Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 03:01 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times

Advertisements

For three years in a row my sister has given me a "PetSmart" giftcard for Christmas. I really appreciate the thoughtfulness of the gift HOWEVER the nearest "PetSmart" to me is a 60 mile round trip. I am going to burn half the giftcard's value in gasoline and waste an hour of travel time just to redeem the silly thing at a store that is over priced compared to my regular source of pet supplies.

I don't want to sound ungrateful but it is such a waste. I have been trying FOR YEARS to get her to stop exchanging gifts on Christmas since we are both adults. I am thinking about compromising and suggest we just buy each other a 25 dollar gift card from Amazon and be done with it.

What is a good way to approach this without sounding ungrateful.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 04:10 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
The only way to do it tacfully is NOT to mention the gift she's given you for the past 3 years.

Just start new, and say something like, "For Christmas this year, let's try something new. Why don't we take each other to a nice lunch at XXX restaurant? I'd really just like to spend more time with you rather than $$."

If she brings up the gift card, casually say, "Well that is such a thoughtful present, but I buy most of my pet stuff at XXX store anyway." But try not to mention the gift card if possible.

Of course, prepare yourself to graciously accept one this year since it's too late to do anything about it.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:21 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,125,241 times
You could always try selling your gift card on one of the gift card sites. You won't get full retail value for it but at least something, then buy something at a closer pet store if you'd like. I've received some not so great gift cards and go on there. For example, I will get a restaurant that may be too far or not my fave so I will exchange it for something else on the site. Helps to feel less guilty for me, I suppose, lol.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:45 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,048,732 times
You could donate the card to your local animal rescue organization.
It might make you happy.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:56 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
You can use the card (I think) when shopping on line. Otherwise do you have a pet store closer by that you could mention to her?

Old 12-24-2012, 05:31 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
I just found out I could use it online....... Still, "PetSmart" is way overpriced compared to my preferred vendor.

My thing is that she is forcing me to buy from a vendor I would otherwise not consider and a product (pet supplies) that I may or may not need.

I guess I need to find a way to tell her an Amazon gift card would be much more useful to me. I get free shipping with Amazon but had to pay 7 dollars out of that 25.00 for shipping with Petsmart.

Another issue is I left 2.59 on the card. PetSmart is likely to keep that since it is hard to find something that is exactly the amount of the gift card. If I had an Amazon card I would likely be able to use it all since I regularly buy from them.

The whole problem is it bugs me to leave money on the table.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:02 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,482,498 times
I will second the idea to give it to an animal charity. Even the $2.59 can be used. Then it is not leaving it on the table.

Just be honest and tell your sister you value the thought but Amazon would be better value since you could also save on shipping.

I have rarely seen someone complain so bitterly about a gift card. My rule is if I get a complaint, they get nothing. Simple. So it should be phrased very nicely.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:08 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,102,741 times
OP, I try not to buy from PetSmart, since they're owned by Walmart, but if someone gave me a gift card for PetSmart, I would happy. Does that make me a hypocrite? Maybe, but I love gift cards of any kind.
About their overpriced-ness, you're not spending your money, so what the hey. Load up on greenies!

Old 12-24-2012, 06:29 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,313,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
For three years in a row my sister has given me a "PetSmart" giftcard for Christmas. I really appreciate the thoughtfulness of the gift HOWEVER the nearest "PetSmart" to me is a 60 mile round trip. I am going to burn half the giftcard's value in gasoline and waste an hour of travel time just to redeem the silly thing at a store that is over priced compared to my regular source of pet supplies.

I don't want to sound ungrateful but it is such a waste. I have been trying FOR YEARS to get her to stop exchanging gifts on Christmas since we are both adults. I am thinking about compromising and suggest we just buy each other a 25 dollar gift card from Amazon and be done with it.

Play Santa, and pass the gift card on to a needy person or animal rescue org.-- who lives in, or is located in, the same town as the store. If you can't find one, try posting a Craigslist ad. Make someone else's day, and give in the true spirit of the season!

Old 12-24-2012, 08:04 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

They do have a website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships