Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 08:20 PM

164 posts, read 266,828 times

Advertisements

My brother is 8 years younger than I am. We never had much of a relationship as my step father (his dad) wasn't and still isn't dad of the year. Mother is same.

He is almost 20 and has never worked, didn't go to prom and never had a gf. I don't speak to him or his dad. My mom is the kind of person who is always asking for money and has never held a job longer than 6 months. She gives up too easy. When she does have money, you don't hear from her.

Recently she told me she sent me a birthday card in the mail, it's been about 2 weeks and I haven't received anything nor have I talked to her since. I didn't expect to receive anything anyway.

My question is when they get older like 60's or 70's, am I going to be obligated to take care of them? I know it sounds harsh, but it just doesn't seem like a fair deal. Everything I have...I earned myself. Even as a child I was physically and verbally abused and had no self-esteem. I was unemployed for about 3 months awhile back and never heard from them as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 08:26 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,677,349 times
Move far away!

Old 12-17-2013, 08:36 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,206,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Move far away!
....and don't tell them where you are!!!

I am serious.

I have been having guilt on the same issue. My mother is a self-serving narcissist that has left a huge trail of damage, and would do it now, if only her children didn't avoid her. My 2 siblings also don't talk to her. To allow her into our lives is just not worth the damage she creates. So who IS going to take care of her, when it comes to that time?

It has taken me years to come to the realization that none of us should have to do it. She gave birth for entirely selfish reasons, and we had horrible childhoods because of her. We owe her nothing - and she would willingly create havoc up until her last breath. Sounds harsh - but I don't want to see her again, and my siblings should not have to, either.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:54 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,085,104 times
Just because you are family doesn't obligate you to have a relationship with anyone.

Once everyone is an adult they should be treated as an adult and their actions (or inactions!) reflect upon them, not you. If they are not planning for their future as elderly people it does not mean you must do so in their place.

You basically have two options:

talk to your mother frankly about what plans has she made for her senior years: life insurance? IRA? savings? funeral pre-planning? updated will?

or

stay out of it.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:29 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,774,445 times
If you are estranged from immediate family members for whatever reason, you do not have an obligation to take care of them.

Of course, I do not know you or your bother, but I think if your mother is that abusive of a person and you don't enjoy being around her as an adult, you should create some distance somehow. Maybe in time, you will then have no relationship, and if that is what you prefer, then so be it. And the same can be said about your brother.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:56 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Success3 View Post

My question is when they get older like 60's or 70's, am I going to be obligated to take care of them? I know it sounds harsh, but it just doesn't seem like a fair deal. Everything I have...I earned myself. Even as a child I was physically and verbally abused and had no self-esteem. I was unemployed for about 3 months awhile back and never heard from them as well.
Are you obligated to take care of them? No.
Do you want to, that is the question?

I don't really think my parents need me to take care of them financially, they are pretty well off. But I think I will offer them a lot of emotional support because I have unconditional love for my parents. Loving them is my second nature. Loving them also makes me happy

In your case, caring for them or not caring for them totally depends on your feelings and heart. You are not obligated.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:24 PM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Looking at some of OP's other postings and his nick - there may be more to the story.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:53 PM

550 posts, read 966,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Just because you are family doesn't obligate you to have a relationship with anyone.

Once everyone is an adult they should be treated as an adult and their actions (or inactions!) reflect upon them, not you. If they are not planning for their future as elderly people it does not mean you must do so in their place.
I have a difficult time accepting this concept. They are family and the only family you have. I would do as much I can to help them out, but try my best not to be taken advantage of...but to be honest, I don't know the whole story...

Old 12-18-2013, 04:41 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,315,455 times
My parents know that I will do all I can for them. Finances will not be a problem, but everyone needs someone to care for them, and I want to be there for them. I love them.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:42 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Success3 View Post

No, Success, you are not obligated to care for them....no more than your brother is...if they had been good to you when you were young, and not "physically and verbally abused" you, you wouldn't be asking this question.
You reap what you sow...and your parents may come to understand that later in life...that's THEIR destiny, not yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships