Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 12:30 PM

715 posts, read 791,896 times

Advertisements

how many people that you have on Facebook would you class as your real friends?

i would say about 4 , they are the ones who had a good relationship with in real life , the others are really people who went to same school or live in the same town as me really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 12:56 PM

541 posts, read 1,145,584 times
I am very new to FB, Dec 2013, my husband actually set my page up for me because I was going to New Zealand with my son, to visit relatives, and he wanted to see pics of our trip, in "real time."

I have 5 really great friends. They all have FB but one rarely uses it. My total FB friends is about 50 people. Some of my friends are relatives of the 5 great friends.

I will not be "friends" w/anyone that I have not had a relationship with in real life. With the exception of distant relatives, who I may or may not have met.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:14 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,277,314 times
I have 306 FB friends. They are all people I have had personal contact with at some point in my life. None of them are "online only" friends.
  • 26 are family members
  • 15 are friends who are "like family" to me. If they called me at 2 in the morning in need of help, I would be there for them (if geography weren't a problem)
  • ~50 or so are friends who if they called up and said "lets hang out" (and geography weren't an issue) I would arrange my schedule and make it happen, because I enjoy spending time with them
  • ~100 or so are friends who I'm not particularly close to, but when our paths cross we have a good time together
  • The balance are acquaintances

Old 08-15-2014, 01:22 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
of the 243 I would say that about 10% are friends in real life. 10% are "business related" friends and 10% are family (even though I have never met some of them). The rest are people I have picked up along the way, somehow. Some are as close and dear as "real friends" however.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-15-2014, 01:26 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
All of my people on Facebook are folks that I would invite to a party at my house. I don't friend people just for fun or as a popularity contest. I genuinely like these folks and want to know about their lives. That is, until they turn out to be religious zealots, uber political, or just downright nuts online. Then off they go.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:19 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
I have 191 friends on facebook. The vast majority are people I would feel comfortable inviting to a party at my place if they were in the area.

There are a handful who are "friends of friends" whom I just friended for extraneous reasons - maybe 10 or so? Interestingly, one guy puts up such interesting posts, I have not unfriended him even though the reason we were "introduced" via FB is long over. (He was briefly considering moving to my area.) His posts amuse me, and apparently my posts amuse him. We have never communicated directly aside from sending and accepting the friend requests, but we've been "liking" each other's posts regularly for the past year or so. And frankly, I'm not big on the "liking" so it's a little weird, but in a fun way. The stuff he posts is pretty hysterical.

However, I joined a group that meets weekly recently and I accepted a bunch of friend requests from the other members. Two of them are kind of annoying because they are always trying to push some product they are selling. When I leave the group in a few weeks, I will probably unfriend them.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:23 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,374,299 times
One. Then again, I only have 20 FB "friends" which is plenty-I don't need more junk to ignore.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:27 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,362,200 times
all of them are either family or friends I've known from school, or known at one point in my life. Some friends who are on my FB I still associate with regularly. I'm not a fan using the word "real" since friends come and go and everyone go through phases of life, for example, childhood friends, schooling, college, marriage, kids, etc.... They all have a purpose even when we have drifted apart. All the friends I have, I've met IRL. I don't do "online friends" on FB.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:35 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,520,937 times
I mostly just have my close friends, aunts, uncles, cousins, and some other friends that I have on facebook. I don't have thousands of friends on the site.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:37 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,277,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
All of my people on Facebook are folks that I would invite to a party at my house.
That's an interesting way to look at it. I don't think I could limit my number of friends just to what I can fit in my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships