Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 09:39 AM

224 posts, read 828,257 times

Advertisements

Have an usual situation here and I'd like some help from someone hopefully wiser and more tactful as I have a tendency to be blunt especially when pressured. I became acquainted with this woman at a cultural presentation I attended. Since I am only recently back in this area I tried to make friends. We had dinner after the event so we could get acquainted. Then we have talked on the phone twice since. Well she originally agreed to attend this out of state event with me sharing hotel and gas expenses, but bailed out because she claimed it was stressing her too much to make hotel plans ahead of time even though its on a holiday weekend and everything will get booked.

Ok I went ahead made my own reservations. Now she has started contacting me caling and emailing when I didn't answer after she said she didn't want to talk anymore. I figure I will probably see her at the event and I don't want to associate with her because she has too many issues. So how do I get her to leave me alone gracefully without making a scene? What can I say? If this was a normal person it would be different, but this gal has severe mental illnesses and volunteered that she has 8 disorders and just recently was allowed to leave forced treatment in a mental hospital. She goes into the most intimate of details with strangers including yelling out at the restaurant about using her vibrator. I made the mistake of mentioning some childhood abuse experiences of my own and I am afraid she will blurt out God knows what at the event this weekend if she gets near me. She yells instead of talks so everyone hears. I'm sure it will hurt her to tell her I want nothing to do with her as she has zero friends and at nearly 50 lives with parents. What should I do? I'm just afraid I might say something that will set her off. Please don't think I am insensitive to the problems of the mentally ill. I'm sorry for her, but I can't handle dealing with someone like that as I have too many relatives with similar issues so I don't want any more drama in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 09:49 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
You could focus on the events and/or other people and just in general be stoic with her. If that doesn't work, you can always discreetly say "bye" while waving and looking annoyed and walk away.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:54 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Unfortunately sometimes "tactful" just doesn't work!! Maybe you will get lucky and she won't show

Old 05-21-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
You could focus on the events and/or other people and just in general be stoic with her. If that doesn't work, you can always discreetly say "bye" while waving and looking annoyed and walk away.
Maybe I should have been more specific. She will most likely try to follow me around like a puppy since she knows no one else there and has trouble with approaching strangers to get to know people. If I had not been so stupid and made the first move to speak to her I would never have gotten acquainted with her. The event will only have a couple hundred people so its not a big crowd. It just occurred to me should I email her back saying I'd prefer not to speak to her again since she just emailed me this morning probably in desperation since I didn't return her call and she still doesn't have reservations.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:34 AM

Ok I just received a 2nd email from her today.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:40 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
It depends on how balanced and obsessive the person is.

One might have to resort to being "rude" or "verbally forceful."
One will have to definitely resort to avoidance, which is inconvenient.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:47 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,384 times
Ignore her. If you see her at this out of state event, just try to stay as far away as possible from her. Do not approach her for any reason. I suspect she will not be there.

Block her emails. Block her calls.

If she makes a scene at the event, ask to have her removed.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:51 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
I think I would skip the event if it were me. It's not worth the aggravation to have to deal with her.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-21-2012, 11:51 AM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
Wear a disguise?

I really don't know. I've been in a similar situation and it was my natural instinct to use the ignore tactic, but that just doesn't work with crazy people...

This article may be of help...

How To Exit A Conversation

Old 05-21-2012, 12:49 PM

677 posts, read 1,538,413 times
Come on, Wembley, deal with this right now like a grown-up.

Your reply to her email should go like this:
Hello. Due to a change in plans, I will be traveling alone to the conference.
Regards,
Wembley

That's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships