Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 10:23 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times

Advertisements

Just avoid him. Life is too short. If he's ill he will keep doing it. If he's not ill, he's a no good you know what. Either way....things can never be the same again. It's over.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 06-04-2014 at 11:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 12:20 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
The old dude is 80 and he has been waiting 30 years and he just couldn't take it anymore. I say let it go and just keep your distance.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:03 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
The best time would have been right then but that's passed.
I understand the friends/ neighbors thing makes it more difficult if it's a relationship you'd like to continue.
Maybe, in these later years his wife has stopped having sex with him, making his life different.

I'd act as though it didn't happen and if it does , tell him that it just isn't going to happen and if he tries again, you will tell his wife and being neighbors will become very uncomfortable.

If it is an aging mental problem, she should know and if he's just getting too horny, he should give it up and you might be able to continue being friendly.....at the least, neighborly.
Of course, it depends on how you handled it the first time as to whether or not he makes another attempt.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:00 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
I have two words for you: Donald Sterling.

It's right that you changed your locks.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:59 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Sorry this happened to you.

Unfortunately, typical behavior from someone suffering from dementia. Just avoid ever being alone with him again.
That's my plan.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The best time would have been right then but that's passed.
I understand the friends/ neighbors thing makes it more difficult if it's a relationship you'd like to continue.
Maybe, in these later years his wife has stopped having sex with him, making his life different.

I'd act as though it didn't happen and if it does , tell him that it just isn't going to happen and if he tries again, you will tell his wife and being neighbors will become very uncomfortable.

If it is an aging mental problem, she should know and if he's just getting too horny, he should give it up and you might be able to continue being friendly.....at the least, neighborly.
Of course, it depends on how you handled it the first time as to whether or not he makes another attempt.
I think the same as you about the wife.
We went out as couples together and looked out for them . Plowing, etc.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I have two words for you: Donald Sterling.

It's right that you changed your locks.
I was petrified I would come home and he'd be inside.
Not a good feeling.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:18 AM

29 posts, read 41,392 times
You've known him for decades (?) and this is the first time he's ever been inappropriate? Given his age, I'd also think it's something to do with a declining cognitive state. That or perhaps medication. I know at least one SSRI can cause "lack of judgement" and loss of the ability to inhibit oneself. The person might know what they're doing but simply not care (personal experience with someone I know; thankfully it was figured out--because it was so out of character--and medication slowly tapered off. And, this was someone half that old guy's age!).

My uncle (mom's brother) had some sudden, weird cognitive decline in his early 70s, and out-of-the-blue one visit (the couples visited each other about every 5-6 weeks) slugged my 70-yr-old dad (a brother-in-law this man had known literally ALL his life). No provocation or anything. Uncle just snapped as my dad walked into the house. Thankfully my dad knew better than to escalate it further, and after my mom gave her brother a good talking-to, my parents left. They resumed visits as if nothing happened--and nothing further ever did--after a few months. It wasn't long, though, before my aunt had to put uncle into a veteran's home.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:29 AM

850 posts, read 1,026,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
The husband of one of my good friends had dementia and started chasing their cleaning lady around the house when the wife was gone or outside. She didn't want to tell the wife and decided to quit instead.
You're good friends with Maria Shriver too? Have we met at their Sun Valley place? <= terminator shades

Last edited by jayway; 06-05-2014 at 06:51 AM..

Old 06-05-2014, 06:47 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
This happens with the elderly sometimes. He more than likely is suffering from dementia. The best advice you have is to speak to his family members. You can feel them out about his mental condition without mentioning this incident. Then, if he is having problems, you can tell them what happened. Also, if it turns out his mental health is declining, he will not understand if you stop being friendly because he won't remember the incident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships