Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 07:05 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times

Advertisements

If he asked you before, and didnt ask you this time, seems like he didnt want to, for whatever reason. There could be issues going on with his family. Id graciously back out and do something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 08:01 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
I would think about how last year went, if you had a good time go.
If you are that ambivalent; I would stay home.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:14 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,590,165 times
I have almost the same situation as the OP. I never go to other people's Thanksgiving or Christmas holidays because those are really family affairs and I just would not feel like I belonged although I am sure I would be welcomed and treated well.

I personally like to use these holidays as my special time to just enjoy whatever I want to do. I don't go for a traditional diner. Ive got chicken in the crock pot for diner. I might go down to the restaurant I used to work at at lunch time and chat with some of my ex-coworkers since they are stuck working and I know they won't be busy. I might take myself to a movie or enjoy a book and I will spend some time on-line chatting with friends as they pop in and out on FB. I might even get daring enough to hit one of those Pre-Black Friday sales. I really need a new TV. Mine croaked a few weeks ago and I miss my morning news.

I actually have come to love my peaceful and quiet holidays.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:41 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I wouldn't go.
He didn't really invite.
And "If you want to" sounds like a polite begrudging response.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:54 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
If you're really not sure, just tell him you're still tired and you're going to go lay down. Excuse yourself and go to your room like an hour before the time that you were expecting to leave. If he comes calling for you, then you're invited. If he doesn't, then you're not.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:16 PM

3 posts, read 3,540 times
Whoops, I got caught napping, literally. I saw my error last night, but fell asleep trying to edit my post.
I should have said local Rescue Mission, and that you would meet the best folks in your town. I also should have told you the kitchen to which I referred is not always called a Rescue Mission. Sometimes it's a homeless shelter, a soup kitchen, you name it. Regardless of where it is, they serve the favored meal of the year on Thanksgiving. And they are profoundly appreciative for the people who take time from their own holiday to cook for them.
I just don't feel comfortable with your roommate's lack of enthusiasm or the fact that he was put on the spot by your query. And I keep thinking about the aunt. She could have called if she intended for you to come. If you do go with your roommate this year, remember not to walk in empty-handed. Pick up a couple of good bottles of wine if they are drinkers. Otherwise, a generous bouquet of flowers is always appreciated, or an extravagant dessert from a well-known restaurant. You will feel more comfortable if you bring something lovely, and you may get your own invite next holiday. Let us know what happens.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:15 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Believe it or not, jealousy might have entered the picture. I an assuming your roommate talks very little with his family, also. You add more to the conversation than he does - the aunt chimes in about adopting you - Mr. Stoic may have been a little jealous. In this case, even if they ask where you are, he will probably say nothing to you about it. Ah....human nature.

Old 11-28-2013, 03:53 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,421,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I wouldn't go.
He didn't really invite.
And "If you want to" sounds like a polite begrudging response.
I'm kind of leaning towards this. ^^^

'If you want to' is sort of a 'You weren't specifically expected, but if you want to invite yourself they probably won't mind' type of answer.

Either way, it's going to be a bit awkward when your roommate leaves for the get together.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:10 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
So what happened?

Old 11-28-2013, 06:02 PM

128 posts, read 177,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racheldbfreeny View Post
Since your roommate doesn't share much personal information with you, or even mention an invitation, it is possible that his family is having difficulties of some kind right now (a pending divorce, a teenage child in trouble, an illness?). They may not be in the mood for company if this is the case. I hate to suggest that you eat Thanksgiving dinner alone, it hurts me because I have a family situation like yours, but when it comes time to get ready for dinner tomorrow, if your roommate does not insist you come with, consider heading over to the Greenville Rescue Mission, to the back door, with a few cans of vegetables or a turkey. They will put you right to work serving Greenville's disadvantaged, and you will meet the best folks in Greenville working beside you. It's a blast, it's life changing, and you will never again wonder what to do on a holiday.
This is very good advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships