Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 02:02 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,564 times

Advertisements

I've been watching for over eight weeks how more people are affirming that we are in (or if not, heading into) an economic crisis. But I've also seen how for over eight years, America, from the heartland to the dixieland to both coasts, has allowed itself to go into a state of gluttony, materialism, vapidness, arrogance, and a me-me-me mentality. I see it everyday from the rich who are becoming richer without any additional legit work or contribution, to the working class who spends way beyond their means with crap they don't need, to the poor who are literally getting handouts by the dozens. This has especially hit home with me as I'm going to a college that has an excessive amount of materialistic and egocentric kids who become yuppies that live off of their parents', all while having the most undeserved boasted view of themselves. I'm not wishing this for everyone, but seeing how most of America is, even many of you have to admit that we need a good kick in the balls (or several of them) in order to return this country from the mentality of greed, vapidness, egotism, self-conceitedness, collectivism, favoritism, materialism, and so forth. And if a Second Great or Grave Depression is what it takes for the 2000s America to get its head out of its a**, then so be it! As for me, there's nothing much else that I can lose that the America of the 2000s have already taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 02:10 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
You're young, and the view of this country you've been exposed to is very limited. Hoping for a depression is an obvious indicator that you don't really know what it means to be in one.

If you had the life experience of someone twice your age, you wouldn't feel the same way.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:31 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You're young, and the view of this country you've been exposed to is very limited. Hoping for a depression is an obvious indicator that you don't really know what it means to be in one.

If you had the life experience of someone twice your age, you wouldn't feel the same way.
But all his talking points are right on, it is only the suggested method to bring the unbridled greed in this country in check that is unacceptable.

The demand for undeserved entitlement of the masses is simply amazing, how did their heads and thought process get so screwed up?

Last edited by Asheville Native; 10-08-2008 at 03:09 PM..

Old 10-08-2008, 03:20 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,452,897 times
He is young, but he's right on.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:28 PM

190 posts, read 443,600 times
I don't want a depression, but how else is this downward spiral of our culture going to end? US citizens have consumed themselves into a depression.

I also agree that he's spot-on.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:39 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I've been watching for over eight weeks how more people are affirming that we are in (or if not, heading into) an economic crisis. But I've also seen how for over eight years, America, from the heartland to the dixieland to both coasts, has allowed itself to go into a state of gluttony, materialism, vapidness, arrogance, and a me-me-me mentality. I see it everyday from the rich who are becoming richer without any additional legit work or contribution, to the working class who spends way beyond their means with crap they don't need, to the poor who are literally getting handouts by the dozens. This has especially hit home with me as I'm going to a college that has an excessive amount of materialistic and egocentric kids who become yuppies that live off of their parents', all while having the most undeserved boasted view of themselves. I'm not wishing this for everyone, but seeing how most of America is, even many of you have to admit that we need a good kick in the balls (or several of them) in order to return this country from the mentality of greed, vapidness, egotism, self-conceitedness, collectivism, favoritism, materialism, and so forth. And if a Second Great or Grave Depression is what it takes for the 2000s America to get its head out of its a**, then so be it! As for me, there's nothing much else that I can lose that the America of the 2000s have already taken.
Don't worry, you won't have to wait but a few more years before there's some serious Attitude Adjustment in the US.

They have maybe 2-3 years to put themselves on the right path, and if they fail, it will be dictated to them and they won't like it. You won't want to be anywhere near the US. It'll be like a day-care with 300 Million whiny crying 2 year olds.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:39 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,732,114 times
Quote:
As for me, there's nothing much else that I can lose that the America of the 2000s have already taken.

I agree also, with your basic points. I also dont have much to lose. At least on first glance. Dig a bit deeper, and I still like the idea that I can go to McD's and get a $.49 burger on Mondays and Wednesdays. I like sitting in front of my computer and reading the diverse viewpoints from my fellow americans here on CD forums....A great depression, or worse, would wipe away even the simplest of little "pleasures" that many of us take for granted. Just something you should keep in mind, sometimes you get what you wish for.
I'm one of those that believes that a change of some sort is on it's way, and it's likely coming sooner than later. I pray that the change can be accomplished, in a controlled, and peaceful manner, without chaos. But I'm also realistic, people naturally resist, and fear anything that takes them out of their "comfort zone". It also seems this is becoming a worldwide problem, that is likely to effect "rich" and "poor" alike. You cannot possibly wish ill for one group, without at least equally effecting all others. The worse the economic situation becomes, the more likely some bad things may happen...Instead of wishing for a grave depression, I at least will be praying for a smooth, calm transition to wherever we are headed. But given human nature........

Old 10-08-2008, 06:46 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,452,897 times
Quote:
I also think maybe a good war would help cull the population.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:49 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,411,391 times
I have felt for some time that we are long overdue for a "reset" on many levels. Things have gone too far, too fast and I have felt like there is nowhere else to go but back, to some extent.

I feel on a lot of levels we're like one of those manual typewriters. But it "ding'ed" a long time ago and we're typing letters on top of one another making no progress. I feel like the universe has its hand on the "carriage return"; we're about to get a slap on the a$$ sending us back to a more basic lifestyle.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:31 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
While the criticisms of the American population have merit, I question the source of the problem. What if it's induced? What if we've been manipulated to be fat, lazy, non-thinkers with short attention spans? Isn't that kind of population the best kind to control, the easiest to move in directions against its own interests?

The problem as I see it isn't that we are this way, but that we don't wake up to why and take charge to change it. I don't wish for a Depression, god knows we'll end up killing each other over the slightest things and not learn anything in the process. We can have the same standard of living with a more evenly distributed "wealth" if we had a mind to it. The system we allowed to have been built around us is a fictitious dreamworld of unreal expectations and distorted values. With television, media, Hollywood movies, advertising, and all kinds of electronic mind control bombarding us, our individual and collective wills have been compromised. A call for a Depression would awaken some, but it is not a worthy objective. It will thin out the herd, making the remaining population even more controllable.

Money will collapse and then we'll ask "What has value?, What is of value?" and we will turn to the truest thoughts in our heads which will answer "Our bodies, our food, our families, our land, our air, our water...". The illusions of profit, fame, getting ahead, materialism, and luxury will fade as we realize their intrinsic imbalance and unsustainability. Hopefully, we will rejoice at the glow of the stars at night, the change of the seasons, of Mother Nature, and the love that binds us together as one. Simplicity will rule the day and the answers will come from within ourselves like magic as the real multidimensional world around us becomes clearer. Nations and borders will melt and a reunion of spirit inside mankind will be manifested.

Of course, those who don't want this can simply recreate what fell apart and hope it works again but then they'd be missing the point. Been there, done that. Time for something completely different. Are you up to the challenge and will you inform others of the possibilities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies