Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 04:37 PM

35,091 posts, read 31,339,345 times

Advertisements

When people from back home talk to me, it's often to vent their sorrows and frustrations. Outside of my immediate family, I am thinking of telling these folks I no longer want to hear it and quit talking to me. Have you ever just cut out a large amount of people from your life and moved on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 04:58 PM

6,563 posts, read 8,402,207 times
No, I haven't.

Judging from your many posts about the folks from your hometown, you have nothing but contempt for them. Perhaps you and them would benefit from a "break up".

Old 11-02-2014, 05:10 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,767,626 times
I haven't either.

I do agree with the above poster about your attitude toward people from your old home town. It does seem severe to tell them to quit talking to you . Perhaps it might be better to slowly slip out of their lives. Respond to texts, emails, phone calls, etc. very, very slowly. Over a period of months, just back away from them and cease contact. No need to be in your face rude about it.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:15 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
If you move away and don't leave a forwarding address and change your email and cell phone numbers and get an unlisted house phone (if you get one) no one can contact you anyway.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:18 PM

587 posts, read 916,307 times
Yes, I've cut out a lot of people all at once-- generally for the sort of reason you are alluding to. I realize that the relationship has devolved to the point where I am just providing narcissist supply. They don't care about me or anything I'm doing - they just want me to listen. I think that when you finally notice that one person is doing this, you suddenly see that you've been letting four or five people get away with it.

I don't burn any bridges, but I just stop making myself available for those kinds of conversations.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:53 PM

9,110 posts, read 6,329,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
When people from back home talk to me, it's often to vent their sorrows and frustrations. Outside of my immediate family, I am thinking of telling these folks I no longer want to hear it and quit talking to me. Have you ever just cut out a large amount of people from your life and moved on?
Yes I did this but at the time it was unintentional. It took place before the advent of cell phones, email and the internet. My parents moved away from my hometown about one year after my high school graduation. I had no idea what my new address or land-line phone number was going to be so I shared no contact information with anyone I knew from that town. I guess the similarity with your situation is that I could reconnect with people if I wanted to but I have no desire to do such a thing. Effectively I have cut them out of my life, only without any forethought.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:08 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,014,228 times
No I haven't. If some one wants to share there sorrow or problems with me that is fine. I am willing to listen and willing to give moral support if needed. That is call being human.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:59 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,490,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
No, but I did with everyone from high school after I went to college in another state.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:24 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Yep. I went to 4 different high schools and have lived for years at a stretch in five different states since then. I've started over many times, and sometimes reinvented myself a bit when I did (although that was back in the high school days, as an adult I am fairly solid in my self.) I was ready to leave WA when the military moved us because I had multiple friends who made me feel taken advantage of. I am a generous person, and I give voluntarily to people I care about, sometimes. But I don't like it when they begin to view me as a resource and become demanding, or just show up and TAKE. So I felt it was good to leave and move on. I have had little contact with most of the people I knew there.

Usually when I move away, I don't have to consciously decide to cut people from my life, it just sort of happens. I don't call them, they don't call me. *shrug* I still have 'em on Facebook but that's about it.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:03 PM

8,273 posts, read 8,664,411 times
Sure.

It wasn't intentional. I moved. I keep in contact with 3, 2 of them related. 2 of them 85+.

If you ignore them they will slowly fade away. You don't have to say anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships