Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 07:51 AM

41 posts, read 239,050 times

Advertisements

Hi,

So there is this guy I met when I was being interviewed for a job. He was an employee of that company and I was chatting with him for like 30 min while I was waiting to be interviewed. He told me to send him my CV so he could forward it to his contacts. So I did, and we started to talk a little via email.
He seemed to be pretty interested in me- But I directly told him that I have a boyfriend with who I live to not create wrong expectations. He seemed really disappointed, but we kept talking and he kept inviting me to the theatre and for dinner, I never went though because I didn't wanna meet other guys when I have a boyfriend.

The only times I met him was twice on a party with friends, my boyfriend didn't come with me. We talked a lot that evening and I like him a lot, but as a friend, not as a potential love interest. It's really obvious though that he has a crush on me. The way he talks to me, the way he looks at me and he's texting me
every day.

A week ago me and my BF broke up. I told the guy too, and I'm pretty sure now he's hoping again. Still, it's not just that I don't feel like dating anyone new at the moment, it's also that all I see in that guy is a friend. I don't wanna loose him as a friend, but he wants more from this.

So now I don't know what to do. Should I make it clear another time that all I want from him is friendship? Or should I try to reduce contact to not create wrong expectations and to not hurt him?

Thanks.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:04 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,616,985 times
Yes,I think you must mark the border. Friend! Tell him - you (important) for me as a friend and I do not want to lose you. If he is understands . Then you can become friends. If he does not understand, it is better to remove it from your life. Or will be his girlfriend...

Old 06-19-2013, 08:06 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,616,985 times
But I can tell you 90 percent, that it can not be a friend.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:29 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saphiry View Post
Hi,

So there is this guy I met when I was being interviewed for a job. He was an employee of that company and I was chatting with him for like 30 min while I was waiting to be interviewed. He told me to send him my CV so he could forward it to his contacts. So I did, and we started to talk a little via email.
He seemed to be pretty interested in me- But I directly told him that I have a boyfriend with who I live to not create wrong expectations. He seemed really disappointed, but we kept talking and he kept inviting me to the theatre and for dinner, I never went though because I didn't wanna meet other guys when I have a boyfriend.

The only times I met him was twice on a party with friends, my boyfriend didn't come with me. We talked a lot that evening and I like him a lot, but as a friend, not as a potential love interest. It's really obvious though that he has a crush on me. The way he talks to me, the way he looks at me and he's texting me
every day.

A week ago me and my BF broke up. I told the guy too, and I'm pretty sure now he's hoping again. Still, it's not just that I don't feel like dating anyone new at the moment, it's also that all I see in that guy is a friend. I don't wanna loose him as a friend, but he wants more from this.

So now I don't know what to do. Should I make it clear another time that all I want from him is friendship? Or should I try to reduce contact to not create wrong expectations and to not hurt him?

Thanks.
This will make the friendship strained, Esp as you just met. Sometimes you cant have it both ways. He will get frustrated, You will start dating someone else in time, Not him and you can bet this will make things more difficult. Let him know how you feel-No hints. Straight up at the very least. Don't expect him to stick around though. And then let it go.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:33 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times
I don't think these kind of situations ever really work out. You just can't be friends with someone where one person is attracted to the other, but the other person just sees them as a friend. This guy will always be hoping you'll change your mind, and yes he likely will be resentful when you start dating someone else.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:48 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Is this guy actually a "friend" though? You don't seem to even like him that much. Sounds more like an acquaintance. Treat him like you would any other acquaintance. Remain polite and professional but stop sharing personal information with him. This is an easy one.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:59 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,990,798 times
Tell him he's just like a brother to you. LOL. If he doesn't get the hint then, he probably has a screw loose.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:59 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,934,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saphiry View Post
Hi,

Thanks.
The kindest thing you can do is tell him firmly that you are only interested in friendship. Reducing contact is not a bad idea, either.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:03 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Maybe it is just me, but some things in this picture just don't seem right. You were living with your boyfriend but you started talking to this other guy ? Then you went to a party and he was there but your BF wasn't with you.

I don't think it is any surprise you and your BF broke up.......it doesn't seem like there was a lot of commitment or loyalty there on your part. I would be pretty upset if someone I was in a live in relationship with was out chatting it up with other guys who were obviously interested in her. Tag me old fashioned, but I think you are playing a dangerous game. It's ok to have casual friends of the opposite sex when you are in a relationship, but you have to be smart enough to stay away from ones who are hot for you.

Don

Old 06-19-2013, 12:08 PM

41 posts, read 239,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Maybe it is just me, but some things in this picture just don't seem right. You were living with your boyfriend but you started talking to this other guy ? Then you went to a party and he was there but your BF wasn't with you.

I don't think it is any surprise you and your BF broke up.......it doesn't seem like there was a lot of commitment or loyalty there on your part. I would be pretty upset if someone I was in a live in relationship with was out chatting it up with other guys who were obviously interested in her. Tag me old fashioned, but I think you are playing a dangerous game. It's ok to have casual friends of the opposite sex when you are in a relationship, but you have to be smart enough to stay away from ones who are hot for you.

Don

Excuse me? Don't judge about things you don't have a clue about. My ex has a job which requires him to travel a lot. That guy and I have some friends in common so I randomly met him on two parties.. so what? I never cheated on my ex and I never planned to, us breaking up has absolutely nothing to do with that. Only because a guy likes me doesn't mean I have to like him back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships