Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 06:46 AM

341 posts, read 455,884 times

Advertisements

What do you make of this?

A friend that I used to text with very regularly and at great length with will now text on a weekly basis "Have a good week", "hope you're having a great day", "haven't heard from you in a while", "Hope you are well"….but never seems to have time/interest in engaging in anything much more than that.

Why bother initiating contact???

Not really an "etiquette" question, I guess. Is this texting code for something that I don't know or understand? Feels like a fade out, except when I don't bother trying to initiate contact or responding quickly I keep getting these kinds of texts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 07:13 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
Don't overthink it. If he texts "have a good week," that's all it is. He's wishing you a good week. Thank him and wish him the same. There's no code or deeper meaning. If there is, then you both need to grow up. If you're going to have a conversation, pick up the phone and talk. I don't get the point of having a conversation over text message.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:26 AM

587 posts, read 915,984 times
That sounds kind of weird to me. If it's a fade-out, why text at all? When you text back, does this person respond or ignore you?

Old 11-04-2014, 07:47 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
I think it is him staying in touch.....but it is evidence that the "regular" you mentioned was too time consuming. Just respond in kind, unless you really have something to say. I personally find it very annoying to hav folks tet lame stuff, to which th standard reply is "k" Seriously, why bother.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:05 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,012,365 times
It is an app what sends you. I don't think he know about it. the same sort of app is for twitter to send tweets behalf of you. Look like your friend has purchased an app and it sends to every one who is in his contact list.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:09 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
If it's not an app and he sends that it sounds like he is trying to engage you unsuccessfully. If you reply, does he reply back? Those texts sound like he is interested in chatting. It would be weird to send those and then not reply to you when you write back.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Don't overthink it. If he texts "have a good week," that's all it is. He's wishing you a good week. Thank him and wish him the same. There's no code or deeper meaning. If there is, then you both need to grow up. If you're going to have a conversation, pick up the phone and talk. I don't get the point of having a conversation over text message.
Well, the first time he pulled out the "have a good week", i thought…"oh, guess he's having a busy week and I won't be hearing from him". But it also seemed like the beginning of a fade out bcs the previous exchanges felt off. I've known him for a long time and he's never wished me a good week. Just seemed very out of character. He lives overseas, so phone conversations are far and few between, and texting is just the easier means of communication in this case.

Last edited by Charlotterising; 11-04-2014 at 11:56 AM..

Old 11-04-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlowvart View Post
That sounds kind of weird to me. If it's a fade-out, why text at all? When you text back, does this person respond or ignore you?
Exactly. That's what I'm not understanding. Maybe he doesn't want there to be bad blood? I'll text back but it never really turns into a conversation. One or two texts back and forth and then nothing. Until he pops up again with a "hope you are well" or whatever.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I think it is him staying in touch.....but it is evidence that the "regular" you mentioned was too time consuming. Just respond in kind, unless you really have something to say. I personally find it very annoying to hav folks tet lame stuff, to which th standard reply is "k" Seriously, why bother.
Also, exactly right. Why bother? If the only response is "you too", or "thanks", not really sure what the point is. I know he is super busy with work right now, so maybe it's his version of staying in touch, but if it IS a fade out, just fade out already!!

Old 11-04-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
It is an app what sends you. I don't think he know about it. the same sort of app is for twitter to send tweets behalf of you. Look like your friend has purchased an app and it sends to every one who is in his contact list.
No, it's not being automatically generated. It's definitely him. Just a weird, disengaged version. One of the strangest was "hope you're having a good night"…am I supposed to respond to that? Or "Just saying hi". Huh? Or better yet, the 11pm text that said "Haven't heard from you in awhile"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships