Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 11:58 AM

317 posts, read 1,090,628 times

Advertisements

We have my spouse's parents coming to town (not staying with us) this weekend. They'd like us to go out to dinner because they think it's fun when they are on vacation, but they don't want to pay for us.

We were not planning on going out this weekend and usually only go out to a meal about once a month or so. We had not budgeted in the cost of a meal out this weekend in our family budgets. We can afford the cost but I don't like the concept that we go spend a wad of cash when people visit, and besides, my wife makes better food than what we get in restaurants anyway.

So, what is the correct ettiquette in this situation?

Old 05-17-2013, 12:16 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,549,803 times
If it's a rare occurrence (once, twice a year) I'd join them, especially if you don't see them often. I hate spending money when I hadn't planned on it, too, so I feel you, but if it means spending extra time together then I'll do it. Again, that's only if they don't make it a habit, otherwise I'd say, "We thought we'd stay in for dinner, but please don't let us stop you. Go out and have fun."

Good luck with that.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:20 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExerciseVidiot View Post
If it's a rare occurrence (once, twice a year) I'd join them, especially if you don't see them often. I hate spending money when I hadn't planned on it, too, so I feel you, but if it means spending extra time together then I'll do it. Again, that's only if they don't make it a habit, otherwise I'd say, "We thought we'd stay in for dinner, but please don't let us stop you. Go out and have fun."

Good luck with that.
This ^^. Unless, your wife wants to go out, and in that case, I would defer to her.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:39 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedar_bluff_tree_farm View Post
... but I don't like the concept that we go spend a wad of cash when people visit...
See with our family this is expected. We either plan a dinner which costs money or go out to eat. Either way, guests always need to be entertained somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExerciseVidiot View Post
If it's a rare occurrence (once, twice a year) I'd join them, especially if you don't see them often.
^^^ This.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:27 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Exercise Vidiot was very nice about it.

Just go out with them and get over yourself.

It's your wife's parents, for cripes sake.

Did they not do enough for her by giving her life and raising her??? Y'all can't spare one "unbudgeted' meal?

Old 05-17-2013, 05:38 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
The correct ettiquette is you go to dinner and pay for your inlaws dinner too. How often do you see them? This is one thread where I would like to question the OP's wife.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:19 PM

589 posts, read 1,348,055 times
I say it's up to your wife, it's her decision. Either you go out to eat, and if this is a once-in-a-blue-moon kind of thing, you really should be offering to pay for everyone; OR you offer to host the meal in your home, if your wife wants to cook.

Or, you stay home and fend for yourself, and your wife enjoys a meal with her parents.

Either way, it's entirely your wife's call.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:11 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
If your in-laws are paying to travel to your town, and paying to stay elsewhere, then you should take them to diner. If you really can't afford it, offer to cook for them. If they really want to go out, go and pay for yourselves. It shouldn't be a lot more than cooking for them anyway. How long are they in town? When we have family visit we usually do a variety of things for dinner. We take turns paying to eat out, or bring home take out, or I cook for all of us. If you usually go out to eat once or twice a month, just make this one of those times.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:36 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
If your wife is going to be cooking all day, pay her for the time. I think you will find that, plus the cost of the groceries, is the same as eating out. The only difference wil be that your wife will be exhausted from the cooking, plus the entertaining, plus her usual work.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
If your wife is going to be cooking all day, pay her for the time. I think you will find that, plus the cost of the groceries, is the same as eating out. The only difference wil be that your wife will be exhausted from the cooking, plus the entertaining, plus her usual work.
What???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships