Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 05:58 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,083,322 times

Advertisements

I can tell you why - an autoimmune disorder like hers is *very* taxing on the body. I, too, have an autoimmune disorder and when I was not well medicated the idea of a large party, or a long night out, terrified me. She is trying to keep your relationship 1 on 1 because it's all she can handle at the moment - and that's from personal experience. If you spring extra people on her you might as well be punching her in the stomach - and no, that's not an exaggeration - it's really difficult to handle the stress.

Quote:
is now on SS Disability with fibromyalgia and/or a raft of mysterious and never-ending alments
This sentence of yours suggests you don't fully understand her struggle. Believe me, she is suffering every day but she is trying to make the effort to keep your friendship. I hope you can take a moment and appreciate her position and then realize that it's far harder on her to just have a night out than it is for you to not include a few more people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 11:07 AM
hvl

403 posts, read 552,187 times
I have many interests that aren't usually found in the same person.

I have friends I met at work. Friends who are older than I am. Friends who are younger than I am.
Music friends. Friends of my gf. Friends I can get into serious philosophical conversations with. Friends I can only chat about banal stuff with.

I have friends who from one sphere of interest can't understand or relate to some of my other interests. I have no choice but to hang out 1 on 1.
Having a group of friends sounds great but I'm just a bit too odd for that.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:04 PM

10 posts, read 11,628 times
Some people are guarded , dishonest, and secretive. They are a different person with each friend. They cannot be sincere. This is a character flaw. These people are empty and probably looking to fill their needs instead of offering sincere friendship. Each friend is in a different need group.

Last edited by pamela71; 01-05-2014 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 01-05-2014, 09:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
I welcome any insights or opinions to help me understand:
Why do some people choose friendship 'singularities' over groups of three or four?
..and why do they segregate their friends, talking about people who they will never introduce to you and whom you will never get to know - at least thru them?
I don't know if this provides insight since the three of you know each other. My daughter has a friend like this. She keeps all of her friends segregated and never introduces them to each other. It seems she's insecure that they will like each other better and later exclude her. My daughter suspects that she tells elaborate lies about herself and she fears two friends meeting would result in their discovering her lies. She also talks extensively about her friends, and probably fears they'll find out what she says about them if they meet other friends.

That doesn't apply to your situation because the three of you already know each other and are trying to include her in the group. Maybe your friend simply developed this lifelong habit due to having similar fears of losing friends. As for your feeling that she's restricting your ability to have different levels of social interaction, find more friends instead of relying only on these two.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:51 AM

10 posts, read 11,628 times
I am in the process of weeding out my circle of "friends". Although I prefer one on one companionship, I have made one or two large parties annually over the past 40 years. Usually I have a fall bbq for about 20 people but on occasion I have a cozy winter fireplace gathering. I realize that many of my guests have never invited me back to their homes. Many have not even returned the favor by inviting me out to dinner nor have they even bought me a drink.
So I am scaling down on entertaining people in my home. My two or three friends will always be welcome. Also, I am cutting down on being "party filler". I don't like blending in with 40 people who I rarely see except at these mass-parties.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:10 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
When someone compartmentalizes like that, it means they want to be one thing to one circle friends, and something entirely different to another. Like the couple who like to go out and party hard on Saturday nights and attend church and Bible study on Sunday morning.

I read an article a few years back on the swinger community (No. Not our bag). From the article, most of the people interviewed had their "vanilla" friends and then the set of friends with whom they'd ride the baloney pony on odd weekends. And never did the twain meet.

So yeah, I could see it happening.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:57 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
I've been through this before and I will say that it's good to have someone, or a group of people, to turn to if things get weird with your other friends. When you have one big social group and everyone knows everyone else it CAN get tricky for you in some situations.

I thank heavens I had a couple friends of my own when I got divorced for example. My daughter brought her bf into her social circle a few years back and he's bonded with several people, including a couple close gal pals of hers that live in his apartment building. She senses they may break up soon and knows how awkward it's going to be for everyone so she is actively cultivating friendships with some people he isn't as close to. Sometimes you need a "safety zone". LOL.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:04 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've been through this before and I will say that it's good to have someone, or a group of people, to turn to if things get weird with your other friends. When you have one big social group and everyone knows everyone else it CAN get tricky for you in some situations.

I thank heavens I had a couple friends of my own when I got divorced for example. My daughter brought her bf into her social circle a few years back and he's bonded with several people, including a couple close gal pals of hers that live in his apartment building. She senses they may break up soon and knows how awkward it's going to be for everyone so she is actively cultivating friendships with some people he isn't as close to. Sometimes you need a "safety zone". LOL.
That's another good reason. MrsCPG has a couple of friends with whom she loves to do things such as peruse antique stores and the whatnot. But their husbands are excruciatingly dull to be around, and that's coming from a guy who can talk to almost anyone. They don't read. They don't watch anything interesting on TV. They don't listen to music. They pretty much want to talk about golf or work, work or golf, 24/7. Ten minutes into a dinner party, I'm looking at the knife on my place setting and wondering how much it would hurt if I slid it up my wrist. That kind of dull.

So, yes, we have several circles of friends. All good people. Just radically different enough to wonder how they'd all mix together.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:11 PM

404 posts, read 385,903 times
Default Variety

Many years ago I tried mixing a group of different friends and it was a mess. I thought two were going to get into a fist fight.

Also, I like to go hiking and I invited two friends who are total opposites. They argued for most of the hike.

I tend to like a variety of people. I might not agree with their religion or everything they do but we may have other things in common. Some of my friends are not so open minded and would just start an argument or get mad over how a total stranger lives their lives.

For example, I have one friend who is very religious and does not like for people to curse and she's quick to tell you, you shouldn't drink alcohol.

I have another friend who is a drinking buddy and curses alot.

Yet, I have another friend who's a combination of the two. Variety.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:30 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
I agree, Chili, it has ruined friendships trying to get my very different friends to socialize. They're generally nothing alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships