Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 02:35 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times

Advertisements

I was catching up with an old high school acquaintance over the weekend. He was the last person anyone would have expected to be gay (redneck, rebel flag waving, dipped, etc), but came out of the closet after college when he moved to California. He is getting married later in the year.

He said his coming out was a major ordeal and that he's no longer on speaking terms with one of his brothers because of it. His family is very traditional and homosexuality is not to be tolerated.

When told this, I remembered one of my best friends coming out to me a few years ago. His mother is pretty liberal and accepting. His dad never fully come around to it, but they weren't extremely close to begin with. There were always rumors about his homosexuality and it was very anticlimactic when he came out. Everyone who knew him pretty much already knew.

If you or someone close to you came out, was it a big deal and your life disrupted, or was it kind of a nonevent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 02:41 PM

159 posts, read 292,308 times
I know of a couple of people who came out. It was kind of a nonevent for me.
But I know people who can make it into a huge deal... IMO that's unneccesary.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:11 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
For some of them, it was a huge traumatic event, mainly because of family members who shut them out.

For some of them, it turned out to be a huge non-event that they stressed over for nothing.

A friend of mine invited me out to dinner one night, and I could tell he was nervous about something. He tried to casually slip into conversation that he's gay and in a relationship with a guy. Convo went something like:

Him: So I think I may bring this guy I've been seeing to your party this weekend.
Me: Okay.
Him: Did you hear what I said?
Me: Yep.
Him: Did you hear me say that I've been seeing a guy?
Me: Uh huh. Are you going to finish that spicy tuna roll?
Him: That means I'm gay
Me: Uh huh.
Him: Aren't you going to react?
Me: Why would I? It doesn't define you. It doesn't change you or our friendship. So you're gay. All I care is that you're happy.
Him: Oh. Not what I was expecting.

I'm not sure why he expected a bigger reaction. It's no secret that I'm pretty accepting. I guess he assumed that everyone has a big reaction, one way or another. But there was nothing to react to. Nothing changed. Other than the fact that I had to remember to fix him up with my guy friends instead of my girl friends. ;-)

Old 07-07-2014, 03:33 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Of all of the LGBT friends I have had over the years, only one has felt the need to come out to me.... Because I pretty much knew from the time we started working together, it was a non-event

Old 07-07-2014, 04:12 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Non - event, and I am widely considered a rude, arrogant, sarcastic a-hole.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:20 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Hah. My best buddy is gay. He was out for years to pretty much everyone but family, but came out to his mother one year at Thanksgiving, just as she was removing the turkey from the oven and his boyfriend was pulling up out front with a casserole for dinner. It was kind of spectacular.

My mother was so excited when she found out that one of my closest friends was a gay man - I'm her not-good-at-being-a-girl only child, and she is the girliest of girly girls. She thought he would civilize me. I had to break it to her gently that we went truck shopping together, went on hikes and occasionally grabbed a steak dinner at our favorite pub. He did, however, agree with her on the idea that I should paint an accent wall in the condo I was renting.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:23 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
If anyone i knew came out to me, i would not be shocked because i already know it. (gaydar).

i've never felt mad or sad about anyone telling me such a private thing like that. Most of the people i know just dont feel they are anything than being gay is a regular part of their life. No need to come out, they are just out all the time naturally.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:11 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
I had a friend come out as lesbian a few weeks ago. Other than a lot of support on FB, really not that big a deal.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:52 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Non-events.
No surprises there... it was apparent every single time.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:47 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Complete non-event. I'm straight, but I have more gay and bi friends than I do straight friends. It'd be no more momentous than "I bought a new CD today."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships