Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 03:42 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times

Advertisements

I've had situations where I've had to work with someone and we just were straight up not compatible human beings. Everything about her would get on my nerves and everything about me would make her uncomfortable. But still we smiled and did stupid office small talk and functioned like civilized human beings because you can't just "be honest" and go up to your coworker and explain how the looks on her face, tone of her voice, clothes she wears, her fake tan and even the wretched quality of her silly back tattoo offends your sensibilities.

You smile. And you say hi. How are you? It's Friday. Got any plans for the weekend? Not really.

Because that's how it works in cubicle hell. It's just how it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 07:58 PM

685 posts, read 1,105,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I've had situations where I've had to work with someone and we just were straight up not compatible human beings. Everything about her would get on my nerves and everything about me would make her uncomfortable. But still we smiled and did stupid office small talk and functioned like civilized human beings because you can't just "be honest" and go up to your coworker and explain how the looks on her face, tone of her voice, clothes she wears, her fake tan and even the wretched quality of her silly back tattoo offends your sensibilities.

You smile. And you say hi. How are you? It's Friday. Got any plans for the weekend? Not really.

Because that's how it works in cubicle hell. It's just how it works.
This is why I hope to NEVER return back to cubicle hell. But it looks like I just may be.

I don't know, but being civil and polite is one thing. Then there's just fake. Like my in-laws If I truly dislike someone, there's no situation where I am going to actively seek out for their company, and that's even to make small talk. I'm not going be inviting you out to lunch or going out with you for after work drinks. I worked with 2 of these types of 2 faces at my first job out of college. They would actively seek out everyone in the office to go out with them, chat it up all day, go out for lunches, then when the door was shut and the person wasn't there, they would spend an hour literally destroying the person behind their back. From the type of clothes they wore, how the person ate Just 2 straight up jealous witches. Both are still working at the company, in the same positions and the "worst" one out of the 2 is STILL single and living alone, but now living her life as "Best aunt in the world" on FB. Can you imagine no man would want this jem?

Old 09-02-2014, 10:16 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
This is why I hope to NEVER return back to cubicle hell. But it looks like I just may be.

I don't know, but being civil and polite is one thing. Then there's just fake. Like my in-laws If I truly dislike someone, there's no situation where I am going to actively seek out for their company, and that's even to make small talk. I'm not going be inviting you out to lunch or going out with you for after work drinks. I worked with 2 of these types of 2 faces at my first job out of college. They would actively seek out everyone in the office to go out with them, chat it up all day, go out for lunches, then when the door was shut and the person wasn't there, they would spend an hour literally destroying the person behind their back. From the type of clothes they wore, how the person ate Just 2 straight up jealous witches. Both are still working at the company, in the same positions and the "worst" one out of the 2 is STILL single and living alone, but now living her life as "Best aunt in the world" on FB. Can you imagine no man would want this jem?

Of course I tend to say that the most sane place lies in the middle. And having lived all over the US, I've observed that people are more elaborately "fake" on the west coast, and more brutally "honest" on the east coast (sometimes even at the cost of casual politeness.) It is perhaps an over-generalization. I'm just saying that I experienced more of one end of that spectrum than the other, in my time spent on either side of the country.

I can get along with pretty much anyone. There are just the rare people out there that rub me the wrong way for no good reason at all. And much as I might dislike them, and kvetch about it to my husband, I would never speak ill of them to anyone that might interact with them in any way. If I talk about someone behind their back, it will be to someone who they've got almost no chance of ever even meeting in person. It's basically anonymous fussing, if I really need to vent, and is more about me than that other person. I fully recognize when my grievances are petty and ridiculous, on the (again--rare) occasion that it occurs.

So I won't walk up to them and "say to their face" that I simply can't stand them...but I also won't play games that will cause them harm or create drama or friction in the workplace. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:22 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
Freinemies also happens a lot when you are young and run with a clique. A bunch of you hang out a lot but 2 of you don't like each other that much, but you are both there because of other people you are close too in the crew. So, perhaps y'all are civil when the crew is together but snap at each other sometimes, or talk crap when the other is not there. Common scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships