Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 08:48 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,932,096 times

Advertisements

Hi, sheena!
I agree that a person has the "right" to be called whatever they want.

Additional info is this: When I changed my name, I had to state my reasons in writing to, I believe, the clerk of the court in my county. Someone, maybe that person, actually had to approve my reasons and choice and I think it is possible that I could have been denied. So we have the right but maybe not the privilege to do it legally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Here's the thing - you don't get to name your aunt.

The OP was asking if anyone ever changed their whole name first and last - not because of divorce, remarriage, marriage or adoption.

How do you know that the name that she chose "had no significance" to her? How about this - she liked it!

She sounds like an interesting person who didn't want to be kept in a box.

I've only known one person, the one that I mentioned; to change his whole name - first and last. I've had several friends who were performers who have a stage name and a legal name. They all prefer their stage names, and I'm in no place to decide what name an adult wants to be called - performer or older aunt.

After 18, anyone can change their name. And if they do, they have the right to be called the name they want - not what you - or anyone else decides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 11:57 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
I had my last name legally changed many years ago, even before my children were born. My Grandfather Americanized our last name by shortening it, with no "s" at the end of it.

What kind of Greek name doesnt end in an "s" LOL

It did not then sound like a Greek last name.

he did it when they came to Ellis Island.

I do not believe in that. Your name reflects your heritage. I changed it back to what it originally was in Greece. My father did not however.

Now my 3 sons have authentic Greek last names that will be carried on for many years to come.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:59 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Here's the thing - you don't get to name your aunt.

The OP was asking if anyone ever changed their whole name first and last - not because of divorce, remarriage, marriage or adoption.

How do you know that the name that she chose "had no significance" to her? How about this - she liked it!

She sounds like an interesting person who didn't want to be kept in a box.

I've only known one person, the one that I mentioned; to change his whole name - first and last. I've had several friends who were performers who have a stage name and a legal name. They all prefer their stage names, and I'm in no place to decide what name an adult wants to be called - performer or older aunt.

After 18, anyone can change their name. And if they do, they have the right to be called the name they want - not what you - or anyone else decides.
What? Of course I didn't get to name my aunt. I never called her by the wrong name, just her first name (a nickname, actually).

How do I know that it had no significance to her? Because she told me. You do understand the difference between "significance" and "like", right? I DID say she liked how it sounded. But the names held no significance.

She was interesting. In fact, I was as close to her as I am my mother. I never criticized her choice. How dare you lecture me on how I NEED to feel about my own family member. I called her by her NAME. Obviously, she didn't have a problem with that, as we remained very close until her death.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:45 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,440,764 times
I appreciate all the responses so far, thanks!

One of my concerns about choosing a different last name is that family names are important, and I don't want to choose a name that has significance to other people - you know what I mean?

My uncle has done our family genealogy and I've considered two surnames from our family history, but the ones I like the most are names that sounds like something else, not necessarily negative but something that could be laughed at

Old 08-13-2013, 04:48 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
I am still married (seperated) but will get divorced at some time.

I never liked my husband's last name but it was out of question for me to marry and have a different last name as my spouse. It is a looong Dutch name where people make the worst creations out of it - the worst one was "Oystersnout" and "Oysterskin". Just gross.

I have a hard time booking hotels at work and getting a confirmation email - most booking staff can't spell and the spelling on my name doesn't make much sense (pronounced different as written). I asked my boss to get a different email address, but that is not possible.

My maiden name is not so great either and I am not that little town person anymore where the name would fit. I love my family, but taking their name back is like a step backwards. Also, it is a German name that nobody here can pronounce.

Don't have a middle name that would be appropriate as a last name.

I guess I am kinda stuck. Either need to marry right after my divorce or pull a nice fantasy name out of my butt . I vote for the fantasy name and never tell my parents

Old 08-13-2013, 06:19 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
^
To the poster above, yes, it is rough when your last name is hard to pronounce, etc, or just plain horrible.

If you really want to change it without making it "ethnic" or a name your "mommy" (lol) would hate, how about a first name for a last name.

Something like "Mary Charles", or "Mary Christopher" or "Mary Jason", all easy to say and spell....

I never understood why people with a silly family name would keep it, or even have it in the first place....

My mothers first boyfriends last name was "Stump", can you imagine???? "Stump". (so glad she married my Greek dad)....or a childhood friend of mine had the last name "Watt".....Hi, my name is "Sam Watt".....or Butt, Hi, my name is "Steven Butt".................

I don't understand having or keeping the dumb last names....Weiner . LOL, need I say more...

Old 08-13-2013, 08:07 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
I changed my last name because I always hated it. It was a German last name, which no one could spell, and it meant "Pigeon Breeder." I now have a Danish last name which gets misspelled on occasion, but not very often. Since I was spending the money to change my last name, I did variations on my first and middle names. I'm called by a nickname all the time anyway, and my full name is only on paperwork.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:43 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,932,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
^
To the poster above, yes, it is rough when your last name is hard to pronounce, etc, or just plain horrible.

If you really want to change it without making it "ethnic" or a name your "mommy" (lol) would hate, how about a first name for a last name.

Something like "Mary Charles", or "Mary Christopher" or "Mary Jason", all easy to say and spell....

I never understood why people with a silly family name would keep it, or even have it in the first place....

My mothers first boyfriends last name was "Stump", can you imagine???? "Stump". (so glad she married my Greek dad)....or a childhood friend of mine had the last name "Watt".....Hi, my name is "Sam Watt".....or Butt, Hi, my name is "Steven Butt".................

I don't understand having or keeping the dumb last names....Weiner . LOL, need I say more...
Hi. I think people keep difficult or strange last names because it's a family "thing" or maybe they like to be unique. In any case, as has been stated by posters above, it's up to the person what he or she wants to be called. We get to go along with it, or drop out of their world. No biggie.

I was acquainted with a man whose last name was "Hogg." I never could bring myself to call him that, so I just avoided that language. He claimed it and seemed to be proud of being strong enough to carry it.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:26 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
When I married, my parents begged me to keep my maiden name because I am the last one in the family. I told them, I won't have children anyway, so no need to keep that name. I couldnt tell them I always hated my last name.

I am sure they expect me to take my maiden name back when I get divorced. It would break their heart if I change my name to a fantasy name that has no connection to our family.

Ugh.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:36 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
I've long considered changing my name to "Your Name" but they wouldn't let me do it with the quotation marks so I said forget it then. Too bad, the endless possibilities of social interactions, bewildered stares and down-right hostility would have been fun to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships