Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 10:49 PM

48 posts, read 57,188 times

Advertisements

A long time friend was a mistress for 9 months to a married man with 4 young kids. I told her not to go out with him and she knew I was against it. He just dumped my friend and now she's texting me about how sad she is, I want to be there as her friend but I really want to say "I told you so!" I don't feel sorry for her, does that make me a bad friend? I'm glad they're not together anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 10:52 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,727 times
It's not wrong of you. Even if you love someone, it doesn't mean you need to feel horrid when they reap what they have blatantly sown. My own brother was with a girl for 5-6 years, was his fiance. She discovered he'd been cheating on her, and attacked him. She didn't cause any serious harm, but he had to fight her off enough to get out of her apartment and call home for my mother to come get him. Neither of is felt too sorry for him. Glad he's ok, but the situation he created.

I mean, did your friend expect this guy to love and possibly leave his wife for her? if so, she was naive, to the point of stupidity.

You just need to reply "What do you want me to say?" or "I hope you learned your lesson" Does no good when you try to tell someone something, they ignore or snub you, now they wanna whine to you when things go sour.

You don't have to reply at all.

A girl I know is a mistress of 2 years to a guy with a girlfriend. She knew he was a cheater when she met him and he wanted to hook up. Now 2 years later she's sad and pissed because he still wants sex and nothing else from her, and he isn't respectful about it. But I don't have sympathy for her when she knew what kind of guy he was from the start but chose to ignore it, thinking she'd be special to him and be able to get him to leave his girlfriend.

Usually, men don't leave their SO for a mistress, and the times it does happen is more an exception that the rule. Usually the mistress is a side dish. Different face and different sex from the wife or girlfriend. And after a while, they get bored and dump the mistress, provided they don't get caught or possible get her pregnant. So women who knowingly sign on for that are asking for trouble.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:53 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
No real need to respond if you don't want to but no need to tell her "I told you so" either.
Let her text out her sorrow, give the obligatory "that's too bad, I hope you feel better soon" and leave it at that.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:58 PM

He had her convinced he served his wife divorce papers which she never saw, she was in denial. She always talked about what a fool his wife was and I actually felt sorry for the wife and the young kids, and started to question what kind of friend I have in this person. She chased after him and started telling him "Your wife doesn't deserve you, I can make you happy" THen he dumped her by voicemail.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah_23 View Post
He had her convinced he served his wife divorce papers which she never saw, she was in denial. She always talked about what a fool his wife was and I actually felt sorry for the wife and the young kids, and started to question what kind of friend I have in this person. She chased after him and started telling him "Your wife doesn't deserve you, I can make you happy" THen he dumped her by voicemail.
Ok, apparently your friend was thinking he was on his way out. So that is a tad better. But still naive. because about to divorce, and separated isn't single. So when guys or women pull that line, you still need to avoid them until a divorce is final and proof is shown.

So, your friend seemed more naive / sheltered maybe.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:02 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,421,109 times
You're friend sounds like a home wrecking piece of crap. She deserves what she's feeling.

He's no better, mind you.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:08 PM

and i'm the homewrecker's friend so what does that make me? If she can do that, what else is she capable of? I don't know if I want to stay friends or not.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:16 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,421,109 times
It doesn't make you anything. You've been against the idea from day one.

So don't be her friend.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
and i'm the homewrecker's friend so what does that make me? If she can do that, what else is she capable of? I don't know if I want to stay friends or not.
Well, depends on how close you feel the friendship is. Some people can be completely low-down but still loyal to one another. Like criminals, in some case who can mean each other no harm, but doesn't mean they won't harm others lol Sociopaths, I think. They can screw over others they aren't close to, but mean no harm toward someone who manages to become a friend, and/or family.

But you have to decide for yourself. I can understand you feeling worried. You may think, "what if she goes after my boyfriend or husband next." So if you really can't trust her, and will always be watching, waiting for, or have in your mind that she's gonna mess you over, probably is best to end the friendship. But only you can decide.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:01 AM

269 posts, read 370,960 times
Quote:
So don't stay friends with her if you disapprove of her so much.

However you might want to think about things from her point of view. She made a bad decision, and who knows why she pursued this man. Maybe she didn't know he was married when she met him. Maybe he lied to her about his status. It certainly sounds like he led her to believe he was serious about her.

I have been in a similar situation a long time ago now (although the guy wasn't married) and all of my friends were supportive and there for me when I needed them. Not one of them told me anything harsh like you've written here and I am positive they didn't think those things either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships