Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 04:02 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,231,647 times

Advertisements

my biggest one is WHY do people not only feel compelled to judge others on things that are none of their business, but will even do so openly, make it obvious that they disapprove of your choices/actions/whatever, and will even act personally offended at something that does not concern them whatsoever. Moms judging other moms' parenting is an especially good example of this; also people judging SAHMs, people judging you for wearing nice clothes, people judging you for being shy or quiet, etc etc - I've experienced all these personally. Mind your own freaking business, people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 04:14 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,231,647 times
Here's another one: why do people, especially men, turn into psycho road-rage maniacs while driving when they would never act like that on the street or any other setting? I've seen perfectly nice sensible men turn into raging idiots in an instant and start doing stupidly dangerous things on the road because someone cut them off. And why the hell would you tailgate etc., and put yourself and passengers at enormous risk of a crash, just to prove...what? That you're a retard? SMH.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:46 PM

32,947 posts, read 36,405,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Why do people insist on handling something over the phone or in person when email will suffice? What's the point of having this technology if we aren't going to use it?

Why do so many people feel the need to give their unasked for opinions when they have no idea what they are talking about? I was taught to keep quiet if I didn't know about something, or ask inquisitively perhaps, in order to clarify or learn something new. I come across so many people every day that just vomit their opinions up on every topic without having the foggiest idea what they are talking about.
On CD?

Why do people pop their gum loudly or blow their nose loudly in public? These are commonly considered rude, but also very commonly done. Why??
I try to only do that when I'm alone, but sometimes I forget.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:51 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,144,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Just checking to see if anything is more appetizing the second, third and fourth times around

Actually many crosswalks won't give you a signal until you push the button. My questions is why people push it 30 times when they're in a rush. The first one is the only one that matters.

Undisclosed basement.

They're plotting something!!!

I have a good one. Why do people inch forward at a red light? Is that 2 inches going to get them there any faster?
The cats! i knew they were up to no good.

As for the drivers, maybe they played too much Pole position or Need for speed and they are acting on impulse.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:30 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,356,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
my biggest one is WHY do people not only feel compelled to judge others on things that are none of their business, but will even do so openly, make it obvious that they disapprove of your choices/actions/whatever, and will even act personally offended at something that does not concern them whatsoever. Moms judging other moms' parenting is an especially good example of this; also people judging SAHMs, people judging you for wearing nice clothes, people judging you for being shy or quiet, etc etc - I've experienced all these personally. Mind your own freaking business, people!
I know a single teen mom. Strangers tell her "You're too young to have a child."
I have this imaginary vision of her responding to such comments with: "Really? Why, thank you for your wisdom! How do I put him back in?"

Old 02-11-2013, 08:10 PM

774 posts, read 1,694,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post

2. Why do people wear shorts and a sweatshirt?
They want to show off their legs. I actually like this habit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Why do people insist on handling something over the phone or in person when email will suffice? What's the point of having this technology if we aren't going to use it?
Usually because they are old and refuse to believe that it's faster as well as more precise.

Quote:
Why do people pop their gum loudly or blow their nose loudly in public? These are commonly considered rude, but also very commonly done. Why??
And cracking knuckles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post

Why do people getting ready to board an elevator at the lowest level if you are "going down?"
Why do people post questions that I cannot understand, even though I've read them five times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post

I have a good one. Why do people inch forward at a red light? Is that 2 inches going to get them there any faster?
And why do they stomp on their accelerators when the red light is clearly visible straight ahead?
So they can then stomp on their brakes I guess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post

I'm talking about people who can never find their keys, an important document, a bill, etc, in their own home. I've NEVER misplaced anything in my own home, and I'm not exaggerating. Things have a place, and I put things in their place. Ask me where anything is in my home, and I can quickly locate it. It doesn't make me obsessive-compulsive, and I'm not obsessively neat by any stretch. I just put stuff where it goes.
Come clean and organize my house please. I'll pay, honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Why do people let their engine idle forever - isn't gas expensive enough?
Why do people water their yards in the rain? Is the rainwater not good enough?
Why do so many people have awesome yards but never spend any time outside?
How come so many people have expensive houses but ugly old cars?
How come the neighbors dog 5 houses away barks all night since months and I seem to be the only person who can't sleep?
How come the cashiers are super slow and I am much faster on self checkouts?
1 & 2: People are stupid and lazy. They'd rather complain than do anything useful.
(Turning off automatic sprinklers takes effort)
3: They hire the work out. It's done while you're at work.
4: Well, in the old days, cars depreciated. Now, both cars and houses do.
5: Three words: White Noise Generator. Separately, your neighbor needs a nice anonymous note.
Dogs are safer and healthier indoors at night anyway, particularly in wintertime.
6: Cashiers aren't motivated. They're paid hourly. HTH!

Old 02-11-2013, 08:39 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,747,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I never understood how people could lose things all the time.

I'm not talking about something falling through a hole in your pocket/purse, or a necklace breaking and falling off without your knowledge. Those things can still happen to the best of us.

I'm talking about people who can never find their keys, an important document, a bill, etc, in their own home. I've NEVER misplaced anything in my own home, and I'm not exaggerating. Things have a place, and I put things in their place. Ask me where anything is in my home, and I can quickly locate it. It doesn't make me obsessive-compulsive, and I'm not obsessively neat by any stretch. I just put stuff where it goes.

When I've lived with other people, I've had THEM misplace my things, but I never did.

Just in the last week, I've known people who:
--know they have a gift card for Petsmart someplace, but can't remember where they put it
--came to work late, because they couldn't find their keys
--can't find a sweatshirt they wore just recently
--lost a document I've given then 3 times already, so I had to give them yet a 4th copy
--paid a bill late because they misplaced the bill that came in the mail

I'm just always baffled by people who can't find stuff.
That's me. I am horribly disorganized and I have too much stuff, that's the simple answer. Matter of fact, I've been looking for my relatively new hoodie for 2 days. I just bought it on clearance at the campus bookstore. It's black though, and a lot of my clothing is black so it is harder to find but yeah, it's not even dirty yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Why do people let their engine idle forever - isn't gas expensive enough?
Why do people water their yards in the rain? Is the rainwater not good enough?
Why do so many people have awesome yards but never spend any time outside?
How come so many people have expensive houses but ugly old cars?
How come the neighbors dog 5 houses away barks all night since months and I seem to be the only person who can't sleep?
How come the cashiers are super slow and I am much faster on self checkouts?
Around here, it seems to be the opposite. I lived in a super ugly bad neighborhood and most of my neighbors had cars that probably cost more than their houses. One guy had a bright yellow Hummer and five or six restored classic cars and his house was just a few loose nails from being a falling-down shack.

Something my kids do a lot: poke around in a half-lit room forever for something, complain about how they can't find X, when there is a perfectly good, bright overhead light for their use. Why?
Nine times out of ten I yell "Maybe you should turn on the light!" from the other room and get the response of "Oh yeah, duh!?" and then they find their object. I think that's a different category though from the purpose of this thread since I think the kids are brain damaged until age 25 at least...

Old 02-13-2013, 03:04 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,404,948 times
Why do people complain about their circumstances and then do nothing to change them?
(re: weight, romantic situation, job, friendships, etc, etc, etc, etc)

Old 02-13-2013, 03:16 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,126,940 times
[quote=Sally_Sparrow;28199195]Why do people insist on handling something over the phone or in person when email will suffice? What's the point of having this technology if we aren't going to use it?
quote]

E mails can be easy ignored, calls less so. For many it is just easier to pick up the phone than to write a mail.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:40 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,316,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why do people complain about their circumstances and then do nothing to change them?
(re: weight, romantic situation, job, friendships, etc, etc, etc, etc)
This one! It bothers me that people whine all the time. Change whatever is bothering you, and if you can't learn to live with it. The rest of the world does not want to hear it; everyone has their own cross to bear, and should bear it gracefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships