Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 07:24 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times

Advertisements

I was recently on a tour of Italy, and our guide, a middle aged woman, did a pretty good job, I thought. She was always well organised, knowledgeable, professional, personable although kept a certain distance if you like. I didn't see her lose her cool or snap at anyone. Most seemed to have positive views on her. I mean she definitely did have her flaws, but no one's perfect, and i thought she did her job well and wasn't overly rude or difficult or anything, most people I spoke to had a positive view of her - except the two younger people my age who didn't like her, for lots of reasons, talking to much, apparently having no people skills, they'd also make fun of her etc.

It just got me thinking back in school about how most of the teachers the kids complained about were female ones. Well, okay, there were bad male ones, but it seemed the 'cool teachers' were, interestingly enough, all male. I'd always wondered whether young people have some sort of prejudice against middle aged women, especially those in authority. Granted, some of these teachers they had problems with really did have problems, but if a female teacher was too assertive she was liable to be labelled as bitchy. I'm sure this happens in the work environment too. I also remember my sister complaining about certain female teachers - they were always female.

I'm not gung-ho feminist, and this might just be my experience (you might have contrary ones). I'm not accusing anyone, or saying all people my generation are like this (plenty are not), but do you think there's any truth to what I'm saying? I mean sometimes I get the feeling women are not really respected - or listened to - to the same extent as men are.

Last edited by The Postman; 12-21-2013 at 08:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 07:28 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Many of the younger generation have issues with any middle aged person in a position of authority.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Many of the younger generation have issues with any middle aged person in a position of authority.
Yes that's true, but I tend to notice many will tend to be more respectful of males, or think they're a 'cool dude', yet I don't hear the same with middle aged teachers etc..maybe it's because middle aged women are seen as menopausal, or bitchy or I don't know...

Old 12-21-2013, 08:24 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
maybe it's because middle aged women are seen as menopausal, or bitchy
This. Many of them are menopausal and bitchy. Anyone who has ever worked in an office environment with middle aged women knows this is true.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:29 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Yes to your observation. I also know that young kids generally like younger teachers, and don't want the older ones.

I suspect that younger guys especially see women mainly in a sexual way. If your guide had been hot they would not have cared about any of the stuff they complained about. But an older woman reminds them of mom, or of a teacher, and isn't sexually attractive, so she is criticized.

In my experienced as a middle aged women, we are invisible to men.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Yes to your observation. I also know that young kids generally like younger teachers, and don't want the older ones.

I suspect that younger guys especially see women mainly in a sexual way. If your guide had been hot they would not have cared about any of the stuff they complained about. But an older woman reminds them of mom, or of a teacher, and isn't sexually attractive, so she is criticized.

In my experienced as a middle aged women, we are invisible to men.
Yes, it seems that way. They have nothing to offer them, no reason for them to try to charm them. Unless of course there is, like good grades or whatnot.

Not all men, I hope you realise. There are plenty of men who appreciate what a mature woman can give and her experience/knowledge/opinion. I suppose the old stereotypes of older women being villains or witches (in countless movies, disney films, fairytales the heroine is a young maiden while the villain an older woman, evil aunt, bad mother, stepmother, old witch.etc). The whole association of ugliness with evil and beauty with virtue and innocence seems most pronounced when it comes to the female sex.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:50 AM

I've also noticed middle aged female politicians and celebrities are easy targets. They just seem to receive more than their fair share of criticism from both men and women.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:11 AM

993 posts, read 1,561,689 times
Young person here.

It's not just people in my age range, it's everybody. And I think, like with most things, you can blame the media. Look the average representation of a middle-aged woman on television, and what does she look like? She's typically a nag, a b*tch, a clueless homebody, or a "tiger mom". Those stereotypes leak into real life, and suddenly you have people just assuming that all middle-aged women are like that. So, they're viewed with a negative bias.

Is your username a reference to that Kevin Costner movie, by the way?

Old 12-21-2013, 10:13 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
current young people have a problem with any authority figure.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:20 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
I have witnessed this often.

Right now I am mentoring a professional group in town, and once a month we have to travel to various places throughout the day. It is a mixed group of male and female ranging from young 30s to late 50s. All highly educated business and professional leaders in the community.

There is a large group of 30-ish men in this group who are very fratty and tend to stick together throughout the day. Every time we get on the bus or eat a meal, you are supposed to sit with someone different to get to know them. But these guys will still find a way to get together and ignore the others who aren't like them, especially the older women.

If you MAKE them change up the seating arrangement on the bus, they will turn around and yell down the aisle at their bros like it's a junior high field trip.

They will attempt to talk to the older men, but the older women, a couple of whom are freaking CEOs, have NO relevance to them as evidenced by their actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships