Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 12:31 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times

Advertisements

Maybe you should ask them if they'd like to pull the wings off of flies or torture some puppies when they're finished humiliating some innocent human being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 01:44 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Maybe you should ask them if they'd like to pull the wings off of flies or torture some puppies when they're finished humiliating some innocent human being.
They probably would and do just that.

Even so -- I think attitude has a lot to do with getting picked on. I have dogs that will chase cats but only if the cat runs. I have a cat that gives any dog that looks at her "the look" and they back off and leave her alone.

Why is it that some kids and adults are never victimized, others always are.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:02 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,845,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
In essence, some aggressive people never grow up and show compassion. You will see this go on everywhere unfortunately.
That's just it - people who are aggressive bullies are mistaken for being "strong", when the truth is they are the weakest of the bunch. They're just aggressively defending their own deep-seated insecurities by putting on a front of "toughness". But you know what? Toughness is not something that's needed all the time. At the end of the day, life is about loving and connecting with people, and the chronically "tough" are the guarded ones who are too terrified to step out of their little comfort zone. I would hate to live a life where I felt I had to be "on" all the time, trying to prove myself and trying to make others look bad to accomplish that. What kind of existence is that?

My coworker - who I have stood up for, by the way - is a kind and sensitive person, qualities that I personally think are awesome. But an aggressive, bully type doesn't even speak the same language as the sensitive among us; it's like they view the world through an entirely different lens. To them, it's all about who is up, and who is down, rather than learning to appreciate people for who they are and what they have to offer. These people never get to the truth of anything - they just jockey for position and take hostages.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
My coworker - who I have stood up for, by the way - is a kind and sensitive person, qualities that I personally think are awesome.
See my quote.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:20 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They probably would and do just that.

Even so -- I think attitude has a lot to do with getting picked on. I have dogs that will chase cats but only if the cat runs. I have a cat that gives any dog that looks at her "the look" and they back off and leave her alone.

Why is it that some kids and adults are never victimized, others always are.
There seems to be something inate in nature to target the weak, however, as thinking beings we should know better.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
There seems to be something inate in nature to target the weak, however, as thinking beings we should know better.
We should. Me, I have no problem targeting someone if they've wronged me and they deserve to be targeted. But to target someone just because they have a vulnerability? To target someone just to make yourself look better in comparison? I couldn't look at myself in the mirror anymore. I would be so ashamed.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:21 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,392,148 times
People can be just plain mean-spirited at times. It's part of the human condition, but that's no excuse for unacceptable behavior.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:22 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,251 times
People as a species are irredeemably awful.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:59 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
People as a species are irredeemably awful.

Gang of Chimps Attack and Kill a Lone Chimp - YouTube

I'm glad the OP could be like the chimp who defended the one being attacked, if indeed he/she does stand up for him (obviously you can't be his constant protector, but at least not remaining quiet all the time).

Old 06-06-2013, 08:25 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
I used to work in a hospital and there was a man who was a "runner." He brought specimens over to our lab several times a day and he was obviously mentally handicapped though quite competent in his job and I always treated him with the respect he deserved. He had one maddening habit though--he would have to deliver a little speech when he came and if he got interrupted he'd start all over again. My co-worker at that time thought it was hilarious to continually interrupt him so he would start and re-start his speech 20 times or more. I so wanted to bind and gag that woman and never had any use for her after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships