising children, taking classes, a sport or hobby, being involved in public affairs), they worry less about superficial appearances.

I have a question for you men who are with this type of woman: was she like this when you met her? If so, why was it OK then, but it's not OK now. Or if she wasn't like that before, what has changed? Perhaps your lack of communication is making her feel insecure so she needs to be validated by other people.

If you are close to someone like this, sit them down and talk to them about it. Ask them why they need so much praise about something lacking in importance. Maybe your woman thinks YOU want her to be obsessed with her appearance. Yes, we should all try to look healthy, clean, and attractively dressed. It's human nature to want to present a good public image. But if that's all a person's life is about, it's a waste and they should try to change.

By the same token, the general public should try to be a little less interested in the appearance of other people. If a woman on TV wears an unattractive dress, hundreds of people will make a federal case about it. An actress's hairstyle can become a national conversation. If a famous man puts on a few pounds it's a major crime. Children's and teen's Facebook obsessions are just a reflection of what they see in the general culture. We should all try to have ourselves and our loved ones concentrating on activities that matter in this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships