Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 09:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I have never seen a single post like there, where the OP gives her lecture and then combats with full force every.single.thing anyone says that is a different view from hers, or pointing out any flaws in her argument. This manic "come back" is epic. Who posts like this?
I post like this when I am sitting at home with a very nasty cold, coughing my head off, with plenty of spare time on my hands.

If you don't like my style, you really don't have to read any of my posts. And if you're not going to add anything but ridicule to the conversation, frankly I wish you WOULDN'T read them. I've told you repeatedly that I appreciate a lot of what you've added to the conversation, but your last few posts have only been insulting.

That's a pity. Read my status line - I believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 10:01 AM

13,432 posts, read 9,962,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm glad you got something out of the thread, GiGi.

Here's the deal - disagreement doesn't bother me. But if people are going to argue their point, I'll argue mine - at least I will till I either:

1. Get bored with it
2. They get so disrespectful that I just decide to quit interacting with them, or
3. I realize I'm arguing with a brick wall

There are several posters on this thread who, it seems, don't disagree with much of what I'm ACTUALLY saying, but are twisting what I'm saying and arguing with their version, or what they THINK I'm saying. Since they present a warped version of what I said and then argue about that, I (being a patient person ) come back and explain that, "No - that's not what I said. I actually AGREE with much of what you're saying, but you're arguing about something I didn't even say." Then I try to explain - again - what I thought I said very clearly the first...and second...and fifteenth time.

But guess what - I'm done with this for several posters on this thread, so unless someone new shows up with questions or ideas or challenges or opinions they'd like to discuss, I expect that the thread will sort of phase out as they all do eventually.

I'll discuss and explain and debate with anyone, for days, weeks, MONTHS even (years when it comes to real life relationships), who believes in discussing things in a mutually respectful mode. But I have less patience with people who just want to argue or insult - ESPECIALLY people on internet forums who jump at every opportunity across multiple threads to argue with me - which frankly, I think is weird.
I don't know if this is a dig at me, but seeing as I do quite vehemently disagree with some things you post in some threads on a regular basis, it might well be. You can feel free to say so out loud.

So yes - I personally do disagree with your posts quite often and sometimes it's not the content as much as the absolutism which begs a dissenting response.

I don't think it's particularly weird that "people" argue with you regularly. They certainly do with me. Thank goodness. That's what's kind of fun about a forum. Dissent does not equal misunderstanding nor misrepresentation, nor even twisting of your ideas. It just means there are people that don't agree. We still get it.

Whether that person is nasty, either here or IRL - well, everyone has a right to their opinion. I don't think I've been disrespectful. YMMV.

I find it terribly ironic that you want to cut off communication with people in this thread that you find disagreeable (or whatever term you want to substitute) given the premise.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I don't know if this is a dig at me, but seeing as I do quite vehemently disagree with some things you post in some threads on a regular basis, it might well be. You can feel free to say so out loud.

So yes - I personally do disagree with your posts quite often and sometimes it's not the content as much as the absolutism which begs a dissenting response.

I don't think it's particularly weird that "people" argue with you regularly. They certainly do with me. Thank goodness. That's what's kind of fun about a forum. Dissent does not equal misunderstanding nor misrepresentation, nor even twisting of your ideas. It just means there are people that don't agree. We still get it.

Whether that person is nasty, either here or IRL - well, everyone has a right to their opinion. I don't think I've been disrespectful. YMMV.

I find it terribly ironic that you want to cut off communication with people in this thread that you find disagreeable (or whatever term you want to substitute) given the premise.
As I stated in the post you quoted, I only cut off communication with people on this forum when I either get totally bored with the topic, or they insist on being rude and inflammatory, or I realize I am beating my head against a rock.

I'm responding to you so apparently I'm not yet at that point with you. Lucky you, huh?

If I am going to quit discussing something with someone, I usually give them a heads' up by the way, either on the thread or in a PM.

You're argumentative on this forum. You enjoy a good debate. You're opinionated and feisty and, refreshingly, you're articulate (which is always nice to see).

Generally when you debate or discuss things with me - which is often - you're debating the content of what I posted, so thanks for the clarification of your impetus. Interesting.

And since we're clarifying, I'll clarify something with you. I don't think it's weird that people argue with me sometimes - and once again, that's not what I said. What I DO find weird is the occasional internet forum member who takes every opportunity to jump in and argue with other members who they, for whatever reason, seem to find irresistible when it comes to needling and nitpicking. If the shoe fits, wear it. If not, toss it aside.

And I have no problem addressing my issues with you directly. My main issue with you is what you just did - rephrasing and misrepresenting what I say. I didn't say "I find it weird that people argue with me regularly." Those are your words, your misrepresentation of what I clearly said. I find that particular tactic of yours irritating - but you find my tactics irritating too, so maybe that makes us "even." Har!

But I personally don't "have it in" for anyone on this forum. If I agree with something you write - on this thread or any other one - I'll tell you so. In fact, I have probably repped you often time since you're a regular and you express your opinions on many topics.

I like to find common ground with people and consequently, some of my favorite posters on this forum are people who I sometimes disagree with vehemently - and thankfully many of them apparently feel the same way - we've talked about it among ourselves.

Peace out!

Old 11-22-2014, 12:34 PM

You know what - I tried to come back in after working in the yard, and tried to delete my last few posts, because I think that we've wandered far away from the OP and into the realm of personal arguments and some insulting and I don't like for threads to degenerate to that level.

If I've offended anyone, I apologize. That has not been my intention and I don't want it to take away from the topic. I respect the differing viewpoints that some posters have offered, and I appreciate the agreement that others have offered. I don't mean to make this a personal showdown with anyone and I shouldn't have allowed myself to go there.

And no, no host contacted me, and I haven't received any infractions or warnings. I'm saying this on my own accord and because I mean it.

If anyone would like to discuss the actual topic any more, I'd love to continue. But if not - that's fine. It's been interesting!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Old 12-07-2014, 03:13 PM

Thanks, sort of, for the weird "sort of" compliment someone repped me with! You didn't leave your name so I can't PM you.

I always leave my name when I rep someone with a comment, and I also don't make negative comments in reps. However, your comment also included a compliment so for that I thank you.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:46 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,637,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I agree with you. Life is short. You don't have time to waste energy trying to "model behavior" to people. The implication is that by modeling good behavior, you will encourage others to adopt such behavior. Nothing could be more naive. Some people are unwilling to change and there is nothing you can do to inspire or change them. You will just waste your time and energy on these people when you could have better spent that time on those who appreciate and seek your attention. I cut out toxic relationships from my life. I am much healthier and in a better state of mind as a result. Negative people spread negative energy. I am not dramatic. I don't have a dramatic breakup or fight. In most of these relationships, the other person doesn't know I cut them out. I am still civil with them but I don't engage them or waste my time talking to them.Even with toxic family, you can be in contact without being actively involved with them.

Agreed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships