Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 09:58 AM

173 posts, read 256,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually i think you got exactly what you were looking for, discord, so that you could show off how smart you think you are. but it backfired on you because you are up against people that have a lot more life experience than you do, so now your are frustrated by that because you are starting to realize that you are not as smart as you thought.
Yeah right, why would I think the general public thinks I'm smart if I already know most of the general public disagrees with me? That would be a little bit illogical.

I think you want to come in here and feel smart yourself by condescendingly telling me how to think and live my life, because you know better, when I have made it clear that I am happy as I am and have realistic expectations (i.e. that my high standards will not be met), and am not interested in unwarranted advice, only friends who share my opinions.

And it is clear how very condescending you are, Mr. Smarter than Me, in your comment "you are up against people that have a lot more life experience than you do"

"so now your are frustrated by that because you are starting to realize that you are not as smart as you thought." Uhhh, more like I am frustrated because you are all responding saying the same thing even though I already said I knew you were going to say it and asked you not to bother.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-16-2014 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: Off topic, rude comments deleted.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:36 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersavina View Post
Well you are probably friends because you avoid topics you disagree on. When I see friends on my Facebook (well, before I deleted it) post ridiculous things like asking everyone to pray to Jesus for them when they have a cold, or some hateful stuff about illegal immigrants, Tea Party posts, etc. it's pretty annoying. Not sure how you get around that other than just not talking about it.
Well yes, extreme views are troubling, and if someone holds an extreme enough view, you might not be able to be friends.

But some of your views are extreme also, like your apparent support of the ChildFree philosophy, a philosophy which is evil and repugnant in my opinion.

There is very little Tea Party support here in the San Franciscso Bay Area. I think in most major cosmopolitan areas, you are going to find more moderate people. But if you really want someone to agree with every single viewpoint you have, it will be difficult to maintain friendships. You need to tolerate some disagreement.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:57 AM

7,681 posts, read 5,530,949 times
Quote:
In what will probably be another sad attempt at finding someone congruent, I will list my strongest convictions. If you think the same way, hit me back.
Would a "friend wanted" ad be more appropriate than starting a thread on a discussion forum?

Old 06-23-2014, 11:17 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,034,344 times
Quote:
blah bla blah >>.snip<<<
Two disclaimers, though: 1) I know that attempts such as this are most likely futile, because I am so different. 2) I prefer to be alone than with people who I don't see eye to eye with.

My hopes for this thread was that people would read those disclaimers, and not bother with giving me the predictable "advice". I hoped maybe one or two people would read the first post and excitedly see someone who actually thinks like them, and get in touch with me.
re 2: then what's the problem? This is exactly what you will get and your preferences will be gratified.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:37 AM

If you read the opening post, you'll see that the OP never asked for advice. She simply wanted those who agreed with her world view to respond to see if they might be potential friends.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so posting on an internet forum, and not expect advice? really?
Exactly, which was why I posted in this thread "Would a 'friend wanted' ad be more appropriate than starting a thread on a discussion forum?"

Old 06-23-2014, 12:50 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Savina, I agree with most of your original 8 points (well around 6 anyway) But I wouldn't want to be your friend. I wouldn't want a friend who is my mental and emotional twin. I don't want a friend who wants only to be my friend if I agree and therefor constantly validate her narrow worldview. I want friends whose viewpoints I can strive to understand. I want friends who challenge me to think and care and look outside myself. I can respect others opinions, even when they are diametrically opposed to mine. I want open-minded friends who can listen to my politely stated opinions when they are requested. Like you, I don't respect the opinions of ignorance and hatred and would definitely not be friends with someone like that. But I also would not want to be friends with someone arrogant and who thinks they know it all at 22. You will learn lessons whether you think you need to or not. I hope you can open your heart and mind and accept people as they are, rather than looking for someone to simply nod their head in agreement with you. When I was 16, I used to spout off my smug little self-righteous mouth whenever I disagreed with something someone said. As I have grown as a person, I have learned it is sometimes better to remain silent and keep my own counsel on many matters. Sometimes by being more open-minded we can see that certain other viewpoints are equally valid to those that possess them. Good luck to you in your search for a friend who neither teaches you anything or exposes you to any ideas opposed to your own.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:51 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Thanks.. yeah, I must agree, I am pretty carrying...
See, this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. This person said something really kind to you, trying to be understanding, and you don't even say thank you. You just throw his typo in his face. I think perhaps it's your lack of good manners that is standing in the way of your having a fulfilling social life.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:55 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
See, this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. This person said something really kind to you, trying to be understanding, and you don't even say thank you. You just throw his typo in his face. I think perhaps it's your lack of good manners that is standing in the way of your having a fulfilling social life.
I saw that too... complete D bag thing to do, make fun of someone like that, especially after he had kind words to her.

I couldn't help but do this

Old 06-23-2014, 04:04 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
I would be optimistic in that possibility, I'd love to be, but so many times I've tried this in the past, even met people in person who seemed viable, but it was all a waste of time. Current experiences, current expectations, are built in prior experiences.

If there is someone who shares my world view, reply, but if you don't like over 99% of the human population, please do not bother responding!!!

If there does exist someone on planet Earth who thinks as I do, I'm 100% certain they too would share my pessimistic thoughts. Pessimism is the only way we can avoid crushed expectations. We think far ahead of our time. The world is a darned crappy place to live in, in 2014.
You are being so dramatic. Google meet up group for "agnostic group" and your city. Go to a meet up.

When you're at the meet up, see if anyone of them is a vegan who supports gay marriage. Done. There are your potential friends.

That will take work. It's much easier to come online and complain. Again, we create our reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships