Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 03:30 PM

433 posts, read 1,370,647 times

Advertisements

So some of you know here that I am trying to work on myself over the summer month off. I want to be a better character when I return to school by being more friendly, outgoing, active and by smiling and laughing more.

I normally like to watch horror/action/sci-fi movies. What if during the entire summer I watch nothing but comedy instead? Funny movies and TV shows online like South Park, Family Guy, Big Bang Theory and other hilarious movies. Do you think they would help me when I'm out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 04:04 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,940,677 times
If you're looking for more shows to talk about yea but if you want to be funnier, you should watch more comedy like standup or read joke books so you can make quick witticisms.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:42 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,785,580 times
I've heard whole conversations comprised entirely of references to various shows and movies so, yeah, being up on your pop culture can be a social booster. The only trick is knowing when to deliver a reference.

If you make an off the wall reference like "Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica" then the people around you will either laugh at your timely reference to The Office, or they won't get it, you'll have to awkwardly explain it, and they'll think you're a weirdo. As well, if you borrow a joke from a show, people will either laugh at your incredible wit or call you out for trying to pass off someone else's joke as your own.

Comedy is truly a game of Russian roulette.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:43 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
It might help to lighten the mood.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:22 PM

314 posts, read 626,239 times
Southpark and Family Guy tend to have extremely anti-social, violent, and boorish humor though. Do you really want to come across as boorish and philistine?

You can be more friendly, outgoing, active, and funny by just doing it. Also, the atmosphere and culture will determine whether you are accepted or not. You can be funny and outgoing but racial, gender, and or political differences might rain on your parade.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:28 PM

506 posts, read 1,161,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
So some of you know here that I am trying to work on myself over the summer month off. I want to be a better character when I return to school by being more friendly, outgoing, active and by smiling and laughing more.

I normally like to watch horror/action/sci-fi movies. What if during the entire summer I watch nothing but comedy instead? Funny movies and TV shows online like South Park, Family Guy, Big Bang Theory and other hilarious movies. Do you think they would help me when I'm out there?
Watch Dawson's Creek. It's about young people, socializing, etc.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:52 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,750,634 times
Well, it depends. Results may vary.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:51 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,024,007 times
Depends on how you want to apply the comedy.

If you just want to be knowledgeable on popular culture to increase the topics you can talk about, it is a good idea. If you think you can emulate the humor in the shows to be funnier, or try and take life lessons from them, then don't waste your time.

I think there are better ways to be more friendly, outgoing, active, and happier. You will want to work on your social skills, but not from TV or movies. Do some reading on how to be more approachable, and inviting. It's not just about what you say, but also about how you carry yourself.

Being active is the opposite of a tv watching couch potato. Maybe join an activity others participate in, to help introduce you to more people to develop your social interaction skills.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:41 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,599,411 times
You should consider taking an improv class, if they offer them in your area.

If you are capable of having fun in the presence of others, and not taking things too seriously, then you are capable of being entertaining and humorous. All of those things go hand-in-hand. I think that very few people truly have no sense of humor...most people who struggle to make others smile and laugh struggle because they're uptight, uncomfortable and/or try too hard. Just put yourself out there with a relaxed positive attitude and try to enjoy others and the world around you.

TV sitcoms and comedy movies are good for learning the occasional reference, but they are not necessarily good for improving your sense of humor. This issue needs to be approached with an active can-do mindset, not a passive one. Besides, 95% of sitcoms suck anyway (IMO )

Some of the most entertaining and interesting people that I know watch relatively little comedy.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:43 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
damaged and wounded people are not funny people they are tragic people trying to be funny. dont seek funny seek inner peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships