Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 07:38 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,024,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
No, we don't talk like that in Jersey at least anyone over 16 doesn't...Valley Girls originated in California that's why I'm guessing California

About 30 years ago. Things change. Those people would be in their 50s now.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 07:42 AM

13,410 posts, read 28,757,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
They had to be teens and that's about the time the Valley Girls movie came out. I live in NJ and do not hear adult women talking like this.
Accents on Real Housewives and Jersey Shore are so exaggerated, real people don't speak like that here.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:43 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,907,927 times
Quote:
They had to be teens and that's about the time the Valley Girls movie came out. I live in NJ and do not hear adult women talking like this.
Accents on Real Housewives and Jersey Shore are so exaggerated, real people don't speak like that here.
Completely different from NY/NJ accent.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:45 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,024,941 times
Quote:

Gee, really? Exaggerated? I'm shocked.

You wouldn't here adult women talk like that anywhere, really.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:48 AM

13,410 posts, read 28,757,053 times
Quote:
Gee, really? Exaggerated? I'm shocked.

You wouldn't here adult women talk like that anywhere, really.
hey, you never know

Old 04-25-2014, 07:56 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,382,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post

Yeah, UGH! I live near a college area and I often hear older women talking in variations like this also.
I guess the difference came when I travelled abroad for business recently and witnessed people actually expressing themselves well and these were not even native English speakers.
It really shouldn't be surprising if you live in a college area where it's probably more common amongst younger women. It's not that they, or the older women are lacking in intellect or the ability to eloquently express themselves.

If you took those same women and immersed them in the abroad cultures, they would begin to affect the same voice and speech mannerisms.

It's what our brains subconsciously do around strangers and in cultural groups we find ourselves spending time in. Adapting speech styles is a way to 'fit in' and be accepted by the 'pack,' so if you have a group of popular valley speaking girls, their speech style spreads to other young women around them, who go out into wider social circles where older women are exposed to it and begin to adapt and pick up traces of the same style.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:03 AM

2,022 posts, read 3,202,395 times
Quote:
This ... San Fernando Valley in southern California, 1980s. Hope I don't talk like that any more ...

Old 04-25-2014, 08:38 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,277,663 times
My biggest pet peeve is the word is "Like" being in every sentence!

My step daughter is constantly saying, "Like" and it gets so bad that we can't even follow her conversation because all we hear is Like, Like, Like!!!!

She's breaking the habit but it's been a slow process...probably because all her friends say it too!

Old 04-25-2014, 08:57 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,841,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
It's called "upspeak." The technical term seems to be "high rising terminal." High rising terminal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What is Upspeak? - YouTube

Or you may be hearing "vocal fry." Vocal fry register - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Vocal Fry Epidemic - YouTube

There's a woman I only know through talking to her on the phone? It's a business thing? And she ends every sentence? Sometimes every clause? Or phrase? As if she's asking a question? DRIVES ME NUTS. PERIOD. FULL STOP.
Vocal fry is more like when someone is talking and they finish a sentence with a lower tone of voice and fade out at the last word. That is REALLY annoying. Stoner talk.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:08 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,216,728 times
This cracks me up every time I see it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships