Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 08:18 AM

56 posts, read 52,403 times

Advertisements

She frequently talks about ending her miserable life.
­­
My sister wen­­t to a women’s college for 4 years and now she is 22 years old and has never had a boyfriend before. She has been suffering from depression and talking of stop living since there is no point to her lonely and loveless life. She cries almost every night and talks of very pressing things like she was cursed to be born so ugly and curse to have gone to a women’s college.

I work full-time and even though I tried my best sometimes I can’t be patient with her. She finds me very cruel and heartless. And I find myself not doing the best I can in being a sister. What can I do? She said the only way she can stop being depressed and miserable if she has a boyfriend – but how can she find a boyfriend if she keeps being like this? Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 08:26 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,961,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtradercu View Post
She frequently talks about ending her miserable life.
My sister wen**t to a women’s college for 4 years and now she is 22 years old and has never had a boyfriend before. She has been suffering from depression and talking of stop living since there is no point to her lonely and loveless life. She cries almost every night and talks of very pressing things like she was cursed to be born so ugly and curse to have gone to a women’s college.

I work full-time and even though I tried my best sometimes I can’t be patient with her. She finds me very cruel and heartless. And I find myself not doing the best I can in being a sister. What can I do? She said the only way she can stop being depressed and miserable if she has a boyfriend – but how can she find a boyfriend if she keeps being like this? Please help.
A boyfriend is not the solution, therapy is. TODAY!!!

Old 06-26-2014, 08:45 AM

5,209 posts, read 4,675,356 times
I would recommend she go see a psychiatrist. I know some people don't believe in drugs but in her case, she will probably need them just to reach a moderate level of functionality without feeling like she has to end her life. Right now she sounds like a danger to herself.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:27 AM

56 posts, read 52,403 times
I asked her to let me take her to counseling, see a psychiatrist but she said there is no point as she doessn't want a stranger to see something intimate inside of her and it is not going to help anything since she is still feeling lonely and unwanted.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:01 AM

943 posts, read 1,004,792 times
You seem really frustrated by this relationship with your sister. You seem to have an arraignment where she spills out her deepest darkest fears and heartbreak and you try to help her out of it.
Please try to put your foot down, she doesn't know what she's putting you through with her talk of suicide, and her self deprecating point of view, only you know what its taking from you. She really needs desperately needs a professional to help her, if she continues to use your time and energy to unload without doing anything about it like getting real help then you may have to just take her yourself to an ER or Clinic and sign her up for help yourself.
If you aren't able to do this, then maybe tell her that you love her very much and want the best for her, but this kind of talk is draining you and you don't have the energy for it...suggest getting professional help and postpone talking about it any more. Keep putting it off until she does something about it.
I don't think you should take suicidal talk lightly, and as a matter of fact it can be dangerous to ignore it. At least taking her somewhere gets it all out in the open. If she realizes that shes' just using your sympathetic ear and not serious about suicide then that will be a wake up call.
If she realizes that she needed help and you took her, then it may be the best thing you could ever do.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:04 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
What is her living situation?

Old 06-26-2014, 10:08 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,450,321 times
She does not need a BF to be happy. What she needs, is a change of attitude - towards EVERYTHING!

If she does not want therapy. Encourage her to write a journal. That definitely helps me release ALL my emotions!

What I do is write whatever I feel, read it, then throw it away. Maybe in her case burn it. I know some therapists does that. Supposedly it makes you fel you are burning away your negative energy.

What is adding to her problem is, she does not seem to have a way to release what she is truly feeling.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:19 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,209,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtradercu View Post
I asked her to let me take her to counseling, see a psychiatrist but she said there is no point as she doessn't want a stranger to see something intimate inside of her and it is not going to help anything since she is still feeling lonely and unwanted.
So basically she is just whining and wants attention.

You need to be straight with her.

First, explain that she needs to learn how to get her self-esteem from within, not from men. She'll never be happy with a man if she isn't happy with herself. A counselor can give her the tools she needs to become a self-possessed, independent, emotionally healthy woman.

Second, explain that it is not fair of her to put the responsibility for her happiness on someone else's shoulders. She is expecting a man to come into her life and make her happy. It doesn't work that way. If you're her older sibling and have experience in relationships, this is something you should know and feel comfortable telling her. Likewise, it is not the women's college that is responsible for her lack of a love life. She is responsible for that. Only her.

Third, tell her that if she is not going to take action to work on herself, there is not much you can do. You'll be supportive if she gets the help she needs, but if she is going to persist in being her own worst enemy, you're not going to indulge the whine-fest.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:36 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,732,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foclampt View Post
You seem really frustrated by this relationship with your sister. You seem to have an arraignment where she spills out her deepest darkest fears and heartbreak and you try to help her out of it.
Please try to put your foot down, she doesn't know what she's putting you through with her talk of suicide, and her self deprecating point of view, only you know what its taking from you. She really needs desperately needs a professional to help her, if she continues to use your time and energy to unload without doing anything about it like getting real help then you may have to just take her yourself to an ER or Clinic and sign her up for help yourself.
If you aren't able to do this, then maybe tell her that you love her very much and want the best for her, but this kind of talk is draining you and you don't have the energy for it...suggest getting professional help and postpone talking about it any more. Keep putting it off until she does something about it.
I don't think you should take suicidal talk lightly, and as a matter of fact it can be dangerous to ignore it. At least taking her somewhere gets it all out in the open. If she realizes that shes' just using your sympathetic ear and not serious about suicide then that will be a wake up call.
If she realizes that she needed help and you took her, then it may be the best thing you could ever do.
Yes, misery loves company. This is manipulative, not depressive behavior.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:48 AM

639 posts, read 679,068 times
Quote:
A boyfriend is not the solution, therapy is. TODAY!!!
I agree.. she just need a good friend so just try to be friend with her and try to make her happy and don't let her feel that she is alone..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships