Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you care about looking "manly"?
Yes 6 12.50%
No 33 68.75%
Depends/sometimes 9 18.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 04:17 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times

Advertisements

This crossed my mind after seeing fleetiebelle's post in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
On a related note, I just saw this blurb: People Think of Vegetarians as Less Manly | LiveScience
From my experiences with male friends and coworkers, it seemed many of them were extremely concerned with appearing "manly". They would even go so far as to mock other men who did things which they didn't consider manly enough (like vegetarianism). Some of this mockery was just good-natured ribbing, like when I started biking to work instead of driving, or the fact that I ate very little meat and absolutely no steak (I can't stand it), or the fact that I couldn't care less about sports. They'd crack jokes but they didn't seem to mean any harm by it; we were always joking like that with each other. But many times I witnessed them truly mocking other men, out of earshot, who weren't up to their "standards". I once heard two of them discussing the best ways to sit in a chair in order to prevent appearing "gay". Sometimes they almost seemed obsessed with coming across as manly in the eyes of other men.

Well personally, I couldn't understand this. I mean sure, when I was maybe seven or eight years old all the boys wanted to look tough (me included), but we were just kids. I stopped thinking that way a long time ago, and I would have assumed others did, too. My coworkers seemed to have this incredible fear that someone might think they were not manly, or even worse (to them) homosexual. Is this normal? Am I the weird one? (I mean, I know I'm weird, but am I weird in this way, too? )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 04:28 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,096 times
No. The "manly" man is either intolerant, or too stupid to be taken seriously by anyone. This goes for the women that think men should be manly as well.

I'm over trying to impress people, it's only made me look like an idiot. I'm a well rounded person, and that may cause people to think I'm less manly, but I would rather be smart, aware, and clean cut than an apish brute.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:31 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Default I don't care.

I am not a vegetarian, But I am not an avid watcher of football and baseball (I like boxing) and sometimes I get remarks on that of surprise. As long as the women see me as "manly" (can protect and provide for them) why would I care?

I would think "manliness" denotes more then this above though. A man should be willing to go the distance* (No pun here) in life and be a source of support for his friends and family in hard times. Also being a gentleman I think goes a long way, With good manners shown. I learned this from my grandmother, God rest her soul. I think we can learn a lot from our older adult population in my opinion.

*Ok, it was a pun. Going the distance is GOOD!

Old 05-17-2012, 04:47 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
This crossed my mind after seeing fleetiebelle's post in another thread:

From my experiences with male friends and coworkers, it seemed many of them were extremely concerned with appearing "manly". They would even go so far as to mock other men who did things which they didn't consider manly enough (like vegetarianism). Some of this mockery was just good-natured ribbing, like when I started biking to work instead of driving, or the fact that I ate very little meat and absolutely no steak (I can't stand it), or the fact that I couldn't care less about sports. They'd crack jokes but they didn't seem to mean any harm by it; we were always joking like that with each other. But many times I witnessed them truly mocking other men, out of earshot, who weren't up to their "standards". I once heard two of them discussing the best ways to sit in a chair in order to prevent appearing "gay". Sometimes they almost seemed obsessed with coming across as manly in the eyes of other men.

Well personally, I couldn't understand this. I mean sure, when I was maybe seven or eight years old all the boys wanted to look tough (me included), but we were just kids. I stopped thinking that way a long time ago, and I would have assumed others did, too. My coworkers seemed to have this incredible fear that someone might think they were not manly, or even worse (to them) homosexual. Is this normal? Am I the weird one? (I mean, I know I'm weird, but am I weird in this way, too? )
I don't really care if others think I'm manly. My definition of MANLY is being secure with yourself as a human being and knowing what you will allow and knowing what you don't want in your life and taking the action to make it happen. A man does not care if others think he is manly, only think he cares about is if he is progressing every day into becoming a good man.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:02 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,641 times
I don't give a tinker's damn whether they find me manly or not. Those who can be friends or help, I want them to be friends or help.

Those who can't or won't, I just want them to move the hell out of my way as peacefully as possible.

Thus ends my bid for "manliness".

Old 05-17-2012, 05:04 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,532 times
pretty sure i don't care. don't recall it ever being a topic of conversation with my friends or coworkers, and don't remember ever thinking about it.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:20 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
I dont care what any other man thinks of me. I am supremely confident with myself and my abilities mentally, spiritually, and physically. With supreme confidence one can care less about what others think of him. Those who do care are ego maniacs, self conscious, unsure of themselves and cowards.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:01 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Here's the deal. American men are really obsessed with this kind of stuff. For one thing, even in this day and age, the workplace, depending on the culture, dislikes single unmarried men. Guys with 2 messy divorces under their belt and kids from both marriages are viewed in a better light, it seems. Married guys think that single men are irresponsible and "less than them." There are studies which show they are less likely to be promoted and make 89 to 95 cents on the dollar as their married counterpart, for the same job. Just like I once recounted the story of a (married) man who kept getting passed up for a promotion in the police department because he didn't have the "right look," he got his promotion once he got a chin implant. The same thing can happen when a guy gets married - surprise, you have a promotion.

The part about how to sit and cross your legs is funny. That is correct. The "real" man crosses his legs the way a beer drinker in a tavern would. I'm being funny. The reality is that, in an executive portrait, men are supposed to, and often do, cross their legs at the knees. I remember that I began seeing that in grad school and a girl who had done her BA at Auburn (in Alabama) noted that it just didn't "seem right" to her. I think that, by now, she has gotten used to it.

Probably around 1961:
http://cache2.artprintimages.com/p/L...use-office.jpg

50 years later:
http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/O...cUs3M3uCSl.jpg

Old 05-17-2012, 06:03 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
I really could care less.

I always wondered to myself: how is watching a bunch of muscular guys play sports inherently manly? I'd much rather go ride 50 miles and then spend 3 hours at the gym.

How is eating meat that some other guy killed, skinned, gutted, boned, sectioned, shipped, and sold any more manly than eating vegetables?

Coming from the standpoint of someone who embodies a lot of traditionally "manly" traits, like being a car nut who does his own engine work and cares way more about 0-60 times than MPG, owns guns, will verbally shut down someone who needs to be shut down, works out a ton, plays guitar, likes building stuff, etc., but who also is a strict vegetarian, left-leaning liberal who dresses nice and drinks microbrews, most of the guys who really get absorbed into the whole "manliness litmus test" thing are:

- insecure
- trying to compensate for personal failings, sexual or otherwise
- ashamed of themselves
- seek to disparage others' "manliness" as a cover to their lack thereof
- etc.

Last edited by 415_s2k; 05-17-2012 at 07:11 PM..

Old 05-17-2012, 06:29 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
How wonderfully refreshing to see so many guys who don't see the need to be tough in front of their friends.

There are some great guys here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships