Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 05:08 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times

Advertisements

I am no spring chicken (69). One answer I can give is "I am old enough that even my birthday suit needs ironing."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 05:10 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
When I was single and on various internet forums, I'd be asked my age a LOT. But in person, much less so. And most are surprised to find how old I am, because I look and act much younger than my age.

Just last week, an elderly Chinese couple in their 70's were shocked to find out that I was 55 years old. They thought me in my 30's. I'm also Chinese, so I was doubly complimented.

Otherwise, my boyfriend of over ten years is 23 years younger than I am. We were internet buddies on a car forum first. He never asked me my age, even when we finally met in person. Then we proceeded to spent most of a summer on two road trips to CA (the first as purely platonic best friends). Even after we crossed over into being a romantic couple, he still never asked me my age. He found out by accident several months into living with me. I knew how old he was because he made a birthday post on the car forum. But in private conversations, our ages never came up. Later on, I found out that he thought me about 32 years old (I was 45 at the time).

No I don't consider myself a cougar. We were best friends before and will always be best friends because we share so many common interests.

I think that a person shouldn't be defined by their chronological age. There are many years where I've ignored my birthday. And in my family, birthday celebrations do not have any mention of the age reached (except the 80th). Once you are 21, you are just an adult. And consequently, there never is any crisis in our family over turning 30, 40 or 50 years of age.

Anyway, I have good friends of both sexes and all ages, and I can fit into any age group's conversations.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:32 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times
It depends who is asking. If it's a guy who is much older and is only buying me dinner because I'm a young hottie then I'm 28. In reality I'm 32. If a person asks at a bar after work when I've had two Gimlets I tell them it's none of their goddamn business.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:47 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
I don't mind divulging my age, but I don't get asked that often.

I'm 55. 56 next month. Yikes.

One of my stock answers is "old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway."

Old 01-09-2014, 06:00 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
I don't make a big deal of it. I'm not ashamed of my age.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:07 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,789 times
Absolutely no one thinks I look older than I am. I am 22 and I always get asked if I am still in high school. Often, when I buy liquor, people tell me I don't even look old enough to drive. I was offered a kid's menu at a restaurant when I was 18. At Philadelphia International Airport, a guy once asked, "how old are you, young lady?" I said 20 and he looked shocked. He said I didn't look older than 12. Sadly I do not know if this was a joke.

All older people tell me that eventually I will think this is a compliment.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:21 PM

2,851 posts, read 4,522,770 times
^^^ i am one of these people too. at my brother's wedding i was 18, i had people telling me i looked 11. it would drive me crazy during my younger years. i'm now over 40 & still occasionally get carded. it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it did when i was a teen. i'm just happy to know i will never look my real age

Old 01-09-2014, 06:45 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Do you ever get offended when someone asks your age? If you don't want to tell them, what do you say? What are some funny sarcastic answers?

By someone I mean random strangers in bars, grocery stores, public events and even acquaintances. (I don't mind telling acquaintances, but random strangers sometimes irritate me.)

Would you continue to associate with someone if they refused to tell you? (I know someone who won't tell me after I told her my age. I don't really care, but I'm curious to get other perspectives.)

I am very lucky(thanks to good genes) that people think I am much younger than I am.

However, I think it is rude when people who are strangers or you have just met ask your age. For me why not ask "how much money do you have in your savings account"...LOL.

I think people who ask you right away how old you are limited when it comes to topics of conversation.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:53 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,214,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Do you ever get offended when someone asks your age? If you don't want to tell them, what do you say? What are some funny sarcastic answers?

By someone I mean random strangers in bars, grocery stores, public events and even acquaintances. (I don't mind telling acquaintances, but random strangers sometimes irritate me.)

Would you continue to associate with someone if they refused to tell you? (I know someone who won't tell me after I told her my age. I don't really care, but I'm curious to get other perspectives.)
Older than dirt's grandparents, how's that?

Old 01-09-2014, 10:47 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
I am a female 35 and I don't mind. My mom even when she was younger hated it. I don't know why. It is just a number. I do wonder why people ask unless it is something they need to know. I would not ask because I know some people are sensitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships