Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 03:47 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,360,802 times

Advertisements

Not bashing his religious beliefs but I feel he uses the verse “God Will Provide” thinking he’ll get free help or services from his Church without anything in return. He also thinks with patience, it’ll come. I said it’s fine to ask his Church for help but don’t use it as a crutch to avoid personal responsibility when something needs to be done like repairs around the house.

I would think anyone who continues asking for free help from a Church would make themself look like a freeloader and probably eventually get turned away depending on the situation.

My friend has poor financial management thanks to his rich father who always financially bailed him out. Now that his elderly father has moved away, he isn’t available to help him much. So, now my friend trying avoid personal responsibility like house repairs that needs to be done by having wishful thinking someone just gonna show up and save the day.

That being said, I do believe God will Provide. However, I do the hard work on my own to make it happen

Old 09-27-2022, 04:03 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Your friend sounds like a loser. Why can't his father help him out financially anymore? Distance shouldn't have anything to do with that. Are you sure he's telling the truth?

Old 09-27-2022, 04:35 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Happy Farm, you could tell your friend that "God helps those who help themselves first".

Friend needs to grow up.

Dad doesn't have to financially help his mooching adult son anymore if he doesn't want to. I'm guessing the dad moved far away because he got tired of bailing out his son and doesn't want to hear from him or listen to his excuses anymore.

Old 09-27-2022, 04:45 PM

18,390 posts, read 19,023,642 times
He won’t change. Don’t let it bother you. Don’t engage in conversations about things that are his personal responsibility. Change the subject. You two approach life differently, you will never see eye to eye. He will always disappoint you. If you value the friendship avoid the subject and talk about your other common interests.

Old 09-27-2022, 05:25 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Oh, is this the same guy you've been talking about for years? Kind of a dreamer/loser type?

Old 09-27-2022, 05:45 PM

11,505 posts, read 6,008,999 times
"The Lord helps those who help themselves," Dr. Benjamin Franklin.

He should pray for help. In the meantime, he should do everything he can to help himself. God will decide how and when He is going to help this man. He doesn't work on our timeline or always say "yes" to our prayers. I respect the man's Faith in the Lord, but he is bording on, "putting the Lord your God to the test".

You just don't do that.

I prayed for God to cure my baby brother's cancer. He died. I did not get a "yes" answer.

Maybe my faith is too weak. Maybe God just had a better answer to my prayer and I am not capable of yet understanding that. I man, I was all in and already thanking God for saving my brothers life. I was all in from the mustard seed to the entire mountain with faith. I was certain God would put my brother's cancer in remission. I wasn't even praying for my brother to be cured and live to 80 or some such, but just for another 2 years to really appreciate all that he had in life with a new outlook and to glorify God's miraculous and unexplainable cure.

I got a "no".

You don't test God. He doesn't always grant your prayer request. The young man needs to start off by doing everything he can personally do to help himself, and keep praying for God's help if and when he gets it.

This man reminds me of the parable/joke about the man on his roof in rapidly rising floodwater praying for God to save him, with the punch line "I sent you a canoe, a motor boat, and a helicopter. What more did you expect?"

At some point you have to get off the roof and climb into the boat.

Old 09-27-2022, 06:16 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,402,586 times
This makes me think of my brother and his wife. They both had good jobs, no expensive hobbies, never sent their kids to college. They're now retired and living with relatives because they're broke. I think they gave all their money to their church.

Old 09-27-2022, 06:19 PM

1,400 posts, read 766,854 times
Pray towards Heaven, row toward shore.

Old 09-27-2022, 06:45 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
That being said, I do believe God will Provide. However, I do the hard work on my own to make it happen
Sort of like:
  1. G-d helps those that help themselves; or
  2. In G-d we trust. All others pay cash?

Old 09-27-2022, 06:47 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Your friend sounds like a loser. Why can't his father help him out financially anymore? Distance shouldn't have anything to do with that. Are you sure he's telling the truth?
Reminds me of Bonfire of the Vanities, where the father, the "Lord of Dunning Spunget", a successful lawyer, offered his son advice, not cash when he got into the bind. Anything more needs a spoiler alert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships