Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 02:59 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,273,295 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine recommended a tattoo artist because I was looking to get a small tattoo to cover a small birthmark that I have. It isn't even a huge deal but I had been wanting a tattoo and the birthmark(a very small discolored spot) seemed like a great spot to place a tattoo. I did research on designs, things I should be aware of etc. then I brought my idea to this recommended artist he flat out told me it was not a good idea and explained why. I understood his reasons and was put off and then we consulted and came up with a very detailed design to convey what I was intending. I scheduled the appointment two weeks out to continue researching his portfolio, etc. he seemed like a great tattoo artist and got great reviews from others. But after a week or so I realized that I wanted to tweak the design a bit to something simple and not as elaborate, especially since it was my first tattoo...

He had initially quoted me a decent price for what I thought would be a 2.5x3 inch tattoo that would have black and grey color. When I asked to tweak it I wasnt thinking about price, I just wanted something simple but he immediately began to imply I was trying to tweak it or make it smaller because of price, etc. anyway I let it go but maintained that I wanted something simple and small. I showed him pics and he rejected each one and said he would custom design something by the time I came in for the appointment. So I came in for the appointment yesterday and he showed me what he came up with and I did not like it.

He was very offended. I then once again told him what I wanted and what I was going for and he kept rejecting my ideas and/or telling me that it wouldn't like right. He then stenciled a few ideas. One idea I really liked and so he drew it on me so I could see how it would look and when I saw it, it was at least 40 percent bigger than what I wanted. I'm talking me wanting a design that would cover 10% (at the most) of my back and his took up almost half of it! I told him that I did not want it that large that essentially the tattoo was just a birthmark cover up and that was it. He kept telling me that I should do it larger because it would look better and flow better but when I looked at what he stenciled in terms of the size I really did not like it. I maintained that I really just wanted something smaller. And he just got an attitude with me, etc.

In the end I rescheduled but I'm now going in another direction. This was my first experience like this and it was a bit surprising to me. For one I realized the high price he charged me for a small 2.5x3 inch tattoo was really for a tattoo that was more like 10x5 and I suppose he wanted to keep it at that price. I also know from his clients that all of them had large pieces done by him do maybe that is what he is good at and normally does. I don't think he was a bad artist and I took some of what he said at heart but ultimately we had different visions.

However due to this experience I'm wondering how difficult is it to find a tattoo artist that is willing to do a design exactly as you want-size,color, placement everything? And besides being firm and bringing a picture how can I articulate that I don't want them to do anything beyond what I want? I've had friends that have horror stories from tattoo people deciding to do what they want or add extra details that they did not want... I know obviously the best idea is to visit different tattoo studios and ask around but I'm wondering if its normal for tattoo artists to not do what you want or to only want to do their own ideas?
What are you guys experiences?
I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 03:29 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
I have zero experience, but good sound advice: DON'T DO IT!!

It would be far better, and less "I hate it" risk, to spend your money on a dermatologist who will remove your birthmark.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:37 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
Just keep looking until you find someone who will do what you want. You evidently ran into a prima donna who did not believe the customer is always right. Tattooists are creative, artsy type people with their own definite ideas. However, they also have to be able to keep the customer happy. The guy you went to wasn't willing to do that.

Be very clear next time as you shop for a tattooist. Tell him or her exactly what happened at the last shop without naming names or places. Spell out exactly what you want as far as size, color, design, price, etc.

You did good by not being pressured into getting something done that was not your intent. Do that as often as necessary until your find the right shop for you.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:45 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post

It would be far better, and less "I hate it" risk, to spend your money on a dermatologist who will remove your birthmark.
This right here - not to mention the fact that a change in a birthmark is indicative of a medical problem, so I can't imagine that voluntarily injecting ink in it and covering it up would be a good idea.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:01 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
I don't have any tattoos but I would be very shocked by that kind of attitude. I was a little freaked out about the rate of infection with ear piercings so I wanted to take our daughter to a "professional" and we drove to North Raleigh. I was very put off by the guy's attitude. He wasn't really nasty, per se, but just had this "holier than thou" attitude about everything. We ended up leaving and taking her someone else to get her ears pierced. I've heard they do well, but enough to alienate potential customers?

You are smart to ask questions and walk away when you don't like what you hear. Keep looking until you find someone you are comfortable with doing your design.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:02 PM

254 posts, read 406,140 times
Yeah, its pretty common. That doesn't mean you have to go along with it, tho

Old 04-10-2014, 05:03 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
This right here - not to mention the fact that a change in a birthmark is indicative of a medical problem, so I can't imagine that voluntarily injecting ink in it and covering it up would be a good idea.
I would also check with a dermatologist first. Our son had a birthmark that needed to removed due to possible cancer related changes. If it had been covered by a tattoo we would not have seen the slight change in appearance.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:22 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post

The OP didn't ask if she should get the tattoo. She asked about tattoo artists. Your personal opinion regarding tattoos, therefore, has no place in this thread.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:07 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
I would go elsewhere just for the fact that he didn't seem to be really listening to what you wanted, but I do kid of see where he might be reluctant to do a piece of work if he didn't feel was up to his usual style or standards. After all it would be his name on your lips if people ask about who did the tattoo.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:21 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
The OP didn't ask if she should get the tattoo. She asked about tattoo artists. Your personal opinion regarding tattoos, therefore, has no place in this thread.
It was just a suggestion she consider other options- rather than other "artists."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships