Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 12:06 PM

317 posts, read 1,090,394 times

Advertisements

So, I found out that my nephew may have won a bike at school. Neat. It's at a well to do school in a wealthy town that gets lots of financial support from the community. My kid doesn't attend nearly as wealthy school and probably won't ever have the chance of winning bikes.

The kicker is I'm financially well off and I can go buy my kid a new bike no problem. I could probably go buy a new bike ever week and would be fine. There's no reason why I should be jealous over the item - it just sounds neat to win a bike and I wish my kid would have that opportunity too.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 12:14 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
If you're financially well off, why don't you live in a better school district for your kid?

Old 05-13-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
If you're financially well off, why don't you live in a better school district for your kid?
My school district is top notch, but I don't believe they give away a lot of bikes throughout the year. (Do most? I don't think this is common).

Regardless, it wouldn't make sense for me to move so my kid could enter to win a free bike. It'd make a lot more sense to buy a bike. I just find that not nearly as exciting as winning bikes.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:16 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
I think the word would be ENVY, not JEALOUSY.

And yes, you sound very petty and small over this.

I take pride in making enough money to BUY the things I want. Why should you even care if your son wins ANYTHING his entire life?

Concentrate on having pride that you can provide for your family -- and take the energy you are spending generating envy and learn to feel some joy and excitement for others when they have something fortuitous happen in their lives.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:17 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Appears to be your issue and I do not understand why it would be so important to "win" something like that. Random drawings are held all the time, it is not a big deal. Over the years I have found the contests at school are for fund raising and the child has worked very hard to attain this goal so they deserve what they have earned.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:23 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedar_bluff_tree_farm View Post
My school district is top notch, but I don't believe they give away a lot of bikes throughout the year. (Do most? I don't think this is common).

Regardless, it wouldn't make sense for me to move so my kid could enter to win a free bike. It'd make a lot more sense to buy a bike. I just find that not nearly as exciting as winning bikes.
Okay, so suggest to your PTA or whoever to have fundraisers and sell raffle tickets. Of course, they may expect you to actually do the work for all of this, in which case, your kid would probably not be allowed to win.

Point is, to complain about this does seem kind of small. If it's that important to you that kids have chances to win bikes, make it happen. Or if you're just concerned with your own kid, buy raffle tickets to community youth group events. Schools are not the only entities that host raffles.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:37 PM

Thanks. I don't disagree that it's petty and small. Folks that picked up on that are 100% right, and I'm trying my best to let go because it's a stupid thing.

Quote:
I take pride in making enough money to BUY the things I want. Why should you even care if your son wins ANYTHING his entire life? Concentrate on having pride that you can provide for your family
This is correct and also something that I will work on.

Thank you all.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:47 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedar_bluff_tree_farm View Post
So, I found out that my nephew may have won a bike at school. Neat. It's at a well to do school in a wealthy town that gets lots of financial support from the community. My kid doesn't attend nearly as wealthy school and probably won't ever have the chance of winning bikes.

The kicker is I'm financially well off and I can go buy my kid a new bike no problem. I could probably go buy a new bike ever week and would be fine. There's no reason why I should be jealous over the item - it just sounds neat to win a bike and I wish my kid would have that opportunity too.

Thoughts?
I think you just want your kid to have the experience of winning something, which is really fun.

Don't worry. He'll win some things and lose some things, just like everyone else. You have to fight the feelings of envy, because they can make you do crazy things.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:51 PM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
You come across as very sore not just about the bike but also about the school your nephew goes to.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:38 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Your nephew?
I assume this is someone you are supposed to love?
Then every good thing that happens to him should bring you joy!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships