Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 12:20 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,181,247 times

Advertisements

I notice on the Internet that most people seem very reactionary/easily offended, like they have very thin skin. Like for example, if someone lists the reason they dislike country music, people will get angry or they will say 'you obviously haven't heard any country music'. Stuff like that.

Is that kind of self-righteousness and lack of patience typical among people, and do people think it makes them seem cool or enlightened to be so reactionary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 12:33 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,478 times
I think it is much cooler to be unaffected by petty crud.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:34 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikake View Post
I think it is much cooler to be unaffected by petty crud.
Touche'

Old 08-07-2012, 12:39 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
I notice on the Internet that most people seem very reactionary/easily offended, like they have very thin skin. Like for example, if someone lists the reason they dislike country music, people will get angry or they will say 'you obviously haven't heard any country music'. Stuff like that.

Is that kind of self-righteousness and lack of patience typical among people, and do people think it makes them seem cool or enlightened to be so reactionary?

It has more to do with the relative anonymity that the internet offers. Most people wouldn't act like that in person, but over the internet it's easier to fly off the handle or attack people with different opinions.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:48 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,181,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
It has more to do with the relative anonymity that the internet offers. Most people wouldn't act like that in person, but over the internet it's easier to fly off the handle or attack people with different opinions.
I also notice you can say something totally non-offensive and people will turn it into an insult, or try to make you feel like a fool.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:58 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
some posters SOLE purpose is to create a conflict and then wage a war of words.. it like a freaking video game to them.. don't take offense, just don't play their game!

Old 08-08-2012, 05:35 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post

1. Who cares how people 'act' on the internet.

2. THe internet is full of people who have a myriad of issues. Their life probably sucks, and they have created some other persona online.

3. Who cares. It's the internet.

4. I would also think anyone who is bothered by others on the internet also has thin skin.

5. There be some crazy mofos on the internet!

Old 08-09-2012, 03:07 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
some posters sole purpose is to create a conflict and then wage a war of words.. It like a freaking video game to them.. Don't take offense, just don't play their game!
+ 1

Old 08-09-2012, 05:22 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
Quote:
There be some crazy mofos on the internet!
Hah!...excellent!

Old 08-09-2012, 05:23 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
Quote:
I notice on the Internet that most people seem very reactionary/easily offended, like they have very thin skin. ....Is that kind of self-righteousness and lack of patience typical among people, and do people think it makes them seem cool or enlightened to be so reactionary?
We are talking about the internet....now if this was the case in real-life i'd be really concerned.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships