Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 08:29 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times

Advertisements

Let it go and move on with your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 08:32 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Perhaps he thought your Father would tell you since his Father was friends with your Father.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:36 PM

76 posts, read 102,413 times
Some people just don't like talking about this stuff. You guys do live in different states and don't see each other much, correct? So maybe since there's distance and this sort of thing is difficult to talk about, he decided not to say anything. Maybe his conversations with you were a distraction from the grief.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:06 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
I don't think it would be out of line to call him and say " I was really shocked to just now learn that your Dad passed away a year ago. Why didn't you tell me ?" To me, that would the the normal thing to say to a friend.

Don

Old 08-23-2014, 11:28 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGuitarGoddess View Post
Some people just don't like talking about this stuff. You guys do live in different states and don't see each other much, correct? So maybe since there's distance and this sort of thing is difficult to talk about, he decided not to say anything. Maybe his conversations with you were a distraction from the grief.
Than don't post it on FB. That is a total contradiction of what you said. That's absolutely fine if it is too difficult to talk about, but than keep it off the Internet.

Posting it on FB is going to get all kinds of reactions. Including the one from the OP who is understandably surprised they were never told.

You want to be private about your loss, than be private about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I don't think it would be out of line to call him and say " I was really shocked to just now learn that your Dad passed away a year ago. Why didn't you tell me ?" To me, that would the the normal thing to say to a friend.

Don
Agree, pick up the phone and call. I might word it a little differently and include an "I'm so sorry, I just now found out on FB, I wish you had told me".

What is wrong with direct communication these days?

Old 08-23-2014, 11:46 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,420,117 times
Quote:

Don
This ~

Old 08-23-2014, 11:47 PM

76 posts, read 102,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Than don't post it on FB. That is a total contradiction of what you said. That's absolutely fine if it is too difficult to talk about, but than keep it off the Internet.

Posting it on FB is going to get all kinds of reactions. Including the one from the OP who is understandably surprised they were never told.

You want to be private about your loss, than be private about it.

Agree, pick up the phone and call. I might word it a little differently and include an "I'm so sorry, I just now found out on FB, I wish you had told me".

What is wrong with direct communication these days?
I'm not the one who said anything about posting it on Facebook. Ruth4Truth was the one who talked about posting it on Facebook, not me. If you're going to quote me, get your information straight first.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:00 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,889 times
If he told you, it would seem like he was looking for pity. It has nothing to do with you. He just doesn't run his business online. Call him and express sympathy.

Also, you might not be as close at you think.....

Old 08-24-2014, 07:59 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,414,405 times
Quote:

Don

This is not appropriate to say. Your friend is the one who suffered a terrible loss. This statement is all about YOU. Why didn't YOU tell me..... I was shocked...... It also puts your friend on the defensive, as if he was obligated to tell you. You have probably never had the experience of having a parent die at an early age, am I right? Unless you have, you probably cannot relate to what he has gone through.

You actually are not very close with your friend right now. Even though college is still a vivid memory, you guys are long distance casual friends.

I completely agree that you should reach out to him, if you care about you. You should NOT post a condolence on Facebook. That is just.... ugh..... You should call him and say...

"I am so sorry to hear about your Dad." That's it. Let him talk. If he doesn't, don't put him on this spot. If he does talk, it is lovely to say something nice about his Dad, and recall a nice memory where he was there. Maybe try to go visit him this year. Call him again next month, and ask how he is doing. Don't forget him.

Do you really think he should have had the extra burden of calling every friend he knew from college and tell them? And then have to talk it through... answer nosey questions again and again and again. You are owed nothing for him. He is the one who may have suffered through something awful. It is terrible when a parent dies young, and none of your friends have any idea what it can be like.

And maybe think back on what your conversations with your friend were actually like over the past couple years.... Did you ever ask any REAL questions about him, his family, his worries, his fears.... Maybe there is a reason why he didn't think you could handle this information or support him during this hard time.

Or maybe he is just a private person. That's ok.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:57 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
I had a similar situation happen to me when I was in college.

I had a long time friend that I had known since 2nd grade. We'd been good friends up through 8th grade, then drifted apart a bit in 9th-12th because our high school was so big and we didn't see each other much anymore. However, I'd spent countless times at his parents house growing up, sleepovers, camp, baseball teams, etc.

His dad was a bit older, my friend was "an accident."

We went off to the same college and decided to be roommates in the dorm for our freshman year. For sophomore year I moved to an apt, he decided to stay in the dorms with another friend of his for his freshman year. Saw each other every now and then during college, then after graduation I moved back to Dallas. My parents lived just a block or two away from his parents, so when I was back I decided to stop by and say hi.

Now, about 99% of the time when I was ever at their house, his dad was on the couch, watching tv. He was retired even when I was a kid. This particular visit, he was not on the couch. My friends mom invited me in, was glad to see me, etc. We were talking for a bit and Bob never came out to say hi or anything, so I asked where he was.

My friend's mom started tearing up and said that he had died. I felt horrible for asking, but I had no clue. My friend never said a word, apparently he had died right before graduation.

After that it became clear that my friend was trying to distance himself from most of his old friends, didn't want to hang out with us or have anything to do with us. None of us really ever figured out why, but for me, I was ok with that after how horrible I felt for sticking my foot in my mouth when visiting his mother. I still feel bad about it, and this was almost 20 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships