Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 02:58 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,991,334 times

Advertisements

There was a girl that I took a class with about 4 years ago. We were class buddies. We really didn't keep in contact after the class ended, though we were Facebook friends (makes it official). I went to a fast food place and ordered from the menu. One person helped me, then the next person down the line said "Hi!" and helped me. I looked up and I sort of recognized her, but I didn't really put two and two together until a few seconds later. For some reason I just had her complete my order and couldn't get up the nerve to say "Hi, I remember you". I think she remembered me because she kept on trying to make eye contact with me, but I just kept on looking down at the food she was making.

Has anyone else had this experience? I sort of froze and didn't know what to do or how to act/react. Maybe it was because she was waiting/serving me and I didn't want to make it awkward. I don't know why I did what I did and I feel really stupid about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 04:01 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,906,071 times
Why did you react this way? What's embarrassing about her trying to make a living? There will always be people more successful and less successful than you. Not a big deal. Next time, make an effort

Old 07-09-2013, 04:10 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,139,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
Why did you react this way? What's embarrassing about her trying to make a living? There will always be people more successful and less successful than you. Not a big deal. Next time, make an effort
I agree. A quick hello and acknowledgement would have not been out of order. It's not like she was expecting you to propose marriage, She was just serving your food.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:48 PM

I know!! I agree. I should have said "Hi" but I panicked for some weird reason! I think my social skills are getting worse as I get older. I feel so stupid

Old 07-09-2013, 06:02 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
I think you need to look at yourself and examine your fear of, or prejudice against, people who live with economic insecurity. It's a lot of people these days. I know plenty of individuals with good educations/skills who perform menial jobs, some by choice but most out of necessity. At least she's helping herself; she's to be admired.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:12 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,672,166 times
Ah hell, you knew who she was, I guess you just wasn`t expecting her to be working at a fast food joint, and maybe surprised you. I still would have made eye contact...Meh...go back another day, and be more prepared for it. Good luck

Old 07-09-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Ah hell, you knew who she was, I guess you just wasn`t expecting her to be working at a fast food joint, and maybe surprised you. I still would have made eye contact...Meh...go back another day, and be more prepared for it. Good luck
I think you're right! I knew her, and I wasn't expecting to see her. Felt kind of weird asking her to "add lettuce to that".

Old 07-09-2013, 08:55 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
That happened to me before...I ran into a high school friend working at a gas station, five or six years after we graduated. She said Hi, I said Hi, and that was it. I felt bad later for not having a longer conversation or getting her phone number so we could catch up (this was before facebook). I didn't do it out of snobbishness or anything, I wasn't working anywhere better, I was just in a hurry and it took me a little while to process who it was.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:43 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,541,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
I think you're right! I knew her, and I wasn't expecting to see her. Felt kind of weird asking her to "add lettuce to that".
Why would it feel weird to ask? I think you are trying to tell us you have learned to look down on fast food workers. Maybe your feeling uncomfortable is your wake up call to maturity. Not every fast food employee is a loser.

Every one has worked tough jobs including our parents and grandparents. If you can't change, I guess you will go through life without enough lettuce on your fast food.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:07 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post

Has anyone else had this experience? I sort of froze and didn't know what to do or how to act/react. Maybe it was because she was waiting/serving me and I didn't want to make it awkward. I don't know why I did what I did and I feel really stupid about it.
I wouldn't be so harsh on yourself. It appears you never really knew her as much as she (thought) she knew you - it's been four years and you didn't maintain contact afterwards so she was practically a stranger.

[with that said, be nice to fast food workers or any server for that matter - not because they could be friends but because they are people]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships