Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 10:10 AM

458 posts, read 611,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I think a child or teen can greatly benefit by getting to know trustworthy adults who may have special skills, talents, abilities, knowledge, or experiences to share. I am thinking of older neighbors, whose maturity and life experiences could be shared with their younger neighbors.

Didn't anyone have a lady next door who baked cookies or gardened, and who shared her skills? How about the nice guy up the street who had model airplanes or pet iguanas, or the retired teacher who shared his books with neighbor kids? The lady with the shell collection, or the grandma who knows how to sew and would like to share her skills, or the good storytellers who only lack an audience? The remaining WWII vets whose stories are dying with them?

Good people like these can enrich young lives. It is sad to think that our society is becoming so generationally segregated.
I'm sure! but from my perspective as a parent, such experiences are not neccesary, to enrich the life of my child to the extent of developing a relationship/friendship. Communication is fine, relationship/friendship is different. The things you mentioned are in abundance at home. Any interesting skills beyond any that my husband and I possess, he!! that person can educate and entertain all of us, not just my child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 10:14 AM

1,466 posts, read 1,229,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceP View Post
I am not assuming anything. The OP is talking about 15 yo telling him how handsome he is, and being bold etc. That is not appropriate in my opinion. But those children are not mine.

My kids are too young now and privacy in my house is not guaranteed. When they are of age they can do whatever they want; but if you live under my roof you live by my rules.

But they do have very mellow personalities, I am praying they do not change much when they become teenagers
I would agree that that is inappropriate. And yeah, I wouldn't expect a 4 and 7 year old to have much privacy. Or need much for that matter.

Kids generally become more mellow as they get older I believe. So I'm sure they'll be fine.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell-the-Truth View Post
1. I'm "saying" exactly what I wrote.

2. I'm sure enough

3. great!
You are just so superior to me.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
You are just so superior to me.
Call it as you see it, dear.

However, my response to you will cease.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell-the-Truth View Post
Call it as you see it, dear.

However, my response to you will cease.
Fair enough, wise one. I still have much to learn before I can associate with the revered and wily Tell-the-Truth.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:24 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I think a child or teen can greatly benefit by getting to know trustworthy adults who may have special skills, talents, abilities, knowledge, or experiences to share. I am thinking of older neighbors, whose maturity and life experiences could be shared with their younger neighbors.

Didn't anyone have a lady next door who baked cookies or gardened, and who shared her skills? How about the nice guy up the street who had model airplanes or pet iguanas, or the retired teacher who shared his books with neighbor kids? The lady with the shell collection, or the grandma who knows how to sew and would like to share her skills, or the good storytellers who only lack an audience? The remaining WWII vets whose stories are dying with them?

Good people like these can enrich young lives. It is sad to think that our society is becoming so generationally segregated.
That's it, really. Kids are being raised to be alienated from whole generations, and losing the wisdom they have to pass on. Parents think they know everything, they want to be the sole influence on their children as if they're some perfect role model. Like this home-schooling nonsense, unless they have a good reason to be home-schooled I think all kids should, and should have the right, to go to school with children their own age.

Yes a full on buddy like friendship in real life with a teenage would be weird, but could still be perfectly innocent. As for a casual online friendship/acquaintance whatever you want to call it, it frankly didn't occur to me as a problem at all. Maybe I'm innocent to the world's suspicious or cynical ways?

Old 03-29-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That's it, really. Kids are being raised to be alienated from whole generations, and losing the wisdom they have to pass on. Parents think they know everything, they want to be the sole influence on their children as if they're some perfect role model. Like this home-schooling nonsense, unless they have a good reason to be home-schooled I think all kids should, and should have the right, to go to school with children their own age.

Yes a full on buddy like friendship in real life with a teenage would be weird, but could still be perfectly innocent. As for a casual online friendship/acquaintance whatever you want to call it, it frankly didn't occur to me as a problem at all. Maybe I'm innocent to the world's suspicious or cynical ways?
I'm assuming this "alienation of generations" is a result of all the elders on both sides of the family being deceased?

Old 03-29-2013, 03:57 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times
When I was a teenager, if I hadn't had older friends, I wouldn't have had friends.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:20 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,127,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

When you have your own kids, please let us know how you feel when your 15 yo is chatting and flirting with some adult male or female online. You cant understand if you are not a parent.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:48 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
I don't think you can really control who your kids befriend... the more a parent tries to shelter or deny or restrict the harder the kids tend to pull away and sneak around and do it anyway. Better to allow them to do things with you at least aware of what's going on, rather than try to tell them absolutely NO, and then they go off and you don't know where they are or who they're with. We have two teenage kids and we've really found that being objective and talking things over with them openly and honestly is really the best path to take. Help them make good choices, don't make the choices for them. When kids feel as if they have no control over their own lives, that's when things can get really ugly really quick. When you give your kids that kind of respect, they in return have more respect for you and your opinions. Then they do this thing called... listening. It's really cool when that happens... that listening thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships