Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 01:54 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times

Advertisements

Thank God for the prenup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 01:57 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Yes there is a prenup.

When you ask me why a man I'm married to needs approval to use his own money. It might be ""his"" but I would equate this to him being marrried and still swinging ""his"" penis to other women. It might be ""his"" but IMO marriage means you are accountable to the other person. So using your logic I guess you allow your husband to use ""his"" penis to have sex with other women? I would think not!
That's hardly the same thing.

1) It sounds like you think this money could've gone to you if it hadn't gone to the house. Probably not, since he obviously had other designs for it from the start.

2) How are you actually suffering from this? He wants you to help out with the house, ok, but what else do you do during the day? Are you sitting around the house, hanging out with girlfriends, getting manicures, going shopping, or any other type of leisure activity, while he's much older, possibly still working, and his sibling may also be much older and/or also working? If so, get off your butt and help out a bit.

3) I assume that your husband knew you didn't like the idea of him making this purchase, yet did so anyway. Do you often try to veto ideas that have to do with his family? Do you often try to guide all money spent into your corner (meaning it's spent on you instead of anything else)? If so, then I can see why he ignored your wishes.

4) The main issue is that you guys probably need marriage counseling. The dynamic/communication between you two doesn't seem very good. Ultimately, I think the issue is less about the house, and more about what the house represents (him not listening to you, him choosing where money is supposed to go, you being a little entitled and perhaps not bringing any funds to the table, etc.).

Old 10-30-2013, 02:11 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Depending on the complete situation these are all excellent points.

There are so many unknowns.
Is this a couple of hours a month "help out in a pinch" responsibility or is it a 10 to 15 hour a week house repair/upkeep each and every week, that the real owners are forcing a non-owner to complete.
I doubt the OP is being asked to do home repairs. She said they wanted her to work on getting the house rented out. To me that would mean putting a few listings on the internet, answer some emails, taking calls from potential renters, and showing them the house.

To me it seems like it would be in her best interest to get it rented out. The longer it sits vacant, the more money her husband has to put into it, and the less money he has to maintain her lifestyle. The OP said in another thread that she is only with her husband for his money (shocking that the relatives call her a gold digger), so why not help him keep a little bit more of that money?

They could even pay her commission if she finds a renter. She was fired from her last job because she lied on her resume about her experience. Working as a type of office assistant for them while she is between jobs can help give her the experience she'll need to find another job.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:17 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Gold digger: Any woman whose primary interest in a relationship is material benefits. A woman who cares more about a man's bank account than she does about the man.

You have admitted such. How is his family calling it out like it is so bad?

Last edited by cheryjohns; 10-30-2013 at 02:52 PM..

Old 10-30-2013, 02:19 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:

When you ask me why a man I'm married to needs approval to use his own money. It might be ""his"" but I would equate this to him being marrried and still swinging ""his"" penis to other women. It might be ""his"" but IMO marriage means you are accountable to the other person.
If you really believe that, there are bigger problems with your marriage....

Old 10-30-2013, 02:21 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
You have admitted such. How is his family calling it out like it so bad?
I guess she didn't think she was making it that obvious to the family. But yeah, when you say you are only with your husband so that you can maintain a certain lifestyle, that is a gold digger. When you say you won't leave him for another man because the other man can't maintain the lifestyle you've grown accustomed too, that is a gold digger. His family is just calling it like they see it. The husband probably knows too and will eventually get tired of her antics and not see the worth in keeping her around.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:42 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I guess she didn't think she was making it that obvious to the family. But yeah, when you say you are only with your husband so that you can maintain a certain lifestyle, that is a gold digger. When you say you won't leave him for another man because the other man can't maintain the lifestyle you've grown accustomed too, that is a gold digger. His family is just calling it like they see it. The husband probably knows too and will eventually get tired of her antics and not see the worth in keeping her around.
I would love to be a fly on the wall:>)

Old 10-30-2013, 03:37 PM

242 posts, read 391,732 times
Quote:
And important side note, the sibling calls me a ``gold digger``
In your panties thread, you said yourself that you're in the marriage for the money. Isn't that the classic definition of a gold-digger?

Old 10-30-2013, 04:00 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Quote:
Yes there is a prenup.

When you ask me why a man I'm married to needs approval to use his own money. It might be ""his"" but I would equate this to him being marrried and still swinging ""his"" penis to other women. It might be ""his"" but IMO marriage means you are accountable to the other person. So using your logic I guess you allow your husband to use ""his"" penis to have sex with other women? I would think not!
YOU who were going to cheat on him, use this comparison? No, it isn't that kind of arrangement. He is not cheating on you, he is in a business arrangement with siblings and he asked you for help. It has NOTHING to do with ownership of the property, it has everything to do with YOU helping your HUSBAND do his responsibility.

Not only that, but I recall you claiming to be a lawyer; ergo your training should make you more qualified than his sibling or him to handle this as a rental.

Good grief you are self-centered. And there is no wonder why your in-laws call you a gold-digger. It's all about you you you and what's in it for you.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:09 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
But you LIKE spending his money.... Don't you?

He works, you don't.

He asks for help... You don't think you should do anything.

Yea, gold digger is probably appropriate (keeping in mind this is ONE SIDE of the story...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships