Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 02:56 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,611,853 times

Advertisements

Do you ever get offended when someone asks your age? If you don't want to tell them, what do you say? What are some funny sarcastic answers?

By someone I mean random strangers in bars, grocery stores, public events and even acquaintances. (I don't mind telling acquaintances, but random strangers sometimes irritate me.)

Would you continue to associate with someone if they refused to tell you? (I know someone who won't tell me after I told her my age. I don't really care, but I'm curious to get other perspectives.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 03:11 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
"I'm a lot older than I look," or "a lot younger than I look." Whatever your preference is.

If pressed further simply say, "A gentleman (or a lady) never reveals her age."

It is an old adage.

A variation is: "A lady never reveals her age or weight."

Also, this from Oscar Wilde in A Woman of No Importance, act II (1893): One should never trust a woman who tells one her real age. A woman who would do that would tell anything.

Oliver Goldsmith in She Stoops to Conquer, act III (1773): Oh, sir, I must not tell you my age; they say women and music should never be dated.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:14 PM

147 posts, read 327,801 times
I've started saying "I'm old enough not to answer that question anymore." and then chuckle..that seems to cut them off at the pass.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:16 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
"I'm a lot older than I look," or "a lot younger than I look." Whatever your preference is.

Yep... or a "How old do you think I am?" usually shuts them up.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yep... or a "How old do you think I am?" usually shuts them up.
I actually asked that another woman and they responded with... an age 20 years less than I am. I just let them believe that.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:19 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,604,491 times
I dont mind at all. It is getting closer to being an accomplishent now that I have passed 50.

When I feel like messing with someone I will tell them "I am another day older than I was yesterday" or I will bring them down with "another day closer to my funeral". I have sometimes sometimes said "Twice as old as I was 25 years ago" or similar with the appropriate ages half my life ago. I can also tell them "I am 4 years younger than my wife and if you can get her to tell you hers you will get two for one".

If I am cranky and want to twist their tail I would tell them "I think I am a year younger than you, tell me your age so I can be sure. Darn, i was wrong I am several years older".

Old 01-09-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I dont mind at all. It is getting closer to being an accomplishent now that I have passed 50.

When I feel like messing with someone I will tell them "I am another day older than I was yesterday" or I will bring them down with "another day closer to my funeral". I have sometimes sometimes said "Twice as old as I was 25 years ago" or similar with the appropriate ages half my life ago. I can also tell them "I am 4 years younger than my wife and if you can get her to tell you hers you will get two for one".

If I am cranky and want to twist their tail I would tell them "I think I am a year younger than you, tell me your age so I can be sure. Darn, i was wrong I am several years older".
That one is my favorite

Old 01-09-2014, 03:29 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
I sometimes tell them that I'm old enough to know better, and young enough to do it anyway.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:42 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
love that one, oddstray.

I hate it. I lie. When asked at tractor supply for certain chemicals what my DOB is I tell them birth year 88. I hate showing my license for beer. Why can't they come out with driver license that says over 21?

I am fifty and have less wrinkles than my 41 yo BFF.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
love that one, oddstray.

I hate it. I lie. When asked at tractor supply for certain chemicals what my DOB is I tell them birth year 88. I hate showing my license for beer. Why can't they come out with driver license that says over 21?

I am fifty and have less wrinkles than my 41 yo BFF.
Actually, they did that in the state I lived in and are starting to do it in other states as well. It doesn't say, "Over 21" but you can immediately tell by the background color on the photo and some are coming out with front and profile shots if you are under 18 I believe. Police love those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships