Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 05:03 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Actually, a couple of my best friends and favorite people are like this...pulling teeth.

But I like them so much, it is ok if I have to be the conversational cruise director.

One of them has a chatty husband, so it is easier when he is there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 08:06 AM

61 posts, read 137,007 times
I know exactly what you mean. I used to have people that I tried to be friends with but there was NO conversation so finally the friendship died down. I only have a few people I choose to talk with, I mostly avoid conversation all together or I talk about things no one wants to talk about so I don't have to deal with the anxiety of attempting to keep it going.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:12 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
I don't waste my time in the presence of anyone I cannot have an actual conversation with, there is no point at all.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:22 AM

458 posts, read 645,083 times
There's an old saying going around that says: "The truth is stranger than fiction" Do you you want to know the whole truth and nothing but the truth? Most people live boring and mundane lives, and the only ways to make themselves sound interesting is to make up fabricated stories. How do I know this? Because I've already been through a TON of experiences in my life and easily catch people in lies. But I tend to brush it off and pretend they don't exist. If they want to make themselves feel important for no reason, then I have no reason to stop them.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:40 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,516,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
It's amazing how much time I have to spend with people who I share absolutely no conversational chemistry. They are usually friends of my wife, relatives or people who are in various groups I participate in. I use every trick in the book to get the conversation in gear to make it interesting for everyone but both parties appear to be unsatisfied. I leave the event bored to tears and they give me the impression they feel the same. At least I try.

Is this common with you and how do you cope? (Don't tell me I don't have to attend, I do!)
I don't think you DO have to attend. If your wife knows you are bored to tears, she should be more understanding.

I am in my mid 60's and we now pretty much only spend time with people who interest us. We even avoid many close family members and have come to realize how relieved we have become. It takes practice. Try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships