Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How To Tell A Roommate That He Has Bad Breath
Quick and blunt - "Dude, your breath sticks." 18 30.51%
Sweet and kind - "I'm really sorry to say this, and I know this is uncomfortable to talk about, but you have bad breath." 22 37.29%
Say nothing, but passive aggressively leave mints and gum all over the apartment. 11 18.64%
Other 8 13.56%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 12:53 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,239,825 times

Advertisements

I told a friend once that she needed to go to the dentist.

She was horrified but went and found out she had periodontal disease. This is often the cause of bad breath, rather than dirty teeth.

She needed antibiotics and hey presto - bad breath gone.

I have a lawyer at the moment, very well spoken posh young type guy, and when we are done I am going to tell him the same thing.

Go to the effn dentist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 02:06 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,301,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
periodontal disease.
Exactly! The causes of gum disease (via WebMD):

Hormonal changes, such as those occurring during pregnancy, puberty, menopause, and monthly menstruation, make gums more sensitive, which makes it easier for gingivitis to develop.
Illnesses may affect the condition of your gums. This includes diseases such as cancer or HIV that interfere with the immune system. Because diabetes affects the body's ability to use blood sugar, patients with this disease are at higher risk of developing infections, including periodontal disease and cavities.
Medications can affect oral health, because some lessen the flow of saliva, which has a protective effect on teeth and gums. Some drugs, such as the anticonvulsant medication Dilantin and the anti-angina drug Procardia and Adalat, can cause abnormal growth of gum tissue.
Bad habits such as smoking make it harder for gum tissue to repair itself.
Poor oral hygiene habits such as not brushing and flossing on a daily basis, make it easier for gingivitis to develop.
Family history of dental disease can be a contributing factor for the development of gingivitis.

Gum Disease (Gingivitis and Periodontitis) Symptoms, Treatments, Causes

Old 02-27-2014, 07:51 AM

11,105 posts, read 9,750,713 times
OP, please come back and tell us how it goes when you tell him.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:10 AM

728 posts, read 1,899,220 times
Here's what I always say so that it's funny and not too offensive...

"Dang! Yo breath be kickin like Van Dam!"

Old 03-02-2014, 05:24 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,421,804 times
Just imply that it could be a medical condition (it could be) and tell them they should have it checked out.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:44 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,876 times
I work with a young lady who has terrible breath. However, she's aware of it. She makes a point of keeping her distance. She's a person that doesn't brush. I'm not intimate w/ her; therefore, I don't care. However, she has an unsightly piece of bread that has been lodged in the front bottom row of her teeth since time immemorial. I swear by the old gods and the new; I want nothing more than to hold her down and excise that bread from between her teeth!

Old 03-03-2014, 12:10 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,188,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
How should I go about talking to my roommate about his horrible breath?

My theory is that the root of the problem is that he only brushes his teeth once a day.
Be blunt about it. Start calling him "Tic-Tac." When he asks about why you're calling him Tic-Tac, that's the best time to tell him it's because of his nasty breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
I work with a young lady who has terrible breath. However, she's aware of it. She makes a point of keeping her distance. She's a person that doesn't brush. I'm not intimate w/ her; therefore, I don't care. However, she has an unsightly piece of bread that has been lodged in the front bottom row of her teeth since time immemorial. I swear by the old gods and the new; I want nothing more than to hold her down and excise that bread from between her teeth!
Gross! I just a massive urge to gag reading that!

Old 03-03-2014, 12:48 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post

Gross! I just a massive urge to gag reading that!
Exactly!

Old 03-04-2014, 09:45 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,001 times
If I liked the person, I would be honest and kind. I doubt the bad breath has anything to do with tooth brushing, usually it's more of a digestive or sinus problem. Honesty is the best policy!

Old 11-02-2014, 10:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,853 times
****, my roommate's breath is so bad that it literally will stink up the entire apartment. I am sitting 20 feet away from him, and everytime he yawns or says something, I feel as if I need to hold my breath. Once, I actually put my face right next to my panting dog, because the dog's breath was so much better, and about the only thing that will overpower his. I think he has some kind of infection or rotting tooth or something. He still has his wisdom teeth, so I can imagine he has a difficult time getting them clean.

It started about 3 months ago, everyday, but as long as it was shortly after his brushing time, it didn't really spread like it does now. I would passively aggressively offer mints and gum (we used to carpool to class, so being in a car with him was torture). He would never accept, it has progressively gotten worse, so one time after he refused the mint/gum, I just told him, "mint, or no ride home." He tried to refuse, saying he disliked them, acting oblivious to what I had just demanded. So I had to reitterate, "you are going to use these mints, or you are not getting in my car." He finally got it.

Anyway, I tried to talk to him about it on numerous occassions. I have tried doing it nicely, tried to do it humorously, and I have even tried to explain it in a concerned manor, because he has great hygeine. It isn't his hygeine, it has to be something he cannot control, and needs to go to a dentist or EMT for. He drinks coffee and uses tobacco, which I am certIn makes it worse, but not the main culprit; he has been gradually decreasing how much of each he drinks/uses, and the breath is getting worse. It always smells exactly the same, like sour milk or something, and it just gets stronger, so it isn't anything he eats or drinks, or the tobacco/coffee.

He always either ignores me, or tries to tell me, to my face with the horrible breath coming out of his mouth, that he doesn't have bad breath, and I must just be smelling things. Even my significant other has told him that they can also smell it, and he legit does not believe us. I have had him lick the back of his hand, let it dry and smell it... He acts like there is no smell. I feel like I am being a horrible person, because I have slowly been pestering him more and more... But I seriously can no longer breathe in my own home. It has gotten so bad in the last week that I have actually vommitted.

I am seriously worried about whatever is causing this smell. There has to be something legitimately wrong, and it isn't just affecting his life at home. He's a good looking guy, and he can't get any women to stick around because of it, we take some of the same classes, and I am the only person who will sit next to him after the first day. I am also very sensitive to scents, and I have noticed that I am starting to get migraines when I am home with him, which is all the time, because he can't get a date or friends, because of his breath. If he wasn't one of my best friends that I care about, I would make him see a doc or move out, but that isn't an option in this case.
FML
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships