Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has anyone ever regretted knowing someone?
Yes 123 89.13%
No 15 10.87%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:57 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,696,709 times

Advertisements

Yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 01:37 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,744,488 times
Yes, there are a few. Thankfully only a few.

Those that are annoying, selfish, liars, backstabbers, whatever. I don't want them in my life but don't necessarily regret it either, it's just irrelevant to me now.

There have been some, however, who have truly caused damage in some way to me or my family and that's another story. I am much less trusting and much slower to let people into my life, unfortunately, because of those few that I consider to be truly BAD people. As in those who probably have severe mental problems and think it is "fun" to wreak havoc and betray trust.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:38 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
Hard to admit i made such a mistake, but my ex wife!

Married a girl whose family were the 'big fish' in a small pond. Anxious to get out and see the world.

But it turns out she was a small town girl who couldn't grow, lied about her ambitions, turned out to be a gold digger extraordinaire, got physically and verbally abusive, and even though i have made her rich beyond her wildest imagination, she still wants more!

There is not a moment that goes by that i don't regret ever having known her (and every communication with her reinforces that belief). When people that know her hear this story, they just go 'well, duh', you just figured that out?

My bad.....regretably!

Old 05-08-2013, 07:55 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
Maybe I have a bad attitude but yeah, there are plenty of people I wish I had never met! I guess I learned some lessons from some of them but, toxic is toxic. I've learned to run the other way when I meet them now. That said, I'm more of a dog/cat person! Never met a dog I wished I hadn't met; even the few who bit me had their reasons.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:01 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I can only think of one person that I wish I had never known. She lied constantly, but I had no way of knowing that for awhile. She lives about an hour and a half from me so I did not see her alot or have privy to how she led her life on a day to day basis. When I found out she was lying about most everything, I immediately cut off our friendship. She then struck back doing a number of very mean things to me. The last time I saw her was 2 years ago and it has only been fairly recently that she has stopped attacking me in one form or another (not physically).
I had one of those too but she turned into a stalker when I dumped her. It took years to get rid of her. She even called my husbands employer making false allegations against my husband. She would call my work or his work after we changed our telephone number for the second time. I helped her move about 8 hours away before she got really crazy and I think the isolation drove her over the edge. She moved back a few months later and the harassment escalated. It's been years now since I've heard from her but yes I do regret ever knowing her. She was a nightmare.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:05 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikake View Post
There are several people, who I wish I had never met or even heard of. They are rotten to the core. I am more discerning about who I let into my life. Some people are beyond toxic and I want nothing to do those fools.
Exactly

Old 05-08-2013, 04:14 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Most of the people I have done that with and in time I know I will with this person. But I knew him for 7 years and thought he was the one only to find out he was a sociopath and not even gay. It takes time to get over something so traumatic as that, at least for me.
Use the experience to harden your heart to those that seek to do you harm. You have no other choice.

Life on this planet demands that only the strong or the hardened survive.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:17 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
Anytime I hear someone say some variation of this, I think, "That's IT? All I had to do all this time is "forget" and "move on"? Is this feasible for you all? My emotions don't cut on and off like a light switch. I've faced facts that some baggage I just have to carry with me for years, maybe a lifetime.

Anyway, to answer the question, YES. There are SEVERAL people I wish I'd never laid eyes on. Especially the last man I loved - I felt DESTROYED when he decided he wanted nothing to do with me. I'm still trying to get over the hurt.
I agree. I am unable to turn my emotions on and off that fast. Sure I have moved on and am dating a great guy who has helped me thru some hard issues. I am not sure he will be the one I spend the rest of my life with but he is defiantly what I need now. That being said I still feel the same way about the guy who lied to be about his sexual orientation. I am glad I figured it out and got him out of my life but I honestly regret ever meeting him and I think I will always feel this way. I want to add that its not really anger anymore, I got over that a few months ago, its just a deep regret of knowing someone who was capable of not caring about how someone would feel that he could make himself out to be gay when he was straight with no care on how it would impact the other person.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:59 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Use the experience to harden your heart to those that seek to do you harm. You have no other choice.

Life on this planet demands that only the strong or the hardened survive.
I agree but I still regret knowing him. And its not even about the rejection, I mean what it rejection? Someone does not like me I move on. Its happened before it will happen again. Its about someone lying about his sexual orientation and how he made it look like that he had a hard time coming out when in fact he was straight all along. He even apologized for hurting me then continued to hurt me. So for someone to have no care for another human and how his actions would affect me just causes me to regret ever knowing him and he is the only person I say that about.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:48 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,120,474 times
Yea, I'll add my step-mother to the list. Absolute b@$&h that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships