Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 02:36 PM

74 posts, read 135,141 times

Advertisements

Recently I have been really taken aback by some really cold and unfriendly people in service roles. I am not expecting anyone to be super outgoing or chatty, but some basic manners, answering me when I speak to them and some basic courtesy would be nice.

If you are treated especially coldly by someone in a service role, you you ever call them to task? Or do you ask to speak to their supervisor, or do you call the store or service provider after you get home or write a letter. Or just write it off to experience?

Here is some examples that I am still mad at myself for not following through:

A visit to a hair salon for a haircut. I attempted to make some small talk while the woman was working on my hair and got nothing but silence, no response at all. I tried three times and nothing, not even a reply to a direct question. But she did speak to me about what I wanted in my haircut and gave me the price to pay and she spoke good english but no pleasantrees or smiles or replies to my comments at all. She seemed incredibly angry in her body language.

A visit to a retail store connected with Cox Communication to talk about my cable tv and phone service. I asked for a type of service for my phone and the man said it did not exist even though I told him the website said it did. Then he refused to speak to me and walked away.

A waiter at a nice chain restaurant who would not smile and looked like she was going to kill me by her body language.

I thought I was being nice in all cases, but left angry, what should I have done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 02:43 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Default No.

I am in a position where customer service needs to be 110% at all times, And there are times it is not easy and requires a large amount of patience. Not everybody can maintain this for a long time or a long shift, And if I go somewhere and they are less then friendly but I get the basic service i do not sweat it. I am quick to to tip very well however in server positions when they are attentive and friendly because i know how the service industry can be and they work hard.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:03 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,787 times
The cable service guy would be the one I'd say/do something about. If he just walked away without listening to what you were trying to say, I'd ask to speak to a manager. First to confirm if the service existed and then to mention the way you were treated.

As for the salon & restaurant, it sounded like you got basic service. You were happy with your haircut at the salon. I go to a friend's place, so it's very social, but at other places I haven't really expected the person to be social. I might tip extra if someone's friendly and makes me feel comfortable, but I don't expect it as part of the service.

Pretty much the same with the restaurant. It could be these people were having a bad day for whatever reason (argument with a SO, obnoxious customer before you). I would tend to let it go. While they shouldn't have shown it in body language, we're all human so I'd tend to cut them some slack. But if it happened the next time I went and it made me feel uncomfortable, I'd stop going there and take my business somewhere else.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:44 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,735,558 times
From your post & your screen name, you sound like someone who feel the need to chit chat with anyone around you. Perhaps you should just accept the fact that not everyone feels the urge to make small talk when they don't feel like it and respect their wish and move on.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:30 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,231 times
You seem very self centered if you demand everyone around you constantly act happy. They're people too who have their own problems. Some people are unfriendly because they've been burned so much in life they don't want to be around people. I'm generally unfriendly because I'm sick of people and want to be by myself in peace. You should just leave people alone and live your own life.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:39 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chit chatter View Post
Recently I have been really taken aback by some really cold and unfriendly people in service roles. I am not expecting anyone to be super outgoing or chatty, but some basic manners, answering me when I speak to them and some basic courtesy would be nice.

If you are treated especially coldly by someone in a service role, you you ever call them to task? Or do you ask to speak to their supervisor, or do you call the store or service provider after you get home or write a letter. Or just write it off to experience?

Here is some examples that I am still mad at myself for not following through:

A visit to a hair salon for a haircut. I attempted to make some small talk while the woman was working on my hair and got nothing but silence, no response at all. I tried three times and nothing, not even a reply to a direct question. But she did speak to me about what I wanted in my haircut and gave me the price to pay and she spoke good english but no pleasantrees or smiles or replies to my comments at all. She seemed incredibly angry in her body language.

A visit to a retail store connected with Cox Communication to talk about my cable tv and phone service. I asked for a type of service for my phone and the man said it did not exist even though I told him the website said it did. Then he refused to speak to me and walked away.

A waiter at a nice chain restaurant who would not smile and looked like she was going to kill me by her body language.

I thought I was being nice in all cases, but left angry, what should I have done?
I usually just toss out a sarcastic "thanks so much for your help" or "have a great day"!
I live in a city where "customer service" is nowhere near up to par. I think I have lowered my expectations because of it. But there are still instances where a bad attitude is simply unacceptable.
Generally though, I just figure eventually their paychecks will suffer for it in one way or another. The lost business will eventually have an effect on them.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:39 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
customer service is low paid, hardly appreciated, tough work. I did it for years. and the days where you are tired, feel ill, people still demand to unload their stuff on you. So even the customers who are just trying to be nice, rub you the wrong way. It's something you can't understand unless you've been doing that type work for a while. Everyone thinks it's easy to smile and be happy all the time..it either is impossible or comes across as fake. And then they say " it's what you get paid for or it's part of your job"...seriously, it's one of the toughest jobs out there. Read the book by Barbara Ehrenreich "nickle and dimed". It gives a good idea on what it's like...It's really not natural to be smiley all the time and sometimes that small talk makes you want to grab the person by the neck!

Old 09-12-2012, 12:45 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,103,217 times
I don't expect customer service to be happy and friendly all the time. I do expect them to serve the customer, which is their job. I worked in customer service when I was in college and I understand that it isn't easy to be upbeat all of the time. What I do not appreciate, however, is rudeness.

Case in point: at the local grocery store, there is a woman who works in the deli. She's probably been there for a long time and she'll probably be there until she can collect social security (she's probably in her mid-40s). I understand that it is tough work, and I understand that customers can be hard. That does not excuse her rudely asking me "Whaddya want?" when I am the only person in line during a slow evening.

Politeness is part of their job, and I expect it.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:04 AM

74 posts, read 135,141 times
I give people quite a bit of flexibility and don't expect non stop chit chat from anyone but if they are just terrible I think their manager would like to hear about it. Or would they?

Old 09-12-2012, 12:58 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
I don't expect customer service to be happy and friendly all the time. I do expect them to serve the customer, which is their job. I worked in customer service when I was in college and I understand that it isn't easy to be upbeat all of the time. What I do not appreciate, however, is rudeness.

Case in point: at the local grocery store, there is a woman who works in the deli. She's probably been there for a long time and she'll probably be there until she can collect social security (she's probably in her mid-40s). I understand that it is tough work, and I understand that customers can be hard. That does not excuse her rudely asking me "Whaddya want?" when I am the only person in line during a slow evening.

Politeness is part of their job, and I expect it.

OP, some people are not as aware of their body language as you might think, so that's one thing to keep in mind. I have said something to rude service people and went as far as to call a manager when I got rude service. you are right though Matilda..... I worked in customer service/retail for a few years. you do not have a right to come into a job and treat the customers/patients like sh*t because you had a bad day, your kids are sick, it's a low paying job etc. etc. Nobody cares. Unless you are a high flying executive or a business professional every job is 'low paying and thank less,' that's not an excuse. Now I work with patients in an office and I am not 'lil miss sunshine' by any means, LOL, but I am not outwardly rude to the patients either, unless they're rude to me. They don't view me as overly friendly or anything, but they know I am efficient and will answer anything that pertains to my job.

Bottom line is, if you don't want or can't handle public service jobs, then don't take them. Otherwise behave accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships