Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 06:46 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,875 times

Advertisements

I know how lame is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 08:06 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
I actually defriended an old girlfriend.

Back last February, she looked me up just to see how I was doing.

But after some innocent conversations, she started in with the "Why did we ever break up?" routine.

I stopped that cold turkey. Defreinding is the easiest thing in the world to do.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:38 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebx28 View Post
Facebook- named in a third of divorce filings in 2011.

most people go on there to cheat or to start trouble - number one reason for fights.

‘Facebook and Your Marriage’ warn about how the site can toss a monkey wrench in an otherwise happy marriage.

“People feel bolder behind a screen than in person,” the couple “People type and press ‘Send’ faster than common sense can kick in, and people feed off the rush they’re feeling rather than rationally thinking about what they’re doing.’

so how you feeling?
Oh, I bet this is true. I cannot believe people and the things they write on their Facebook page. Some of them do everything but describe their last bowel movement, they put waaaaay too much out there.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:31 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
It replaces that old excuse "the devil made me do it". Just another silly excuse because no one makes you use FB to contact old or new lovers if you're married or they are.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:55 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Quote:
Facebook- named in a third of divorce filings in 2011.

most people go on there to cheat or to start trouble - number one reason for fights.

If this is true for the people you know, then you need to choose your friends better. I don't see this at all.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:48 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,375 times
Facebook may be mentioned but isn't the problem. If it weren't Facebook, it would be MySpace or MSN or AOL or whatever was used before all that stuff came along. Facebook just makes the communication easier.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:59 AM

676 posts, read 1,261,634 times
I agree, if someone's going to cheat, they'll cheat. I only have 2 old flames on my friends list and both were friended when we were both single. An attached former classmate tried to initiate something but as soon as I figured out what was going on, I stopped responding to him.

I think the passive-aggressive comments about partners cause more of a threat. Instead of confiding relationship problems to a few trusted friends/relatives, people post vague or outright insulting comments about their partners. I wouldn't do that to a boyfriend or husband and I wouldn't be in a relationship with someone who does it to me.

It also has an upside. Post-Sandy, I've used it to let family/friends know I'm ok and check in on them. Former classmates have offered each other a place to stay, warm up/shower/do laundry. People are also using it to coordinate relief efforts.

It's also been helpful to keep in touch with long distance family/friends. Yes you can use email and phone, but if i take a photo of something funny or make a random observation, i'm not going to call/email people about it. I find posting those things on Facebook generates chats here and there. Same for other people's statuses/photos.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:49 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,455,336 times
My great aunt and great uncle got divorced over Facebook when my aunt caught him cheating.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:22 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,026 times
Quote:

You made this up.

And have you bothered to check into (1) in what context FB was 'cited' in these divorces? And more importantly, (2) Whether the actual number of divorces has risen?

Facebook (and the rest of the internet) does make it easier for cheaters to cheat. It is a question of access. I have seen zero proof that this is anything more than a person who might have trolled around a bar or gotten it on with someone else's spouse in the PTA 10 years ago switching forums.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:09 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
You made this up.

And have you bothered to check into (1) in what context FB was 'cited' in these divorces? And more importantly, (2) Whether the actual number of divorces has risen?

Facebook (and the rest of the internet) does make it easier for cheaters to cheat. It is a question of access. I have seen zero proof that this is anything more than a person who might have trolled around a bar or gotten it on with someone else's spouse in the PTA 10 years ago switching forums.
Easier is the key word here. If someone is on fb, And they are married and an ex contacts them hoping to "reconnect" all they have to do is say "nice to hear from you, Bye" and that's it if they do not want to do this. It is just a tool. Intention and desire ultimately are the main thing.

Pinhead from the Hellraiser series said it best:

"It is not the hands that call us, It is desire!"

Pinhead is very wise, Wears awesome outfits, And punishes evildoers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships