Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 02:19 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
If you have hep C and keep drinking you'll be dead a lot sooner. Like, before age 50. The rest of the discussion is irrelevant.
Exactly. Even if getting drunk alone two or three times a week were normal, for the OP drinking should be totally off the table due to the hep C.

The fact that the OP is trying to justify drinking at all says to me it is a problem. It doesn't matter if it is okay for every other person in the universe to get drunk every day; for the OP drinking 2 or 3 days a week will kill her. Maybe that isn't fair, but it's reality. It's sad, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 03:14 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,313,615 times
It is a problem for you and your mom should worry if you ever let her know. Drinking to get drunk is dangerous.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:51 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
and then people bring up that alcoholism is hereditary blah blah blah. if that's the case, I should be robbing liquor stores and chugging whiskey every morning before I wake up to ward off the shakes. one of my uncles was an alcoholic by the age of 10. hell, my mom was an alcoholic by 12. comparatively speaking, they had much better childhoods than me. yet, I grew up in **** and turned out to be the first generation to get a college degree and be somewhat successful. so whaddya all think? by your definitions, I am already screwed. oh well, I guess I should move myself closer to the tree from which I fell so everyone will be correct. because people on here are always right. we wouldn't want to rock that boat would we?
Drinking is a CHOICE! I should be a drunk, drug addict, hooker/striper judging by the people in my family including parents and grandparents. I'm NONE of those things. Never have been either. Have NO desire to be. Didn't drink any alcohol until I was 24 or 25. Have never done any drugs except for prescription andI won't take narcotic painkillers because I have a bad reaction to them....barfing your guts up is not what you need when you're in pain. Oh and I've definitely never been a hooker or a striper. You couldn't pay me to do either one!

See it's all about choices. I choose not to do those things. My sister on the other hand made the choice to drink and do drugs. She is a miserable person. She's a functioning alcoholic. She hates that I don't drink and that I'm boring. I also don't miss work because I'm hungover!

Old 11-14-2014, 07:11 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
btw, there is loads of evidence that alcoholism isn't an inherited trait. AA still holds on to that belief and its part of our common beliefs, but most medical professionals who deal with addiction accept that it is not related to genetics.
Since when? I work in healthcare and that is definitely not true. More than ever they think there is a genetic basis for alcoholism.

Gene for Alcoholism is Discovered (GABA & GABRG3 - Mental Health Center: Medical Information on Mental Illness

Old 11-14-2014, 07:35 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Since when? I work in healthcare and that is definitely not true. More than ever they think there is a genetic basis for alcoholism.

Gene for Alcoholism is Discovered (GABA & GABRG3 - Mental Health Center: Medical Information on Mental Illness
Do more research. Best of luck.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:37 PM

How could we have an alcoholism gene when alcohol wasn't around since the beginning of time. Lpn maybe? Really, the vast majority of advanced professionals do not call alcoholism a genetic disease. There is still debate if it's related to brain/trauma issues or if it's choice. Trauma is a top contender.

Please, do who ever you serve a favor and do real genuine research on it.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:39 PM

Sorry let me add, non-aa addiction practitioners. Regular practitioners are taught as doctrine. Aa docs try to prove falsehood. The objective ones...he'll let me know if you want some references to learn more about it.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:41 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Do more research. Best of luck.
If you have so much info, why aren't you backing up your statements with links to medical journals?

Old 11-14-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
If you have so much info, why aren't you backing up your statements with links to medical journals?
I will...tomorrow if you want to hear it and absorb it, read it.

I'm tired of doing research for people who are just unwilling to sit and weigh it.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:49 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
None of this has anything to do with the OP. And really, knowledge of an alcoholism gene would only be useful to someone with alcoholic parents who hadn't started drinking problematically yet. Once someone's crossed that line, it's a moot point as to whether their genes are to blame or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships